Register now to get rid of these ads!

I dunno, i had a few drinks tonight, and bad advice(downunder guys....)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, May 6, 2012.

1. greaser

greaser

Take a month off and try it out. Just don't cut you're ties here till you know its what you want.

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

First, I want to compliment you for realizing the only way your ship comes in is if you are piloting it! "Barry" and his magic show of freebies is NOT going to do it!. Replies number 27 and 31 are exceptional and right on target. Be sure you heed the advice earlier re immigration. It isn't an open border on the south of AZ. I am sure there are a lot of Hambers who can give you good input. There are a couple of straight forward no BS ones earlier. I am 70 yrs old, a retired CPA, have talked a lot of people out of making morning after decisions. Clearly evaluate your skills, network (aussie hambers) and make an informed decision. Based upon what you have shared I believe you will be successful and will choose the right path for you!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

One last thing to add, my friend said he basicly only had to pay a $200 a year deal to work in aus, really a no problem kinda thing and he said the labor market is better than it is here.....

More stuff i'm rolling around..

4. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I'd do what Beaner said, save some money and take some holiday time out first. Wallet in your pocket, few changes of clothes and head off on a mission for a few weeks around the US. Kind of a mini-adventure.

With the jobs they way they are i wouldn't make any rash decisions. Maybe a small trip, time out and some soul searching will steer you in the right direction. We're only here once and you have to make the most of life.

Just don't expect folks to share your enthusiasm (they can't go) and don't be put off or led on by others. My earlier post came across like i was putting you off. I wasn't, these are just things you need to know,as others have mentioned. Speak to the consulate for what ever country you're interested in and see what they have to say. That way the info your getting is up to date and not what somebody did 20 years ago.

Now put that bottle down and start planning a road trip:D

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Sounds like the constant Sultan rain, moss & mold is getting to your head. Take a trip somewhere nice & warm with lots of sun, you just need some Vitamin D a brain enema!

6. Just gimme half a chance and I'll swap places with ya!!

7. Posts 20, 22 and 25 say it all. My profession has taken me to 97 citys in 33 countrys. I have had the luxury of being able to travel on a company dime with all expenses paid and even that is no picnic. The expenses and commitment to remain in another country, legally, speak the native language, find work to feed and support yourself are tremendous.
    I say at your age do what you have to do to become sucessful right her in the land of oppourtunity. Save/invest for money and once somewhat comfortable then go see the world. My perception based on what you have posted so far is you are not interested in getting ahead right now, just go see the world. Trying to do this right now is going to present nothing but struggles, but if your short range goal is just getting by then I say go for it.
    Keep your house, rent it out, keep all your tools and equipment in storage. Your knowledge is the one thing no one can take away from you.

8. Travel.

I've thought I'd visit New Zealand.

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

You better stay where you are...

10. AG F/C

AG F/C

Shaggy,
    What you expect out of life? Where do you want to end up in 10 years? you should set some goels and do what you have to to reach them.

If you own a house (sounds like you do), have a job that can make you $58K/year, you've got hotrods in your blood and maybe in your driveway, you've got it better then a lot of folks... You're in a pretty good place for 27 and have some time to reach reasonoble goals. Bouncing around won't get you anywhere solid fast. Even school at your age is a waste. Spend 4 years in college and will you make any more money then if you buckle down and hone your skills I don't think so. I've been in your exact same place 17 years ago and I think I chose the right path.

11. Im with Brigrat - SULTAN WA??? Take a weekend and drive a few miles East or South man - There is this large bright orb in the sky its warm and stuff.....

12. Oh, go on and do it! I was all prepared to do the same in the mid 70s....sold off my little engine installation buisness in the Portland area, packed my shit and headed for california..hit the Australian consulate in San Fransisco and got my paperwork and forms to fill out for visa etc etc...
    Got drunk that night and met this little cutie back where I was staying [Rio Linda] and that was the end of my Aussie adventure..
    I truly regret not going.
    Remember, if you don't like it you can always come home but if you stay here, you may not always be able to go...go now before you become entrenched here.

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

[​IMG]

Weve all had our "dude" nights...
    Ive convinced myself that everything happens for a reason and not to regret anything along the way, and so far Im okay with it! Ive passed up several chances to do other things but I really am enjoying my simple life...
    BUT, for you, if you feel like this is a calling and its eating your brain for a day or two, then make it happen!
    Make a 6 month, 1 year, 1.5 year so on... plan and stick to it!
    Leave everything at home on good terms and know that you can always come back if its not all you dreamed of!~GOOD LUCK!

