Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nats south 2012 .....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, May 5, 2012.

1. richbud

richbud
    from east tenn

I was at the show all 3 days. The count was something like 2300 give our take a few .Id say the show was up from the last 3 years even with the rain on sat morning. The only thing i noticed was the vendors were way off from years ago when i went as a spectaor . If you older guys do not take your hotrods there its a simple thing thers not gonna be a show in 5 years.Hamb cars our late mods street rods our rat rods as long as your enjoying yourself and the cars i say spend a few bucks and go!!!

Attached Files:

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

for the record, I'm 36 and started driving my own car to the show when I was 16 except for a few years in college when i didn't have a car--and then I crashed with friends. it's not just old guys choosing not to show up.

I'd eat some crow and come back if they'd roll it back to 72--but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

So where are all the pictures? I broke my heart when they went late model with the entries but I don't like every pre 48 either. People can F'up a pretty car if they try.

If you are looking for ugly cars to prove your point, you can find them. Show us the ones that you liked.

4. Been there every year since the Nats South moved to Knoxville. Yes the car count and vendors are down from several years ago, but what meet isn't? Goodguys moved from IRP in Indianapolis because their meet died off in about a two year period. It's still a good meet in a beautiful part of the country and if we don't support these bigger meets we'll all be back to the local 150 car meets for $20 with ten swapers. Street rodding seems like it is going to decline because of our age...but if we don't support these runs because we're afraid of seeing a couple of Vega's or Granada's our $50K cars aren't going to be worth $5K. It's all about seeing friends and enjoying our cars. We will decide the future.

5. All I can say is there were a ton of really nice cars,both pre & post 48 and like I said earlier in this thread I was one of the people that bitched the loudest about the change,,us old farts don't like change but we can change, I didn't embrace computers ether and now I can't go a day without visiting with all you guys!:D

We are all different and entitled to our opinions,much like what Tommy said you can prove your point with a photo,there are people that can screw up any car !

Since they opened it up Brenda & I decided to drive the '54 Ranch Wagon on it's first trip and the car preformed flawless,,I never heard anyone say anything negative about us driving a post 48 but I did feel odd since I have attended every NSRA NATS SOUTH is 1978 except last year in a pre 48.

In all my haste to get everything loaded in the wagon,,I left my camera on the kitchen table.:rolleyes:

We got to see a lot of our Hamb friends and met some new ones,,I'll go back next year Good Lord willing. HRP

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You know I'm working (occasionally:D) on a late model 56.

7. ........Get busy Tommy:D

8. sololobo

sololobo

This is a constant theme here, we need to just look past the stuff that doesn't work for us and enjoy the ones that we dig. At least people are still taking care to modify some stocker and enjoy the hobby. And of course in a veteran show like this it is great to see friends you seldom see. Just my take. ~sololobo~

9. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

This little guy?

[​IMG]

10. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

I'm glad NSRA moved its cut off date, but just wish they had done it differently. They could've moved the cut off to '58 for a couple years, then step up to '64 and later to '72. Anyway, I drove my LATE MODEL there and entered it. '64 Corvette...

[​IMG]

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

we need someone who was there with a camera and a lot of memory to give us a feel of how it really was. We're picture types.............so who's going to step and give us a picture tour of the event?

Frank

12. vert1940

vert1940

i know this will start some crap...but...winner of the deuce doins specialty car area at the nats south in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the deuce was a ....wait for it...62 nova!!!......they refused to let in a 32 chevy....discusss....

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Politics and the economy is killing the American past time.

American Past time === Your hobby. Very broad, but still very true.

14. The numbers were way down. They only claimed 2200 or so and I think they've been padding the numbers since the year change. The swap meet was dead and I mean dead. I usually have to go back at least twice a day but there wasn't anything there to miss this year. I am of the opinion that this show is circling the drain. When it drops is anybody’s guess but the end is coming. If that makes me a Negative Nellie or whatever, oh well.

Thing is, despite it all, we went and had a great time period! Is it as much fun as it was a couple decades ago? No maybe not or maybe it is just in a different way. Twenty years ago I didn't have a boy to take with me, I was the boy and I wouldn't trade the time with him for a ride with Mickey Thompson, Carroll Shelby and Don Garlits. I'm with the guy's who say it's about family and friends as much as the cars. Besides, I like cars, even muscle cars and if I see one I don't like I don't have to look at it. Like somebody above said, I've seen a lot of pre '48's that didn't exactly trip my trigger.

The bottom line is; if I had the power to change it things would be a lot different. I don't, so I'm going to do the best I can with what they offer. I've said it before; we'll go as long as we have fun. When it stops being fun or we're offered a better alternative we'll stop going, it's that simple

15. slammed

slammed

Whaaaaa? Like cry-baby whaaaaaaa? 2002p51

16. I received a E-mail this morning from a Hamber that was there but he doesn't know how to post photos,,,he is sending them to me and I will post them for him. HRP

17. Not trying to steal your thunder HRP;)

Here are some a friend from Atlanta took and sent to me.

Attached Files:

18. No problem,Bucky sent them to me also.

Congratulations to vert1940 (Mark) for nabbing one of the NSRA picks:D HRP

[​IMG]

Another Hambers car,,

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  19. S'more:

Attached Files:

20. And s'more:

Attached Files:

21. Last of 'em:

Thanks to Lance Bucky.

Attached Files:

22. boutlaw

boutlaw

Thanks for the pics. I was there Thursday to see the swap meet stuff early, picked up some junk and returned Friday till 1:30 then left for home with a new F1 pickup bed. I've never been before but it looked fairly crowded to me with the majority of cars being pre 60. There were some OT stuff but I did not consider it over run with late models. To be honest, my time was mostly spent looking for parts etc, but I thought it was a nice group of cars, and I only had to pay $12.00 to get in. Where did it cost $75.00 to participate? I missed that. There was a drop dead gorgeous blonde selling tickets at the gate over by the swap meet side. I told her I would ask my wife if I could take her out to dinner. Good people and good time for me! I had a great time and beat the weekend crowds...

BOutlaw

23. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Judging by the photo's looks like some cool cars.

24. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

This car was in our group with vert1940.[​IMG]

25. wow lookl at all the late models in those pics........in all of the pics posted i think i saw part of ONE 70's vehicle i guess i can see why people wouldnt want to attend that event .............................................sheesh

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I stand corrected.... Will you please let it rest already.

The NSRA Nat's in Knoxville is alive and well.

27. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

damn i really like this ........

Attached Files:

28. brandon

brandon

Thats it.....looks so much better with the hood and lid down....lol just glad to see it out ................and not in my shop.:D

29. That woman was the highlight of my trip. She was beautiful.

JH