Register now to get rid of these ads!

L88 Chevy Flywheel.., any bad experiences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, May 9, 2012.

1. I want to use one of these an internal balanced 400 SBC build. They are 15 lbs., made of "nodular" iron and were spec'd by chevy as their "Hi Perf" flywheel. I know many people have used them over the years in all kinds of applications. My only concern.., has anyone had one come apart. This engine will make 550+ and probably never go north of 7000 rpm and we will be using a scatter shield. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Ric.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I ran one in a '68 Vette that was only used for street racing. The car was originally an L88 car but I was running a roller cammed 454 with a ton of nitrous. I also used the L88 clutch and had great results.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

You may or may not like a lighter flywheel on the street.They can make the engine feel lumpier,engine slows down faster when you lift and smooth shifts before more effort....Or you may like the faster response....

4. I had an L88 Schiefer flywheel that I installed in my '65 Belair. It was made to use with an un-dampened clutch disc, guess how I messed that up? It worked except it was noisy and I took it apart the next day and got the right disc.

I think it should hold up fine, I'm sure the factory 454/465 HP engines came with something similar. Of all the things I've detonated, a flywheel was never one of them, even at 7500 RPMs.

Bob

5. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

I run one on 427 inch small block, north of 600 hp and 8000 rpm with no problem

6. trbomax

trbomax

Not to be a smart ass or anything,but how are you guys swapping balanced flywheels from 427 bb and sb's for unbalanced 454 flywheels? Just askin.

7. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

my 427 small block is internally balanced, but to answer your question any combination can be balanced.

8. trksmth

trksmth

I ran them in my stock cars and my '32 B/Comp Coupe.

I've used them '20 plus years and no troubles running them up to 8200 rpms. I have had four, still have three. Mike

9. trbomax

trbomax

So a balanced wheel from a 427 can be made "unbalanced" and used on a 454?

10. sdluck

sdluck

No a 454 can be internally Balanced

12. fms427

fms427

I used one of these flywheels on my 69 L88 road race car for many seasons - 7000 rpm shift point, north of 700 hp - no issues. Used a Centerforce dual friction clutch. I now use the same combo on my 69 427 street car - a little milder, but not much.........I like a light flywheel in a street car.....makes it rev nice and fast :D

13. Thanks, great info, we are gonna use it.