Register now to get rid of these ads!

possible to build a "traditional" fenderless sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEFTY_, Mar 18, 2012.

1. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

let me check the rule book.....

2. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

You know what you are right I do look like a poser that's it I'm selling this car and saving for a 32 roadster with a small block Chevy I'm done thanks for bringing me to my senses lol

3. Asked and Answered. If you want to run them go right ahead, but most guys who understand motors and horsepower will feel the way I (and many others on here) do about them. But if you like em - go for it.

4. F&J

F&J

A real good book to see the way it was in the Northeast, is call Cool Cars Square Rollbars. Much of what is in there are cars that were raced at airport strips, and some were , and some were not, street cars. I am sure the cars were similar all across the country.

There are some low ones like that.

I tend to agree that wires would not be on an overhead V8, but there must have been at least a few.

When you look at the old magazines or the little books...it is a very slanted view of what was really going on with the common builds or lower funded builds.

The highboy is something I never saw in my youth in my area...never, not even one.

Most people strive to build mostly fenderless highboys, but I would think if there were records, the channeled cars far outnumbered highboys by a huge percentage. Most states were strictly fender-enforced too.

5. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

1948 san diego california, Uncle George the day he got it running....Is his car really that far away from cars in the past or just the ones you saw? I realize it's not a sedan but it's already in my pics on the HAMB so any easy example, I can easily grab pics of coupes, trucks and sedans built by George or his son Larry in the 50's and 60's that were easily this low. Maybe you meant in New Zealand....
    [​IMG]

6. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

You guys kick ass

7. 55chevr

55chevr

The Orange Crate A/A [​IMG]

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, it would seem there were definitely plenty of hot rods just like Uncle George's. I'm betting Uncle George was a great guy (you can see it in his big ol' smile). I bet that car hauled ass too, which is what most hot rod types wanted from a car.

I'd also bet the typical hot rodder either didn't understand or care one whit about aesthetics and I bet that was the case here.

9. Compare where the top of the rear tyre is on this car with the OPs car.
    No comparison what so ever.:eek:

10. rambler62

rambler62

i like it.....build it the way you want to!

11. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm working on a sedan and trying to keep it traditional. just trying to make it what I like and not worrying too much about the traditional police.

[​IMG]

12. When I think traditional fender less sedan I think: minimal or no channeling. Have a look at this 32, just ignore the front cycle fenders!

Attached Files:

13. I'm gonna have to agree, the wires and tall tires don't suit the ride height. Wires just don't say "Hot Rod" to me period for some reason.

14. Wouldn't strict fender-enforcement make it tough to build a channeled car?

15. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

yea im going with 20 inch wires from "wheel kid" and 700-20's so bigger wires and taller tires

16. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

I like it....they dont all have to look the same in my opinion

17. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

This sedan has the look!!

The channeled roadster from Dago would be the exception to the rule as most street cars ( non race cars) were not channeled because channeling was not an easy job for the average hotrodder with limited tools building a car in thier parents garage.

Now on the east coast it was a completely different style all channel and no chop.

The new super low cars came about as mini truckers decided to build hot rods ( trying to lay frame gayness) with no regard for tradition and the lower the better attitude.

Proper proportions and stance are crucial on any hot rod.

Lefty, you are doing great and your sedan looks good and has some great potential with a little tweaking.

Pick a time period and stick to it and you will ultimately be much happier with nice traditional hot rod.

I think for the most part everyone is trying to give you good constructive criticism.

Tex

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most channeled cars that one saw in the 50's ran cycle fenders on the front and bobbed fenders on the rear. Unless the particular state the car was registered in didn't have a fender law. One thing guys ran into in the 50's and 60's when making road trips was you could often get nailed by another state for your car not being legal in that state even though it would pass in your state.

Some states had a 1500lb rule that allowed guys with cars that were under 1500 lbs to run fenderless. Over 1500 lbs had to have some sort of fenders.

As far as the wire wheels on the hammered model A that the thread is about, with the overhead valve engine it needs steelies or some sort of mags. I would think that the key is flathead vs overhead. Early flathead cars look good with wires but overheads seem to call for steelie or some sort of aftermarket wheel.

20. jimstro16

jimstro16

Run the wires! I just spent a couple years trying to find a cheap set for the front of my 32 chevy and scored two of them the other day for $20. I am going the same direction with mine and it will have the correct look in the end. Anything visible on my car will have the look but the channel and chop may not be 100% correct for the 50s.

Attached Files:

21. So, there ya go. Traditional is a pretty loose term. Your car is a 21st century traditional hot rod.

22. One Finger John

One Finger John

I seem to remember a 30 sedan built by Jesse James on Monster Garage that had the same look, wire wheels, sbc, 32 shell. Am I wrong?

23. Just because certain parts are rare, expensive, or ya saw them on T.V. doesn't make them always right. But it's not like you are asking advice, or are you?

24. U-235

U-235

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    You know what you are right I do look like a poser that's it I'm selling this car and saving for a 32 roadster with a small block Chevy I'm done thanks for bringing me to my senses lol

You know Lefty, thats pretty funny. But remember, you asked for advice....oh and please don't lay that grille back, thats just goofy. (I don't know where that got started, but its certainly not tradional)

25. Swifster

Swifster

I thought the exact same thing.

26. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

It was a joke man I know everyone on here can dish it out

27. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

Hey man if you want to take the time to post on my thread I appreciate it whether to tell me it looks like shit or it is the shit I appreciate your time end of story and after I listen to your thoughts I will post mine and we will high five ... Or shake hands whatever the traditional method of acknowledging one another on a man level is

Edit: I just did research the "high five" was around in the late 70's the "low five" was documented in the 30's so that would be the celebratory gesture of the hamb

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  28. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

My friend ones

Attached Files:

29. My Son Dave's,

Attached Files:

30. jimstro16

jimstro16

x2

Grille needs to be straight up no lean