Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Chemin

Chemin

That's so awesome. Nice to get a bunch of smaller things done than little progress done on big issues. Can't wait to see it in person.

2. F&J

F&J

How stiff does it feel with rear shocks? are they tube type? how many leaves?

3. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Amazing! I can't wait to see it in person! Up here or down there!

4. if i didnt see half this thing in person i'd call a bluff at how fast this happened!!! amazing work man. its always 100 times cooler when you see the random pile of parts in person then see a just about finished car build on here. youre a ruler!! if... i mean WHEN you guys head to waterdown let me know im on the way!! that is if my t coupe is worthy to roll with a couple 34's haha

keith

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, that was the deal, I took the NOS Delco one off and put a crusty old ford one that I had on the shelf on and it's pulling down 13.9v now!

Thanks Kev, won't be long!

They are tube type, not sure what they're from but they are NOS of some sort... I bought them at hershey for $5. I kinda have a thing for old shocks, I buy them whenever I see them... probably have 10 pairs here of varying type. I don't use gas charged shocks of any type on these early cars, they're just way too stiff. I pulled every other leaf out of this A spring to start with, then put two middle-ish ones back in. I haven't had it really up to speed yet, but putting around the neighborhood it sure rides nice!

Thanks!

Absolutely, Keith. Will give you a heads up a day or two in advance. Tell your pal to bring his old roadster too! I'd love to ogle that as well.:cool:

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

what did you do for shock mounts? i've been curious about how to do that myself.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dude 46-48 Ford rear Shock mounts or just buy the really nice ones Pure Hot Rods makes. They're really nice looking.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, i've been looking for a set of stock ones, and have seen the Pure ones. they are nice, but i want a less expensive solution.

what about the top?

9. If you are using a 32-34 rear end, those shock mounts WILL NOT work. Just an FYI.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Who would do something gay like that?

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As for the top I'd like to see what Andy did. I'm making a plate shaped like a fat boomerang that will bolt to the upper rear crossmember. The plate will help with metal fatigue and on that plate I'm gonna weld a round stock that's tapped for a shock stud. I just need to figure out how close I can get to the exhaust without collapsing it under load. I'll take some pics when I get around to making mine since it'll be similar.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'd like to see it too.

and i am using a 46 rear. but it doesnt have those shock mounts that bolt behind the backing plates. it does have one shock mount looking thingy off the passenger side spring hanger. but not one on the driver's side. weirdness. never seen it before.

sorry to hijack your thread, andy.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I believe that's the panhard bar which was a 46-48 item only.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep.

For the lowers, I used the cut off ends of some old radius rods and an old F1 shackle bar that I keep around just for this purpose, if you look early on in this thread you can see how I made them. Just welded the end of the tube to the axle housing. The uppers are even simpler, just a shock stud with a small triangular gusset welded to the front of the rear crossmember. I'll snap some pics of the whole shot later today.

Got my plates this morning! Fuckit... I'm leaving work early to go cruise!!

15. DMV give you any trouble?

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Mark, here's a shot from earlier in the thread where you can kinda make out what's going on there in the shock dept. I like to use old leftover ford parts to make brackets and such, it feels "right", ya know?

[​IMG]

17. Yep, and only 48 and very late 47 had tube shocks. I have a couple sets of those 48 rear shock mounts that bolt in to the backing plates, they are just as sexy as F-1 shock mounts!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Not a lick. But they messed up a bit... the reg says 2dr sdn. Talked to Leroy, he said his coupe is like that too, something about they don't have a "coupe" classification or something?? Sounds like bs... Gonna have to go back and argue with the supervisor some day next week when I have more time...

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you guys rule. thanks.

so, where did the 46 panhard go to in a stock application? some place off the rear crossmember? seems like a neat clean 'nearly stock' solution. just like Andy's brackets made from old stuff.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, there was a small bracket riveted to the frame/crossmember on the opposite side. I have a few of them around here somewhere...I'll put a pic up later. It was a non-adjustable bar but could be modified to fit whatever I guess.

21. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

22. Andy,
    Just watched the video, sounds great. You know I have a whole bag full of push buttons to start that beast! Or are you going to stick with you signature toggle switch?

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Toggles for LIFE!:D

After wiring up brake lights and lowering the float level a tad, I fired it up and drove the car to pick up dinner. Two blocks from home an Erie county sheriff pulled RIGHT out in front of me across four lanes of traffic. T-boning a cop on my first real drive, now that woulda been a story! But he saw me coming and tromped it and scooted away.... anyhow, It's awesome. It runs great, goes down the road straight even with my hairy eyeball alignment job, and rides as good or better than my late model junk. Although, even with baffles in the pipes, it's incredibly loud... might have to add some small mufflers.... also NEEDS an exterior mirror asap. Gonna drive it to work today, wish me luck!:cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  24. davo461

davo461

Hey Andy, can you get someone to video it as it goes down the road? Please.

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wahoo! we want video!

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'll get some video at some point this week, today is locked up, maybe tomorrow...

27. Andy the car turned out awesome.
    I've got a set of turn tables I can bring home from work so you can set the toe on that beast. Let me know if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sounds good Scott, I'm gonna whip up a little toe-bar to do the measuring. Love yer new avatar, cool pic!

29. Thanks man, you want them tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

30. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow, a little less than six months, Impressive to say the least. Great job!