Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nosy neighbors should mind their own business!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer12, May 10, 2012.

1. Racer12

Racer12

So tired of people calling the City of Indianapolis about my car! It has air in all 4 tires and it runs, on private property too. Everytime I find a place where I can have my tools at and work on it some dumba$$ complains. So over it, it's not like I have parts all over the place and tons of cars on my property! You would think at city that is known for cars would be more sympathetic to them and their owners! Thanks Indy, you suck!!!

Bob

2. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

You should be telling this to your neighbors

3. Yup or help them out with their cars, that usually keep them quiet and let you do whatever you want!

4. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I don't recall seeing Oprah sign up here.

5. willys_truck

willys_truck

6. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I don't live in town for a reason. Not even in the small town near me.
    Everyone has at least 5 acres where I am and even though I can't say I never have an issue with a neighbor, I don't get that sort of issue.

7. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Move out to the country. I work in Indy, and live out in the sticks. I gladly drive 45 minutes one way to work so I dont have to put up with this type of bull shit.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

This can work both ways, ya just have to find out who is the caller

9. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I have tried to live in neighborhoods before. It never turns out good. Most folks who live in these things want a safe common looking and sounding place. They like the yards to look the same. They like the cars to look the same. They do not like anything that upsets the way things are. You scare them. Gearheads scare them. The threat of lower property values scare them. I tried to live in such a place once...it did not work so well.
    Like others we moved out of these places filled will scared folks and got bigger patches of land. 1 acre, 5 acres and then for me 10 acres solved the deal.
    If you are stuck then I suggest you throw a party invite the neighbors and give them free beer and food. Show them what you do and make friends(something that is hard to do with people who are not gearheads...remember they are afraid of us.
    Or move to a place away from the scared folks.

10. Funny. I live in a super green liberal city. I have at least 13 cars on or around my property......Never had a problem....(Knocks on wood).....;)

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some times it isn't your next door neighbors that are making the calls to city hall but the town busy bodies who take it upon them selves to ride around town and take notes on things that they don't like and take the notes to the city manager. When I lived in McGregor Tx there was a group of rich old ladies who rode around town in one of their white Cadillacs about twice a month writing notes about what they saw that they didn't like. My 34 Olds sedan that was basically a body shell and frame on wheels. The neighbor down the street's grass that was too tall, The guy four blocks over who had an old bus parked in his driveway. I had plates for my car and once I put them on it that was it the city didn't bother me.

If the car runs and drives and you have plates on it there isn't a lot of ruckus they can raise unless there is an ordinance against working on your car in the driveway.

Even if you aren't driving the car move it around on a regular basis so it looks like you are driving it. Just go out and back it out and turn it around facing the other direction or swap parking spots with another rig so it looks like you drive it. If it is sitting on grass move it out of the way every time you mow and mow where it sits so no grass is growing up around it. Even sticking it around behind the house for a couple of day so it looks like it is gone when people drive by doesn't hurt.

Also and this will piss some guys off but are they complaining about you working on the car or about the noise including the loud music that a lot of guys can't seem to be able to work without? If you play music when you work on the car walk out and down the street and see how far away you can hear it. The closest neighbor I have lives a quarter mile away and every weekend the thumping base from his band practice drowns out my radio in the garage or the tv in the house. He's pretty good as he shuts it off at 10:00 even when they have a party and he never bitches about my cannon when I fire it.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

gotta love the country! i live out in the country and i have cars .alot of cars.but mine are parked neat and in a row.no parts laying in the yard.now my neighbor is a different story, pure pig.had my property appraised not long ago. they told me that guy next door is makin you loose a few thousand dollars.at 25,000 lose, im stayin put.but i can understand someones fear.

13. smarg

smarg

Run for Office, change your city, your state, your country, change your world. :rolleyes:

In the meantime...

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Just like everything else, there are two sides to this story too. People who spend good money on a home to move into a quiet residential neighborhood also have rights. Working on a car in a home garage maybe worked in the 50's, but today things have changed. No one wants to hear banging and noise from the home next door, especially late at night.

Now, that being said, for a good part of my life I was one of the inconsiderate neighbors who had code enforcement called on me. I couldn't understand what the problem was because it was my property and I should have a right to do whatever I want on it without anyone bitching. (Kinda like the argument smokers use about they should have the right to smoke whenever and wherever they want). But just like the smokers rights end at the end of his cigarette and the other persons begin at his nose, my rights ended at my property line and any noise or fumes going beyond that were offensive to my neighbors, and they have rights too.

Maybe it comes with maturity, but I totally see where I was wrong and that I was a bad neighbor in that regard. I almost feel like going back to those neighbors and telling them I apologize for my lack of consideration and that they were right. Building cars really belongs in an area zoned for commercial use or on enough acrage that you are far away from the guy next door.

I know my opinion won't be popular, but I have to be honest.