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Do it! The "safe" route is okay for some and thats fine, but I sense a restless spirit here and it sounds like you have the mindset and skillset for an eyeopening adventure that you'll always remember. Just be prepared financially if possible for unforseen stuff.
    I've been to places around the world that are so different from the U.S. that it was like being inside a National Geographic magazine. Met some great people and had some great experiences and I wouldn't trade that for anything. (for instance, imagine eating dinner in a quaint restaurant with your M-16 armed bodyguard sitting at the next table)
    Hell when your boat gets to Hawaii, stop in and I'll come with ya to Australia, sounds like great fun!...Oh wait, the wife says I can't go. :D BTW I did the majority of my world traveling before I got married, so if you have that freedom enjoy it while you can.
    Eli

15. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Patients, grashoopper.
    You still young.
    Grow untill you appreciate what you have.
    Then, set out to see the world.
    Remember, the story is only interesting when listening.
    Jumping into fire may find it too hot.
    Not what you expect.

16. Sounds like you are at a point in your life that you could do some adventurous stuff before getting tied down with a family and a lot of worldly goods to pay for. If it is truly a dream and not just a passing fancy I say do it.

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

When i was there i bought precooked spaghetti in a can and put it on bread. The working visa is hard to get from what i remember, i just worked under the table. Ive been to a lot of places but havent been to the far east, russia, or africa. Australia is one of my favorite places esspecially the northern beachs of sydney and byron bay. Do it before you get to old to have fun.

18. TERPU

TERPU

Go! Leave $3,000.00 with your Mom or somebody who won't burn you for a plane ticket home should you need it. Beaner has the best take on it. Pretty soon you'll be encumbered with a wife, kids, and real responsibility. Go enjoy.

Tim

19. George G

George G

Go.

$16. per hour is a good wage with your skills?

20. slammed

slammed

Quit drinking alcohol. It is an illusion for 'good-time'. When it wears off, you and the world are still the same as before. -Escape- The down under crowd have their guns taken away, no?

21. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

At he age of 27 I was working in a rad job designing toys. I decided that before I got anymore tied down I wanted to give rock and roll one last shot. Everyone said I was mad. I quit, spent five years penny less , never asked for a dime from anyone, played my ass off in a moderately successful band, lived hand to mouth but never forgot my hard work ethic. Best thing I ever did. HANDS DOWN. There is no way I'd be where I am today if I hadn't side stepped the rat race, put myself in a situation where I really understood the value of money and got that "what if?" out of my system.

If you never forget your work ethic you'll always be OK. And make sure you develop some new skills out of the process. Treat it like an education and you'll never regret it. Just leave yourself a safety net in the bank.

F

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Study posts 22 and 25 real close as they tell it like it is as far as attempting to work there goes.

The US is maybe the only country in the world that someone can immigrate to with no pre-arranged employment and without skills that the locals have a high demand for. Other countries want highly skilled and specialized people to fill demands that their own people can't fill.

I'd suggest stashing away enough cash to be able to travel in OZ or NZ for several months along with buying a drivable car there when you get there and going and exploring for a few months. You could even put enough money in a separate account to automatically pay the mortgage each month while you were gone. You could still rent the house out while you were gone if you wanted to.

Time it so you are there during their rod run season and make the rounds.

A good friend of mine that I built a pickup for 30 years ago took a few months and went down and either rented or bought a small motorhome and explored Oz for several months. He and his wife still tell stories about being down there many years later.

23. gbgh

gbgh

Some countries have a temporary "Education" visa which allows you to work legit, but you can always show up, beat on doors, and with your skills you'll find somebody to take advantage of you

24. rc57

rc57

Don't make any decisions on booze! Dry up a day or 2 and rehash your thoughts. If it still feels right then do it. I agree with the safety net idea.

25. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Oh, to be young again. Go ahead and get it out of your system but dont burn any bridges.

26. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hi
    All good advice.

I wish I had gone to Hawaii and surfed for a coupe of years before I had my family and hot rod businesses.
    But no real regrets.

Go explore while you are young and have no responsibilities at all.
    If you have a family in the future you will / should make decisions as a grown up.

Go explore and be a kid until you have responsibilities. Truthfully, you can live in a tent on the side of the road until you have kids. It just doesn't matter with anything until you have kids.

There will be plenty of time also to buckle down 9 to 5.
    If you wait until you are old / retired to explore, you will never surf Mavericks.

And who promised you tomorrow anyway? You might not be here next year. Or, when you are retired you health might be bad.

27. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

That has to be one of the most powerful statements i've heard in a long time. So very true.

28. It`s traditional to get itchy feet when you are young.

29. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

X 2. Very True!!!

30. jfrolka

jfrolka

Beware of southern california if you start traveling, you may go broke and get stuck here.