Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hotrob's fiasco of a "Model A Coupe" build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrob, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Just got my travel orders. Should be leaving Kabul on the 16th of this month. Between travel and DEMOB, I should be back in Texas by the 24th. Can't wait to see all my pals!!!

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fantastic news. Fair winds. Gary

3. Thanking you for your service and wishing you a safe return.

Sent from a hand crank phone

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Hardluck welcome home party in the works!

5. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Can't wait Jay.

6. I'm planning a garage crawl when you return home buddy, bring all those misfit Hard Luck boys with you and we'll do it up right.
    Be safe my friend ;)

7. Glad to hear you made it out the other end mate. Looking forward to your continued posts here - after you spend some time with your girl first.

Like others have said, even though your a Yank ;-), thanks for your service.

8. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Been a while since I have posted on the Coupe. Partly because I have been away, and partly because I have been on other stuff. But.......I am back on it with a vengance.

I ordered a tank from www.tanksinc.com. I got the 16gal. universal tank. It ate up most of my trunk. I could have went smaller and made a little room in the trunk, but I think I will be happier this way.

So I used some tabs under the floor in the trunk to mount to. Then located the cooresponding holes in the floor. Bent the hold down straps and cinched her down. Looks pretty good.

I am going to run aluminum fuel line with some cheesey anodized AN fittings. I hope they don't look to out of place. I guess I can paint them if they do.

Attached Files:

9. draggler

draggler

Looks good!
    Thank you for your service!

10. Fenders

Fenders

I don't get this wheelbase stuff -- I haven't read all the way through but why has no one mentioned that the wheelbase of a Model A Ford is 103-1/2" -- might explain his rear axle location problem.

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool build man. i wanna start on a coupe sooo bad lol

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for your service. Glad that you are back.I am building a 31 roadster on one of Erics frames. I started in aug of 10, and went thru the same problems as you. I could not get my r/e out of bind ,so off came the buggy spring and on went adj shocks with a triangulated 4 link. Shortened the brackets and it is snug up close on the frame. Have done all of the re builds you went thru. Its amazing all of the same going on and not knowing of the others problems. I went with a shortened grill and shell. A friend did some great work on it.
    I have driven mine ,no floor and basic wiring. Had a death wobble that after many inputs here on the HAMB,and was solved. Simple, steering box needed adj. Mine is apart to paint the frame and hopefully this winter find some funds to do body work. Keep up the good work.

13. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Fenders,
    the fenderwell fit issue is long resolved, but the reason the wheel base is longer is because we give a couple more inches in the engine bay to fit longer modern engines.
    The stretch in in front of the firewall, so while it does change the wheel base, it did not contribute to the issues I was having.

14. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I am not all that happy with the ladder bars thus far, as there is no room for anything else underthere. Exhaust is going to be a real pain. But I understand they work well for a good hard launch. We will see. If I have any issues I will first go to coil overs. Then move the ladder bars to parallel, and add a watts link.

15. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Thanks to all for the well wishes and welcome backs. I have been on plumbing fuel and brakes. Not that sexy of a topic, but it has really turned out well. I will post on that when I tie up the loose ends. I will say I really like working with the aluminum fuel line, I just hope it seals and does not give me problems at the fittings.

16. boutlaw

boutlaw

Welcome back Rob, and again, Thanks for your Service!! My problem with the Riley frame was also extensive. I did not have your rear location problems, but my chassis was so warped, I had to cut out the trans crossmember, straighten the frame on a frame machine and then reweld in the crossmember. Had to do that before I could even start my project. Been driving mine since Jan this year, got about 850 miles so far. I don't like the ladder bars either, but my headers have inserts, so no exhaust need run under the car. Hell, I couldn't do it if I wanted to, no room anyway. I WAS right behind you in my build before you left to serve. I guess I passed you on the build while you were overseas. Still subscribed, following with interest.
    Good Luck.

BOutlaw

17. manhugos my bitch

manhugos my bitch
    from nor cal

18. I just found this thread and read through the whole thing.
    Great build, car and thread!
    Glad you made it back home safe.
    I'll watch you button this one up.

19. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

imagejpeg_2_2[1].jpg

Slow progress, but progress all the same.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  20. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Really like this thread. I think we are both working in parallel hot rod universes. It's nice that you show us when you go down the wrong road and how you correct those errors. It's good to see another average Joe trying his best to build a dream. Keep up the great work.

And as a nod to Veteran's Day, a big "thank you" to you and your fellow servicemen for all you guys do for us and our country. It's because of your sacrifice that we live free and can enjoy this hobby. Thank you, Sir.

21. 63dan63

63dan63