Don

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Working on your old vehicle? You can do what ever you want on your own property in my opinion.It's also my opinion that if your shit starts spilling onto my property,and that includes stink,smoke,fluids and NOISE,I have the right to complain and get the shit back on your side of the fence.
    Number one town complaints about working on cars is the noise of tools and engine.If you have close neighbors be considerate or be an asshole.
    And in the long run the assholes bring down more restrictive codes.........
    My nearest neighbor is 400 feet away.If I'm making a lot of noise using a grinder for any period of time ,I close the shop door to limit noise.

16. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Maybe firing a cannon every so often might deter people from calling ANYONE about you? haha j/k

17. Hahaha that's exactly what I was thinkin!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

18. Bullshit. If you are considerate, you can build it without disturbing the neighbors..Just becuase you weren't doesn't mean others aren't. I don't make noise before 10 am and I stop making noise at 9pm or earlier. Usually 8. No noise on Sundays. If they are having a party I keep it quiet... Keep everything neat and tidy and what is outside runs and drives and you should be good. I KNOW my neighbors like me a lot more than the college kids having parties every weekend that lived here before.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  19. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Good for you.
    Personally, I don't even like to drive through that mass of humanity where you are!

20. Hmm that brings up another point. You all say it stops at the fence, well then i guess that goes for the screaming little brats when they play, or their dog barking at the mail man, or how about the guy that snores so loud it you can here it in your yard? How about when they decide to mow their yard at 7:00 am on a Saturday or Sunday? No matter what you do someone can find something offensive about it they don't like. It is just a lot different now as no one has the balls to talk to the person making the noise, they just run to the city and complain like a little baby. If someone is not from this neighborhood just drives around looking for problems well turn about is fair, i guarantee they have something that can be turned in on them. Everyone just needs to try and be considerate of each other and get along, if you have a problem talk to them and find a solution that works for both of you.

21. Can't blame you. All the Californian's in this city can't drive in the rain worth a crap.....;)

The funniest thing about it all is I get the most compliments from the Green car drivers( nissan leaf, toyota prius) I think they understand that I am recycling. :D

22. cederholm

cederholm

This is cool but not always needed. I live in a pretty big city. I treat my neighbors with respect, help them with minor auto and home issues, make sure their kids are safe when they are out playing on the street and I'm wrenching in the drive and no one gives me shit about my projects.

In fact one elderly neighbor whom I help fix things around her house for has offered (and I've excepted) the use of her garage to store one of my cars for free.

You might have some shitty neighbors, but have you talked to them? I can't believe they are all bad,

~ Carl

23. Racer12,

How about some pictures? Maybe it is just some little old lady with nothing better do do with her time (there is one in my neighborhood) or maybe there is more to the story and we are just hearing about the straw that broke the camel's back.

Charlie Stephens

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Very well put Don. When I was house hunting, I would look at the neighbors first. If they looked like the type to have junk cars, unmowed lawns, weeds growing everywhere, I moved on. One house I found, I noticed an old El Camino in the driveway. Standing in the bedroom, I could hear punk music coming from the neighbors garage. Again, I moved on. Where I lived now, I'm surrounded by retired folks. The neighborhood is manicured and quiet. My cars are off the street and driveway, tucked in the garage or behind a fence. I do start my cars in the morning, they are pushed in to the street first. I treat my neighbors the way I like to be treated.

25. I got a citation for having unregistered vehicals on my property. In my city they have to be in a closed garage to be unregistered. even in a fenced in back yard they are not okay. I think it is bull shit. cost me like 800 bucks to get them all registered

26. 4t7flat

4t7flat

If its so valuable you are saving it,it should be indoors.

27. so you can park your daily driver outside, But I can't park mine outside because it is old?

28. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

You're right.
    Being in town doesn't mean that you ARE going to have some of these problems.

Being out by yourself just reduces the risk of issues.
    Some day that nice elderly neighbor may get moved into a nursing home and the person who moves in could change the entire neighborhood for you.

The fact that I don't like lots of people around doesn't help the whole in town thing for me.

Where I am, there are no sidewalks. Anyone stepping foot off of the blacktop near your house better have a very good reason.

29. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I live in the country and can still see some of the issues some neighbors have. Yes, I have old shit. Yes, I have two parts cars outside that will be gone this summer. Yes, I have big dogs, kids, loud pipes, and noisy tools. I keep my kids and dogs in my own yard. I keep the junkers tucked away where they are not noticed from the street or my neighbors yards. I try not to make too much noise once it gets dark and I keep my house and yard looking nice.
    My one neighbor is part of the problem. Thank god I can't see his house from mine but the poor guy on the other side must be going insane. He has 10 cars in his driveway (1 or 2 might run), he has another 15 behind his house (some upside down), his yard is a pig sty, his house looks like a scene from a horror film, and besides the cars there are piles of junk laying everywhere. Like I said, I can't see it from my place so I ignore the fool but his other neighbor has been trying to sell his house for YEARS and can't even get an offer. If he walks out his door he sees the mess, if he opens his garage he sees the mess, if he drives down his driveway he has to drive next to the mess. Being in the country is one thing but some people can take it too far.

30. yes nosey neighbors should mind their own business and it doesn't matter where you live the odds are that they will not. People are just people and that is all they will ever be.