Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hagerty insurance question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, May 10, 2012.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I know most of you on here have Hagerty. I called today to try and get my '53 insured. I told the lady that I would like to insure my modified car for the agreed value of $10,000, and it will be kept indoors at my shop. Everything going good so far, then she tells me that I can only drive the car to shows, parades, and club meetings. I thought Hagerty had no driving/mileage restrictions??? Fair enough, I'm not intending to use it as a daily anyways. Then when I told her that the car was lowered 2-3inches she put me on hold so she could talk to her manager. Moments later she comes back and says "seeing that your car is lowered, we have to insure it as a "lowrider". To classify for "lowrider" insurance you need to insure it for a minimum of $15,000, and it absolutely must be kept indoors at YOUR residence. Then she promptly said "were sorry we can't help you. Goodbye." and pretty much hung up on me.

Has anyone else on here with a lowered custom, NOT ON BAGS, had to insure as a "lowrider" ? Honestly, I don't see my car as being worth $15k

Was this a fluke?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Call Grundy. They gave me no hassles whatsoever and are cheaper than Haggerty.

Don

3. I haven't had any issues with Hagerty like that, and I have lowered cars and answered as much to them on their questionnaire when applying for the insurance or changing vehicles.

4. harley rider

harley rider

5. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

sounds like you got someone having a bad day or new to the office.....i had nothing but a good experience with hagerty......

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I would say that was a fluke. Maybe she's new there. Call back and talk to someone else. Lowered does not = Lowrider. I have 3 cars with Hagerty, all are lowered but none are "lowriders".

7. The insurance is only as good as the agent.

And most of us don't use hagerty at all, a lot of us have figured out that you can insure an altered vehicle with a standard insurance company by insuring with an agreed value and drive it just like a real car.

8. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Hagerty was no problem for me.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Sounds like she knows nothing about cars. Too bad for Hagerty. My car is lowered and it's not considered a "lowrider" by Hagerty. They have pictures. I guess you can't argue with "stupid". Call Grundy, maybe they have agents that are more intelligent about cars.

10. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Grundy=cheaper, better coverage, no hassles, very easy to work with

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I've had Hagerty for years. All my 'stuff' is "agreed value" and there are no mileage/driving restrictions, height questions, labels, or any other nonsense. I agree with porknbeaner - your service with any company is only as good as your agent. Sounds like Hagerty needs to get in touch with a few of their independents and remind them where the money comes from. That "lady" might need an attitude adjustment. Maybe she used to work for the post office?

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I know someone who was denied insurance with Haggerty on a roadster with a Lincoln v12 flathead engine that had 5 carbs on it, 3 of which were dummies. The reasoning was that it made too much power!? WTF

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

This is fact, thats why I changed about 6 years ago.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

All this was through Hagerty directly, not a broker.

After the conversation I just went back and completed the app online, everything went through and NOT lowrider status. Now I guess I have to wait 1-2 business days to get "reviewed" and accepted.

My car is all apart for paint right now, so I didn't have a "good" picture. So I called a second time, this time different lady luckily. She told me to just take a pic of the car as it looks today send it in with a note explaining whats up, then in a week after its all purty send another picture. Hopefully this won't botch things up, and I'll get a policy rolling. Then its off to the DMV to get my year of make plates legit

15. turbochick

turbochick

Really? I'm surprised that you can get through to those people....

16. yblock292

yblock292

Are you dealing with the home office? I have heard many stories about "local" agents, but with dealing with the head shed seems things work out good. Look at my recent thread about them and you can see how good they are to deal with. Good luck!

17. i have them and have been very happy so far. there is a 3000 mile a year limit and it cant be a everday driver - primary sorce of trans. they even contacted me 2 weeks ago and asked me to participate in a drivers training class for young drivers that had never been around hot rods with manual trans. it will be held at atlanta motor speedway in the infield. i had to decline as i will not be in town.

18. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

If you don't have Grundy, you are paying too much.

19. no55mad

no55mad

My Grundy policy recently expired and they never sent a renewal notice. Havn't they gone through some reorganization recently? Maybe they don't need the business anymore - I never had a claim with them.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I didn't get a renewal notice, but as it happened, I was calling to renew anyway. The explanation was that they were still switching everything back to their people. If you policy is coming due, just call and renew.

21. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Never had a problem with hagerty, you must have gotten a hold of lawanda when she was about to go on break and file her extremely long nails

22. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Hagerty would not insure my 74 bronco because it was a 4x4 so I took all 5 cars to american collector car ins, No problems and its like 550 for 5 cars, one of which is being restored so its not driven. Since then I have talked to several people who have 4 wheel drives with hagerty. Maybe I should have called back for a new agent.

23. yblock292

yblock292

I sure would and ONLY deal with the home office

24. boldventure

boldventure

Why would you deal ONLY with the home office? Have you had problems with local agents?

25. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

GRUNDY GRUNDY GRUNDY! I have 3 cars insured with them currently all modified.

-Matt

26. sololobo

sololobo

Hagerty has always treated me well. But go with Grundy if you need to, they are excellent folks. ~sololobo~

27. yblock292

yblock292

I personally have not, but some of the local guys have.

28. Every time I've checked Grundy versus Hagerty on rates, Grundy has been anywhere from 30% to 50% HIGHER than Hagerty. Don't know how you guys are getting these "great rates" from Grundy.

29. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Has anyone tried Chrome? The Collector car insurance not the step after nickle plating. Results? Sorry, didn't mean to HJ your thread.

30. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Me too. Not that much higher, but still higher than Hagerty. Tom...