Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fly In-Drive Home, or 3800 miles in a Hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, May 7, 2012.

1. Great story and trip!
    Thanks for posting it up.
    Awesome first memories of your new car!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome road trip. Would love to replicate this one day.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man, that's a lot of driving. Anything past 600 a day is hard on my old butt these days. Evidently you didn't stop at the fantastic Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola. Be sure to catch it the next time by there. Gary

4. Great story. Glad it all worked out in the end. Wish I had an Uncle as generous as yours.

5. Roger53

Roger53

Did the chase car make it?

6. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Sounds like a great trip. Sorry you didn't get to take your time doing it. But you safely made it.
    But I am curious about the car, you were alt least a little familar with it and had 6 months to learn more. It wasn't quite like buying a car and then driving it home.
    And I assume your uncle or another family member followed you? Were the tires old?
    Thanks for sharing your trip.
    hotrod37

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

you trip remids me of my big adventure when I was 18 leaving home for the first time and driving from detroit to denver

way to go! I'm seeing hamber's dislike trailer queens as much as o/t cars

8. A great story.Thanx for posting it..

9. Awesome trip and very jealous. Hope to get my ride to the point where I can take it cross country one day like this.

So what happened with the interview?

10. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

No zip code hotrodder here,We drive our 34 Ford roadster on Streetrodder road tours, and other road tours. Love those long trips. LARS, Louisville next trips.

11. 343w

343w

Great story. Looks like things are coming-up roses for you, what about the job?

12. That's a hell of a story. Good on ya!

Personally, I think the mishaps will make it more memorable, than if things had gone off without a hitch. Least, that's the way I see it. The adventure is in the journey.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great Car
    Great Story
    And Great Uncle too!!
    Thanks for sharing a really great trip.
    Cheers......

14. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Man thats one cool story I hope to take a trip with my dad and son like this.

15. Won't know about the job for a couple of weeks yet.

The tires weren't old enough to be a concern, but we still replaced both fronts after the blowout.

The chase vehicle made it just fine. My uncle had air conditioning, cruise control, and tunes all the way across the country. But he still has to drive back home yet :)

And the post-script to this whole trip...the Bonneville trip has been put off until next year.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad. But at least you had one epic hot rod trip this year. That's more than many of use will be able to say.

17. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Thanks for the good read it sort of makes you want to get in your rod and go some place but I don't think that this OLD body could take 16 hour 850 miles drives in one day any more Thanks again

18. n847

n847

And the post-script to this whole trip...the Bonneville trip has been put off until next year.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you'll get over it! Just don't tear the car down between now and then!

19. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

good read ---sounds like you had a good time----

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great road trip story and what a great uncle you have. It seems like almost every road trip in a hot rod involves some sort of road side repair to a part that had worked great for xxxx miles before the road trip.

21. dw123

dw123

That's quite a tale! Thanks very much for sharing!

22. jchav62

jchav62

What a cool story! Pisses me off about the Sears shop manager. Don't any real "car guys" work in those shops?? I had the same problem at a Discount Tire in the past.

Very inspiring story... I drove my '62 from Henderson, NV to Albuquerque and back once. It was an awesome feeling... I'm gonna have to plan another road trip soon..

Congrats and good luck on the job...

23. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you made it safe and sound. Great read. Thanks for sharing.

24. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier!

My dad's shop is very close to Slidell and we would have had no problem coming to pick you up and getting a tire put on it.

Glad to see you made it!

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

Great story! It makes me more than a little jealous. Thanks for sharing.

26. 343w

343w

The problem you ran into at Sears is why companys like that are mostly a thing of the past, they are barely hanging on in most parts of the country. "The customer comes first", in any successful company.

27. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

free hot rod and a road trip or bonneville.........i would choose the former over the later. sounds like you had a great time.

28. Neat story and great way to see the country from the seat of an old hot rod. Glad to hear you made it with relatively small problems.

I have driven my COE all over the western half of the US, between 5 trips to Bonneville, moving from CA to NM, and numerous shorter trips. With some mechanic skills and tool set, you can deal with most road type issues. Bigger problems, have your cell phone and AAA or similar. Get towed to the nearby town and just deal with whatever the problem is.

29. 76cam

76cam

Awsome story glad to know the car can make long trips.Next year you can come on back to Texas for the Lonestar Roundup!!!!!!!