Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. oh shit. The car looked so straight from the initial pics, but naked.... man it looks like it needs some work! Lots of bad patch work, makes you wonder sometimes..

2. Can't wait to see this thang get chopped!!!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It ain't all that bad, you should see the cars in Florida, but the patchwork is less than stellar.

4. b-bob

b-bob

Geeze, don't you just hate it when guys overlap patches?! Looks like the car spent a lot of time on the coast and salt air.
    We know you will make it good again, and in a couple of weeks of re-doing the patches it be good as new. Then comes the fun part, right?

5. sled

sled

Well...i dont have any previous history of this Merc before i bought it in DF (Mexico City from a friend o mine aprox 6 years ago....so,we all see the real truth under the bondo now..anyway,we fixed much worse stuff than this so nothin really to worry about...yeah,stupid way of overlap patches,i dont get it myself but what you can do??
    Tipycal surprises on what you cannot see ...anyway,im kinda relaxed since Kevan knows his stuff and again i cant think of a better friend to work on it...
    He cant wait cuttin that thing but it will come soon...probably better findin a fender also,cheaper than fix the one here...have fun bro

6. sled

sled

Ah,i cant really complain on what i have at this point since i bought this one quite cheap at that time...glad i did!!!
    Not many around anymore ...and all the ones i know they all need work

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. Elbopper

Elbopper

Orale!!!!! Nice ride you have, next time dale en la madre al pinche truck driver, I go to jalisco state twice a year and see a lots nice solid old cars, if is going to look like your is going to be awsome or bien chingon, be waiting for more pcs. Hasta luego

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

damn rust repair delaying the fun stuff

9. F-head

F-head

Sled,
    Its a lot less rusty than that 50 Merc you were workin on, although we havent seen pix of that machine recently
    B

10. this should be a fun thread to watch...

11. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

It looked pretty clean...Oh well!

12. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

If anyone is fit for the job it's you, Kevan...post more pics :)

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The joys of following behind someone else who did things half assed. It all looks like it should repair pretty simply though. I'm subscribing to this one.

14. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Wow, saw this post today. :eek:

Great to see your car getting done, Sled.
    And with Kevan behind the wheel, you should be safe.

Looking forward to the progress and please give me the account number so
    I can contribute for the hire of the hit man to get that no-brains transport guy... :D

1940 Mercs are addictive... ;)

15. sled

sled

F-head....oh yeah,you bet..this 40 is almost mint compared to the 50 Merc i have at the shop in the backburner...i think the 70% of the whole original metal o the 50 coupe will be replaced with new one...hat off to OZ40 for the metal work on that one...still needs quite a bit of work and i have to push it to finished hopefully soon...

16. sled

sled

Elbopper...thanks for the kind words..im glad i saved this one all these years to wait the right person to work on and when Kev told me he was in ,man...that was one of my best days when you really do somethin special for yourself..aint easy sometimes!

I knew i was extremely peaky to get just the right person thinkin traditional and having a background working on my 40...so,i feel really lucky to have my pal Kev takin care of it...this will be a keeper ..i sold and still sellin tons of stuff everytime but this one...

and yeah,i could'nt believe the first idiot trucker after al these years just smashed the car...a nightmare but we already passed taht stage..nope,no insurance and no money back yet...sucks!!

17. sled

sled

Hi there J.B....well,its no secret that yours and Kev's 40 Merc are my favorite Mercs ever,and i had my long term plan in mind to have one myself since many years ago...life goes fast and i really wanna have not many,but just few traditional cars as keepers...and this is one for sure...

To me is a matter of feeling and having Kev working on it is a kind of drem coming true..i cant still believe it is working on my car...and i sleep very relaxed knowing he's doing his best cause he simply love this stuff...ah,i think he's suffering by now since he cant chop it yet

I still know a couple more 39/40 Merc coupes here around in Mexico ,but havin seen aprox 5 or 6 in all these years here..so very scarce and we know how many there are in Europe...even less i guess....glad you kept yours,that car is a statement....best, sled

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  18. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was thinking of the 50 as well...whats its status Sled?

19. sled

sled

Its on storage currently waitin an injection of fresh cash to keep going with more metalwork ...still far away on the bodywork and seems endless...aprox 70% of the whole original metal will be replaced plus all the kustom work....

already have looooong bills on it but it has to be finished the best way possible at this point....

dropped the 454 bb engine idea of course and more leading on a Rocket Olds...more traditional for sure...

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Sled make sure you let us know if you get some updated pics for us !!

21. sled

sled

Of course i will koolkemp...no doubt about it

22. Smokey2

Smokey2

Following "The Thread", cause I friggin' Loves '40 Mercs !!!!
    My '40 got stolen !, two weeks before we were to start work on IT.
    Recovered the Car, But had about the same Damage you have to contend with (except fer Tha' Top ). Bad things, sometimes , Turn Good........Insurance paid for damage, and hardest part was finding a GOOD GRILLE, especially the center bar. Oh, well that was 30 yrs ago. Anxious to watch Progress on Your's, Good Luck wid the Transporter !

Smoked up, In tha' GREAT Smokey Mts., of 10-E-Cee.......

23. sled

sled

Smokey,glad you like the adventure...yeah,these are rare cars and not many around anymore,especially full trad customs...
    yeah,its turning out smiley from my end,no doubt...and already on the hunt of a good grille,wich aint easy to get ..stay tuned

24. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I got a little sidetracked last week. My buddy Jason bought this beautiful 40 from a guy in Las Vegas, so we did a little road trip to pick it up. Another future victim!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, Im back on Reno's car today so hopefully some good progress will be made by weeks end.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  25. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

Kevan, that Merc Is Pretty clean...man you're cornering the market when it come's to First Generation Merc's...things are happening!

26. No way!!! That's a sweet new victim! Hope you post a build thread for that one too Kevan.

27. sled

sled

Hey Kev,that's a cherry one...but still has a ugly roof so next in line i guess..
    if you get bored i can send couple more on your way so you'll keep the fun factor up...ah,ah,ah

redroaddog likes this.
  28. sled

sled

i notice that in even the great conds 40 Mercs the top bars in the grill are always bent shlightly...mmm,there will be a way to straight em nicely???

29. ausbuick

ausbuick

Sad start to your custom but it will be a sick ride for sure man!
    Cheers Darren

30. sled

sled

Hey Darren..glad you like the Merc project...mind you ,i do have also 49 Buick sedanette like yours sitting and waitin its turn..no idea when but i always love those sedanette GM big bodies Buick and Caddys...i have no plans currently for it but i do love em customized for sure....keep up with yours,will be killer when done