Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you think of reproduction bodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LWT, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't do fiberglass, because I don't like working with it; however a new steel body.. in a heartbeat. I hope Carpenter or someone finishes what Drake started.I think accurate reproduction pieces are a godsend.

2. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I chose a reproduction body for a number of reasons. It wasn't my first choice - that would be straight, original, virginal steel. I'd had no first hand experience with any Ford older than 1966, and building an early roadster from scratch seemed a daunting, multi-year process. I decided to take a different tack, similar to reverse engineering a car. I found a stalled project at the right price with an old but extremely nice glass body, and almost all the chassis and drive line parts I would have chosen except the body. I'm a year into sorting this thing out now and have learned more in that period than I could have imagined, including the difficulty of working with a glass body (I did late model unibody collision repair). The reproduction body made the project affordable, and the original '32 Ford chassis w/VIN and V8 roadster title, Merc flathead, '38 trans, late '32 rear, unsplit bones, Bendix brakes, etc. meant that a real Henry body could be substituted at some point if it ever became possible - all factors that went into the decision to go this route. After driving the car a year now (that's the good side), the 30+ year old glass body has kind of endeared itself to me - It's older now than the real bodies were in the early '50s. My first choice would be steel, but life is a series of compromises.

3. I thouight that fella up in your part of the country that is reproducing those '33s was havin' them banged out in Michigan or somewhere up that way. Gawd those things are higher than a cats back

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you mean American Speed, they're here in Plymouth, MI. Where they're actually stamped and welded I don't know for sure. Building one as we speak, and yes, expensive.

There's also Shadow Rods in Saginaw, MI building resized 27 T roadsters in steel. I've seen them raw and finished, and not too hateful to look at. I want to say they're done here but until I know for sure I wouldn't raise my right hand to it. I'll ask and look around...

5. repro steel if you ask me. it took me 2.5 years to find all original "nice" sheetmetal within my price range for my '28 ford rpu, then that had to be fixed. I will not do another round of that crap, from here out it's repro unless the body is mint.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that this horse has been beat to death already.

The important thing is building and driving hotrods as I don't remember seeing anything on the front page of the HAMB on this being a restorers forum requiring all original parts or we can't participate.

I respect the guy who has taken an old crusty body and turned it into a work of art with his own hands but not all of us can do that nor do many of us have the cash to pay a quality shop to do the work which in many cases will quickly exceed the cost of a steel repro body of the same style.

I'd much rather ponder if a guy or gal hit the mark on getting everything right on what was supposed to be a "period correct" rod or custom rather than if they used a repro body be it steel or glass.

7. if i had the $ i would buy a repop steel body no problem.....

8. I like that. Well said! :)

9. If you're thinking that that glass body - even if it is one of which only a "handful" were made - has more monetary value than a "real Henry" one, send me some of whatever you're smoking, 'cuz it sounds like good stuff!

I don't care what make/model it is, a fiberglass replica will never be worth more than an original steel body that's in decent shape. In some cases - such as a Deuce - the OEM could even be a basket case.

10. nutajunka

nutajunka

Alot of talk about A's and 32's, I'm wondering when the 33 willys coupe repo. in steel will come out? Unless I have missed the boat already?

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I care less what someone else does. There are also some real cool repro cars out there with great history. I can understand someone that wants a Willys coupe real bad building a glass one. Real ones aren't so easy to come by. For the life of me though, I can not understand those who pay as much for a repro bodied car as the real thing.

For me, I'd take a Nash over a new glass Willy's. A 32 Chevy over a new 32 Ford. A 56 Pontiac over a new 56 Chevy.

You can't fake history.

12. There's a time and a place for them.

My problem is in Nostalgia racing.

All the "anal retentive idiots" that want everything period correct right down to the ignition system and paint scheme will bounce a car for having an MSD system or a front bumper but will allow a reproduction 'glass body with a tube chassis.

13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Most people on the board who know me remember my '32 3w Coopay........to those of you who don't know me....a question.........*Steel or Fiberglass??*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What say?

CB

14. adam401

adam401

Yeah fordoors and 2 doors are pretty much....................Oh sorry I always get all these dumb shit threads mixed up.

Too many threads on here trying to pawn off lame ass shit like its traditional or as good as the original.

