Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seafoam Engine Treatment, Does it work ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Apr 22, 2011.

1. While on the Jeep forum, looking info on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 5.9
    There were many posts, about Seafoam Engine Treatment

It is used to clean carbon deposits, and gunk out of crankcase and carbon deposits on valves and IAC motors.

Any users, that have had the good results ?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

[​IMG]

Sea Foam Motor Treatment for Gas and Diesel Engines is a 100% pure petroleum product that works instantly to clean deposits from internal engine parts and remove moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.

Product Features:
    •For use in gasoline and diesel engines, both 2- and 4-cycle; oxygen-sensor safe
    •Stabilizes and conditions fuels; helps pass emissions tests; use for engine storage; EPA registered
    •When added to crankcase (oil): removes moisture; cleans dirty parts; frees sticky lifters and rings; increases RPM vacuum and compression; cleans PCV valve systems; for use in most motor oils, including synthetic; 1 pint treats up to 10 quarts of oil
    •When added to gas or diesel fuel tank: cleans fuel injectors; lubricates upper cylinders; de-ices and removes moisture; stabilizes fuel; serves as diesel fuel conditioner and antigel; 1 pint treats up to 25 gallons of fuel
    •When used in air intake, vacuum or induction system: cleans carbon buildup; gives smoother idle; cures hesitation and pings; cleans intake valves, pistons and catalytic converter odors; restores power and pickup
    •When used in small (2- or 4-cycle) engines: cleans carbon buildup; stabilizes fuel; restores power; smoothes rough idle; cleans carburetor jets and injectors; removes moisture; 1 pint treats up to 25 gallons of gas or up to 12 gallons of gas/oil mix

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. slammed

slammed

Yes. A 327 that had not run for over 25 year's was running rough when 1 st started. By treating the fuel with this product, it began to smooth out (sticky valves). I am a believer in this treatment. Shop around and you find it on sale among the outlet stores.

3. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Sea Foam is one of the best Snake Oils around ! It does what the Mfg.says it does.

4. sololobo

sololobo

What Ol Dog said!! ~sololobo~

5. I swear by the stuff...

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

Get your engine nice and warm and SLOWLY pour it in that throttle body. When its empty shut it off and let it sit 2-3 hours. Then go drive it around in low gear until it quits smoking. Thats how we do it at our shop for best results. Just remember it will not fix broken or worn out parts, its just a cleaner.

7. I have a couple of friends that use it for fuel stabilization (instead of Sta-Bil) during the winter months when car may be started infrequently. They swear by it. I've never used it myself.

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

I don't like using products like that,some deposits are best left in place because stirring them up might cause more problems,especially in the crankcase.
    But...O/T..I use a older Honda 4x4 ATV for working in my woods.It used smoke badly on start up for a few minutes,not every time. I used the Sea Foam in the carb while the engine was running. I have to say the exhaust smoking stopped.

9. cryobug

cryobug

It's just like Ol Dawg said. Best thing you ever saw for sticky hyd. lifters

10. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Boaters swear by it. Here up north it's arguably the most popular fuel stabilizer for marine applications that there is. When used at 1 once per gallon it adds approx .40 to fuel costs but compared to having delicate outboard carb work done it's cheap insurance. My service tech now gets 100.00 per carb to clean and sync outboard carbs. Anything with a seasonal engine(lawnmower, chainsaw, snow blower, etc.) gets it at my house. Fuel just doesn't remain fresh for long.

11. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i use it in my boat and lawn equipment. good stuff!!!!

12. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I use it in anything I own with a motor. It works, period. Another thing I do is after I change the oil, I add half a quart of Mystery Oil to the crankcase and half to the gas. Fill up with premium. I run that tank down, then trow in a can of SeaFoam on the next fill up. I have literally bought cars that have been sitting in junkyards or in someones back yard for many years, used the Sea Foam as well as the Mystery Oil and drove those cars as daily drivers for years. The motors were never the reason why the came off the road. I've torn down at least 4 motors that all had well over 150k miles on them that I have used this system with and the insides were all spotless. Very little evidence of wear on the bearings, no scoring on the cylinders, the top end were all in great shape. Another product my good friend swears by is Z MAX. I know what everybody is thinking, that stuff is garbage, but I tell ya what. I have watched him beat the holy hell outta his off road stuff for years. When the motors get torn down, they are clean as a whistle. Good thing about that stuff is that you can also add it to the tranny and the rear.

13. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

i used it in some old gas that was in the tank of a stored vehicle prior to starting. I didn't know the condition of the engine, I changed the engine oil and filter, gas filter, put 2 cans of sea foam in the tank, plus 10 gallons of premium. The engine started pretty easily and after several minutes of uncertainty, the motor settled down and idled well. New oil and filter, changed fuel filter again and it runs and starts pretty good. I can't say for sure it was the sea foam in the fuel that was the magic "pill", but it sure worked.

14. carbking

carbking

I have personally tried both the Sta-Bil and Sea Foam for trying to keep the modern fuel from going bad. I saw no difference with or without either of the additives.

I have not tried it as a motor treatment to clean rings, so no comment on this aspect.

Jon.

15. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I heard about it on here. Use it now in my daily driver, hot rods, trucks, weed whacker, lawn mower, leave blower, hell everything!!!!!!!!!!

16. I swear by the use of Sea-Foam!!! I think it's the worlds best product!!

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I never thought of it for older cars, but the one thing I know it works for is when someone I know used regular oil for 10,000 miles and never changed it on a turbo volkswagen that absolutely REQUIRES synthetic oil due to turbo oil passages. The oil coked up and blocked the feed lines. Protocal says to drop the pan and pull the lines and clean them out with a pipe cleaner. I dumped seafoam in the crankcase and drove it around and pressure came back up. Never had to drop the pan.

19. CustomDave

CustomDave

I used it in my bike when I still had it. If I didn't use it over the winter when it wasn't getting used much it would run real rough. A little bit of this always smoothed it right out. I was told nothing but good stuff about it on various motorcycle forums. I personally like it. That being said I am still a noob when it comes to all this car stuff so my opinion probably doesn't matter that much.

20. daddylama

daddylama

i use it... pretty sure it's the same thing is GM's "Top Cleaner"... works a charm for injectors.
    i'm a fan of the whole "seafoam and water" sucked through a vacuum line to blow out carbon deposits, too...

can't say i've ever poured it in the crankcase, though.

21. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

It works great for gummed up carbs. My most recent experience is last week my '67 Camaro wouldn't even idle at red lights and you couldn't keep it at a constant rpm. It had been sitting for a while. After not being able to adjust the problem out I ran half a can of seafoam through (the other half in my motorcycle) and it runs great now.

22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I started using the Red Line injector cleaner, it worked well, but became difficult to get.

I switched to the Lucas Oil Products, injector cleaner, and am very happy with the Lucas stuff.

I've got a Yamaha R1, sportbike with over 100,000 miles on it. The injectors have never needed cleaning and looking down the ports at the valves...clean shiney metal. Not a deposit to be seen.

I use it in my cars and bikes at every oil change.

Mike

23. Hightone111

Hightone111

I've used it to clean air flow meters with no damage...I trust it

24. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Their product deep creep is also a decent penetrating oil.

Tig

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Just starting using it in the last year....worked real well for my problems....will continue to use it..I like it a lot.
    Cheers...

26. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Just added it to a neighbors OT Hijet mini truck that would almost kill the battery starting it. He added the whole can to a 12 gallon tank and after 5 days it starts like new.

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

This is the only product I ever consider using as a fuel additive. Does exactly what it says it does. Once a year I run it in my tank of all my vehicles just to keep everything running right. The only product I believe in.

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I put it in my 327 (oil and fuel) that has lifter noise. After 100 miles, the noise is not any better...

29. slammed

slammed

How much did you add? How many miles on the motor/cam? Run the valves lately?

30. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee that would carbon up after about a year. I found out about a service bulletin that said to use carbon cleaner. Sea foam worked great. My 2001 Dodge Dakota would develope a high speed miss,A can of Sea Foam on a long trip would cure it everytime.