Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 dodge wayfarer oil change question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crdizzle6288, May 5, 2012.

1. crdizzle6288

crdizzle6288
    from illinois

hey guys. so im a newb still and im finising up my tune up. where is my oil filter located? i see that it has a air filter oil bath. do i just drain that and clean it out and refill? i do not see an actual oil filter anywhere on the motor. im sorry of this is a dumb? but i have a dodge coronet service manua for reference but it shows that the coronet has an actual oil filter and oil bath but mine does not. any help would be great. thanks.

2. James Curl

James Curl

On the drivers side of the engine above the starter is an aftermarket oil filter that uses a cartridge, or drop in filter. If you check the oil galley cast in the block which runs from front to back where the oil pressure line comes off you may see all of the outlets plugged. The cars either came with a dealer installed oil filter as I described above or by a replaceable sealed canister with two oil lines installed , one went into the oil galley just in front of the dip stick and the other went to a boss where the pressure relief valve is located. Most of those have been discarded and replaced with an aftermarket canister oil filter with the removable element because the sealed canister is no longer available. Someone might have just plugged the outlet and inlet ports because they did not know what else to do. You can pick used ones up at swap meets as Chevrolet used this design on the 235 I/6 engines until the new engine came out in the 60s.

3. carnut341

carnut341

Where in Illinois do you live? Me and my brother live in Illinois and he has a 50 Dodge and maybe we could help you.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

'hey guys. so im a newb still and im finising up my tune up. where is my oil filter located?'

On your car the oil filter was an option. If you have one it will be a canister type bolted to the left side of the engine, right between the distributor and the starter.

' i see that it has a air filter oil bath. do i just drain that and clean it out and refill?'

Check the oil by removing the top of the filter. Oil level should be marked. Top up with straight 50 motor oil. 30 in below freezing weather. Use your finger to see how much dirt is in the bottom. If it is more than half full of dirt take it off, pour out the dirt and oil and wipe clean with rags or cotton waste. Refill with 50 oil. Rinse the upper part (filter) in cleaning solvent, Varsol or kerosene. Let drip dry. DO NOT blow air in it, you will ruin the filter medium. Pour a little 50 weight into the filter medium and put it back on. Servicing the filter should only be necessary once a year or less if you drive on good paved roads. In real dusty desert wind storm conditions it could need to be serviced every day.

' i do not see an actual oil filter anywhere on the motor. im sorry of this is a dumb? but i have a dodge coronet service manua for reference but it shows that the coronet has an actual oil filter and oil bath but mine does not. any help would be great. thanks.'

Your car may not have ever had the filter.

If you have no filter you need to change the oil often, every 1000 to 2000 miles. Use 10W30. If oil pressure is too low try 15W40. You do not need any special oil or non detergent oil.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

5. crdizzle6288

crdizzle6288
    from illinois

im in the gurnee area. where u from?

6. crdizzle6288

crdizzle6288
    from illinois

thanks for the help. so if i do not have the oil filter option, how do i change the engine oil? just drain it like normal and refill? does the oil bath have anything to do with engine oil or just to keep the dirt and dust from getting into the carb? if the oil oil pressure is low from the 10w30, is that because the weight of the oil is too low?

7. The oil bath is the old "air cleaner," meant to keep the carb and fuel mixture clean. It's very effective, but messy. It, too, should be changed at every oil change.

8. 73RR

73RR

How low? 10-30 is not the cause of low pressure, bearing clearances and worn oil pumps are.

9. if you need an oil filter, pm me, I have a bunch of them. It's yours for the cost of shipping.

If you want a new element I have a stack of 'em, yours for what I paid. (but you can get 'em at your local parts store)

I change my oil with 10w-30 off the shelf (every 1000 miles) for a while to help get the old goo and gunk out, then switch to a high zinc/low detergent like Joe Gibbs after that.

keep in mind the filter is bypass style, so only about 15% gets filtered, and then it dumps back in the pan with the dirty stuff. Frequent changes are a must.

"low" oil pressure is the subject of some debate. 10 psi per 1000 rpm at operating temp is the typical recommendation.