Wanna see a real shit storm
    your auto tranny is lame, I don't care when they came out
    your repro body is not as cool as an original
    your radial tires are lame
    your s-10 chassis project is lame
    your bagged thirties car is not traditional and doesn't belong here
    and finally yes, even though your "building your car for you and no one else blah blah", you probably have terrible taste if this comment is made about your build.

There are so many awesome builds and tech on this site, enough of this bullshit.

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

real parts for real car.

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'm still intending to reproduce mine (23-T in steel- of course!) so I gota say I LOVE 'em!! :):)

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I say the numbers are faked and I just don't get why someone would do that. (you posted the car)

18. fleet-master

fleet-master

cuzn brucie..i'd say glass lookin at the beltline but I could be wrong.....maybe I'll ask Stewart Quertier if he knows.?:D:D

19. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I'm surprised at how many guys on here don't have a problem with a reproduction body since you read so much bashing of them on here.
    I have no problem with reproduction body cars.
    Try pricing a hunk of junk 32-34 ford anything.

I would love a brooksville roadster pickup someday!
    I might even pick up a reproduction T someday (built) just to drive to work on nice days since you can buy a nicely built one cheaper than you can build and paint one.

20. upspirate

upspirate

I've owned 27 and 29 Ford roadsters in glass.

A 36 Chev p/u, 33Dodge p/u.34 Dodge sedan,33 Plymouth sedan and 56 Chev in steel.

I'm now buying an original 32 Ford truck.

The old steel ones had previous rust popping through,bondo,the glass ones didn't look the same as the original ones....I loved them all!!!

I just feel if you are having fun with an old appearing car it doesn't matter....at least you didn't buy the cookie cutter new Mustang/Camaro/whatever!!!

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

BAAAHAHAHAHHA. funny

22. Goatdave

Goatdave

I saw one of those new all steel 57 Chevy convertibles a few months back - looked awesome and I was thinking how cool it would be to build as daily driver. Lot better than a six figure real one.

For me I always wanted to build a car - but I have no real skills or know how other than turning a wrench. So I bought a POS glass 32 roadster body and will build a decent looking traditional sbc tripowered fun car for under $20k. And it will look ok but no where near a show car. I know my limitations. I'll drive the snot out of it like I do my other cars and not worry about it in the least. Thin about it - 99% of the people out there drive Hondas and Toyotas and other non-descript cars. Even a repo is better than that alternative. Hot rods in any form are badass by comparison.

23. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I like both steel and fiberglass. Of course I would prefer a steel body but having had both, I can say I have not had less of a smile on my face with one over the other. Have 3 glass bodies in my shop right now. One for me and two for customers.

24. CruZer

CruZer

I have to say the people on the HAMB have REALLY changed over the years.
    I've been on here since the beginning,actually BEFORE the beginning when Ryan was just starting the Jalopy Journal and 99% of the members then would have bashed anyone who mentioned the word fiberglas.
    I'm glad for the change here , personally. My first rod was a 1940 Ford coupe that Ryan featured on the JJ, my second was a Gibbons Viper packaged 34 Ford coupe and my latest is a Gibbons bodies 34 Ford roadster.
    I've loved them all. Metal, fiberglas, who cares ?????? For me,it's what's underneath that's important.

25. I'll just about bet that I can find a buildable '33 coupe for less than the 30K+ price tag of a repop steel body. That price is less fenders and chassis and grill shell if I recall.

26. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

You might be right. I haven't priced 33's because I know original AND a good reproduction cost more than I Can spend for now.
    I know reproduction 32 bodies can be had a lot cheaper than that.

Also, a buildable original means different things to different people with different skill sets.

Myself, I hope to find a good buildable A truck when my 54 is driving where I'm happy.

I may never be able to afford a real 32, but with the number of A's that are out there I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good project I can afford.

Nothing like the smell of an old car!

27. U-235

U-235

To me, the hobby is about finding an old car and breathing new life into it....a reproduction body (glass or steel) is not a old car, its a new car, and whether or not you want to belive, it is a kit car. I'm not opposed to using reproduction parts to bring the car back to life, but a whole body is just too much, you've lost its character and soul.

28. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

Yep...that is what I was looking for when I came to this thread!!!

I wish I could give an first hand opinion on the subject but strangely enough no one was making any fiberglass or steel repros of 54 Plymouth 4 Doors when I bought my car so I had to go with the real deal...

29. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

you think way too much.......

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

30. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ditto :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.