Register now to get rid of these ads!

I dunno, i had a few drinks tonight, and bad advice(downunder guys....)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, May 6, 2012.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that's like Mossman Park, I lived in Scarborough for $975 a week in a fully furnished 3/2 townhouse a block from the beach behind the Indie hotel. The further from the water you go the cheaper it is.

If you want to make money you go into mining in QLD and there is some LNG work out in WA. There is also a big dam project in SA but I think it is on hold right now. If you go to a mine site you can live in the camp where they have their own bar and a cafeteria and you live in a 20' container. I'm sure there is a website posting jobs for mining, I don't hit them because I work in the project management side and have been for 10 years. The companies want people who will work and are willing in some cases to sponsor your visa. That part is hearsay on my part, just stuff I have heard. Something to warn you about, there parochial assholes who will say you are stealing jobs, fact is this country suffers from a boom in mining and an economic slide in every other industry. They cannot find enough experienced hands to do mining work and project work, but there are all these people who are in regular service industries who are getting hit. So, if you can pipe fit, weld, NDE, or any construction skills really, you have a golden ticket. I can't say for the smash repairs and custom business what that is like.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. badnews 31

badnews 31

ok you come here and i will go there :D:D:D:D

3. Shaggy,

It's not that the grass is greener on the other side, it's just the shit is piled in different spots...

Some like it wet, some like it dry.
    Preference, it's all a matter of what you can deal with.

Go now while you are still young and unattached.
    "I remember when..." is much better than "I wish I had..."

The NW HAMBER's will miss you if you go.

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

Never set foot in Australia, but if you go broke just come to Alaska in the summer.

You can make more than enough money to get back on your feet.

That goes for all you HAMBers.

5. clarthepio

clarthepio

Never set foot in Australia?????

Shaggy, if you like the cold then sure Alaska sounds great! But if you like warm weather, good beaches, and good looking chicks then definitely set foot in australia.

I live in the North West of Australia where as previously stated, there us a huge boom in mining and resources with heaps of work for fitters and turners. On VERY good coin.

6. your morgage is cheaper then mine and you make more money then i do. and i have wife and furry children...i love'em to death. i figure vacations are good enough. if you go have fun.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I joined the NAVY when I was 30. Yea..... 30. Why? I was making a bullshit wage (1999), wasn't happy and wanted to see just what the hell some other place besides Houston, TX looked like.

I saw most of the world. Met cool people and got a profound view of others and myself. You don't have to join the Navy, but if you EVER get the chance to explore beyond these shores...... do it.

And do it while you're young, so you can really take it all in.

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Just be careful when you travel down under, Make sure you have the stamina for the environment

In Aussie dehydration is an issue [ probably the heat ] , and for some unknown reason Beer is the only remedy so you need to have an indestructable liver

In New Zealand there is a medical problem that seems to only afflict men, and there is no known cure. It's called "Whiplash Eyeballs" , for some reason you mainly get it travelling around the beach resorts "checking out the talent"

You have been warned :D

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really? I thought it was animal husbandry, you know, being the husband of an animal, like sheep.

10. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

If you have the itch, go for it.
    When I was around your age I got a wild hair and moved to Montana. Not the move you are looking at, but the principal applies.
    I rented my house out for less than my house payment and stayed in Montana till I was so broke that I could just afford to get to Idaho and look for work.

Stayed In Idaho for about 8 years, then came home and back to where my family was when my daughter was born.

Do it now, you won't be able to later.

11. clarthepio

clarthepio

HAHAHAA.....where's the damn LIKE button!

12. Blake84

Blake84

Do it now while you don't have kids and family......I'm your age I booked a ticket when I was 20 I lived in Florida with my mom and went into my room and said I'm bored here. Booked a ticket and flew to California. I still live in Los Angeles 7 years later. Best thing that ever happened to me. Great job. Engaged to number 24 suitcase girl on NBC deal or no deal have an amazing job and none of this would have happened if I didn't just do it! I'm very jealous of the 450 mortgage. I'm paying over $2000 a month. Cost of living is the only downfall to my story

13. Beau

Beau

Rent your house out and GO!

I took a couple years off a life. I was BROKE. But I actually had the best times of my life! I learned how to live cheap, have fun and discover new talents to help me get by.

Do it.

14. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Shaggy been thinking again about this and have my own ideas. Like me, your a single guy with no kids. I'm 44 by the way. Most other guys your/our ages have gone the conventional route and got married, kids house etc. When i was in my late 20's/early 30's i became the odd one out. All my buddies sold their cars or they wouldn't be allowed out, especially with me:eek:. Shows and weekends away became strictly off limits. So i was kind of all dressed up and no where to go. I became bored and the offer to go to Oz came out of no where and i took it. I'd never thought about Oz, let alone living there for good. I Went out for a 3 week visit, worked some on a trial (for me, not them) and 4 months later was living there.
    The first 3-6 months it was like one long holiday and then the reality of things hit me. As much as it was a cool place to live, nice beaches, cool folks about, nice weather and an easy way of life, i wasn't any better off in some ways. I was working over 60 hours, on 24/7 callout every 3rd week and seeing very little of my surroundings. I grew to keep out the sun so living on the beach kind of lost its glow (haha no pun intended) and i had no more friends than i did back in the UK. So there i was, in a beautiful place but still the same person in many ways. My standard of life got better but my life didn't.
    My dear mum got real sick and i ended up coming back to care for her and my Dad who's 83. I have now left the automotive industry and now moving into teaching. I've just completed nearly 3 1/2 years study and now ready to apply for jobs. Whilst my folks are still kicking i'll be here to look after them and will push my teaching career. Maybe one day i will venture back fulltime to Oz and become a teacher, i don't know.
    I suppose all i'm saying is that you're not in a bad situation right now and seems like your just bored with life. All i'm saying in a round about way is that it may not actually be the fact you want to travel thats bugging you. Looking for a way to spice your life up isn't anything new for a single guy your age, trust me on that!!
    My last ramble on this is yes it's good to have a long term plan and some cash back up. I've found planning much more than a year ahead for short term goals is about it though. Alot can happen in a year. Go to Oz or somewhere else because you want to and for the right reasons.
    If it's any consulation i haven't got a clue where lives taking me at the moment. I know i'll be in a new career but after that there are so many changes coming it's not worth making too many plans. Just going with the flow, saving my money, keeping life simple and playing with my new airbrush.

Sorry about the long post and good luck.

:cool: