Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Old time Hot Rodder follows me home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, May 9, 2012.

1. cruzr

cruzr

ok.......so he calls me back tonight,now bear in mind i know jack squat about 4 bangers. Anway he starts in "building" his engine from memory on the phone !! LOL So after a polite amount of time i suggest he and I get together sometime next week and i shoot some pics, take a video while i ask him questions,and if he can find any pics we can share those also. So guys the ball is in motion. After hearing him speak so passionately about his hopped banger, i knew he was the real deal.

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Awesome.. Can't wait to see what comes out of this deal.

Thanks, Cruzr!

3. river1

river1

back in aug i was at the Smithsonian museum in the WWII area. an older couple with their son came in. the old guy started talking about all the various equipment/guns and i could tell he knew them from first hand knowledge. unfortunately for me the guy was talking VERY softly and i'm hard of hearing so i missed most of what he said. i would have leaned in to hear better but i didn't want to interrupt a private family conversation.

later jim

4. nice

5. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

That's awesome man, Good Job! gotta get these stories while we still can...these old guys aren't gonna be around forever.

6. I'm tumed in 4 this 1.
    Gotta B great.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

to cool to listen to some living history , hope you get some good stories

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Funny I just read Robert Stacks' (Untouchables) autobiography and he was into 4 banger hot rodding in the '30s

9. cruzr

cruzr

Heres a "behind the scenes" shot of Robert Stack, on the set of the Untouchables. This is from my private collection from when i managed Movieworld Cars of stars

Attached Files:

• ness.jpg
      ness.jpg
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you are from Orange!---Thats where I bought my '32 roadster (all in pieces) for $500 bucks in 1962.
    Its a long shot-But it COULD BE the old timers '32 roadster!--I'm 80 this year, so he's not too far up on me!----HA! When in hi-school in Inglewood,Ca. 1946-1950, lots of guys were running 4 bangers, at the lakes too, of course the flat heads really ruled the roost, but many ohv conversions were very respectable!
    Over the years I have tried to trace the previous owner(s), but no luck!
    When buying my roadster there was no engine, no trans, no rear end, the rear panel had '39 light holes (for hiboy), drivers side radio antenna holes, door handles filled in, as were the cowl vent & side lights.
    In 1996 I used aircraft stripper to go all the way down to bare metal, & found original color was Ford green, then red, then yellow, then a copper color, thats why I wanted to start fresh.

Anyhow, this thread will be a good read!---Anxious to get the results!

Attached Files:

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

thats awesome..cant wait!!! I was in PA for a show 5 or so years back when an elderly gentleman walked up to the roadster I was driving..He stated he use to have a 33 willys coupe...he said "mind you, she was a stocker, then again, it wasnt very old" as he laughed...

The man like many of his generation served his country proudly...makes me proud that they even talk to a 32 year old kid like me

12. salf100

salf100

I think its just incredible that someone of your experience and age is not only on the computer but on the HAMB! That's just amazing, along with this story. Bout a year ago I met an ol' timer in his 90's and peppy as ever. He gave me a hand written business card of his and said he sold old hot rod parts for A and such. Tried to get with him a few times but he always claimed the items weren't organized enough for him to show them off yet. I think I'll go buy his house......

13. There is a cool shot of him in his roadster that has been posted here in the past.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Well thanks for the Cudos"---I'm really just an 18 year old---Trapped in an 80 year old body!!----HA!

15. cruzr

cruzr

ok...went out yesterday and bought a mega large chip for my camera so i can shhot the "interview "on video.

16. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Looking forward to it!

17. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Just think of all the stories lost to history because the older guys weren't encouraged to write or record them. My father, fortunately, wrote down a lot of his early flying barnstorming tales before he passed away but wouldn't talk much about WWII. Said he lost too many buddies and memories too painful to recant. He passed away when I was sixteen. Wish I'd have paid a little more attention back then. Hope you get some videos of this guy.

18. Muttley

Muttley

Really looking forward to seeing some video.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Always love hearing storys from those older then me[70],puts some youth back in the head. Thanks:cool:

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago, our club put on a display at a local nursing home. One of the residents was a man in his 90's that had worked with Raymond Loewy back in the 50's. I thought at the time I should go back and ask him to tell me his stories, but life being life, I didn't get around to it for several months, but by then it was too late. I've kicked myself in the rear many times for the opportunity I passed up.

Get his story ASAP!

21. davo461

davo461

Unfortunately, neither of my brothers-in-law were interested their late fathers experiences, as a UK 'Tommy', in 'The Bulge'and a tank cruise up through Holland, stopping off at Nijmegen(?), on the way to Hamburg.
    I discovered this info too late to act. He was a tanker and died of lung cancer, not surprisingly !
    I wish you luck, Cruzr, this is important work you are about to do.

22. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

Cruzr takes this kind of stuff very seriously. Cruzr lives , eats , and breathes, Hot Rods.

23. cruzr

cruzr

Ok......my apology's to all....my Dad is on hospice and i am now his caretaker full time. I dont have the freedom to finish what i started,but i intend to when i can. Hopefully all interested will understand

24. Understood, and thoughts are with you.

25. cruzr

cruzr

Thanks for understanding, ive had a tough week

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Family comes first before anything else.. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

27. Muttley

Muttley

Do it whenever it's convienent for you, family is more important. Take care of your Dad and remember not to neglect yourself.

28. Davyj

Davyj

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, like it says above, family comes first......................

29. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

After keeping tabs on this thread Im subscribed. My thoughts go out to you for caring for your Pops.

30. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Good luck with your Dad Randy