Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Does anyone actually use their hot rod truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, May 4, 2012.

1. I see lots of people hot Rodding trucks and most of em get cut and hacked on til the point they're unusable. I love trucks, but history proves that they were intended to be used for workhorses on the farm or for hauling stuff for your business. Does anybody actually use their truck as it should be? They're cool but trucks just weren't meant to be dedicated show vehicles, I'm for makin em look good but not to the point it's useless. Anyone with me? It just bothers me, growing up my whole family always had a truck, it wasn't because it was pretty, but because we had to have something to haul wood, fencing, concrete, feed, drywall, etc. If you went to town to celebrate something, you drove the Pontiac or Buick or whatever. Ok, my rant is over. Anyone with stories or pics or their own opinions is welcome to it. I'd be happy to hear/see em.

2. I'm thinking about building a '49 Chevy truck for my shop truck. Not that I have a shop.just my garage, but I would definately use it for it's original intended purpose. To haul shit. But like everybody else I have too many projects going at once. But I would. Does that help?

3. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

I'm planning for my truck to have a usable bed. I have a scooter project in the wings and plan to haul it in the truck to some of the larger shows. That's if I can get my lazy ass in gear and ever finish the truck!

4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

My '49 Chevy 1/2 ton is a daily driver only vehicle these last 15 years. I do everything with it, have a dual Edelbrock intake that I will switch over to a bored out 261 1954 model engine this year.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I use my old truck to haul stuff, but mostly to haul my ass around town. So what?

6. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Sure, it's great for hauling weeds to the dump, hauling spare engines around, and bringing home other goodies! No show queen for sure...

Attached Files:

7. B.SUTTON

B.SUTTON
    from Peoria, IL

Just picked up some steel fence posts, a roll of wire fencing, and a wooden picnic table kit from Menards the other day with my '41 Ford.

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Nope....only thing mine is gonna haul is ass!

It's a radical custom truck so I dont feel too bad...with all the custom metal work and voodoo that went into that bed the only thing I'll be able to get into the bed is a couple of backpacks and a cooler....

eh thats why I have a normal truck...

9. Goodlife

Goodlife

I use my 53 to haul all kinds of things like the hood, trunk lid, fenders etc from the 40 I am building. About everything is being sand blasted so the truck is a work horse besides being cool! As I have gotten older I have learned that driving them is way more fun than sitting at a car show to get a $10.00 trophy when you paid $25.00 to register for the show.

10. Yes I do.I've haul construction debris,branches,top soil,furniture.It does seem to surprise people that I do this.I have rubber mats to cover the box floor,however.

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I hauled hubcaps this past weekend from a swap meet! LOL I have hauled a vintage popcorn machine and a few other little things as well. I am setting it up to tow a vintage travel trailer this year but I leave all the dirty and heavy jobs to my 2004 Z71 Chevy, that is what I bought it for!

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I beat mine like a rented mule. She will sit for 10 months or a year while I drive the Model A, but when I need to haul a hot rod carcass across 4 or 5 states, she is always ready to go.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Chavezk21, kmc777 and HotRodRyan like this.
  13. Master of None

Master of None

Yes I do daily (1934 Ford), and so does my father(1937 Chevy). He currently has his doodle bug scooter, and a vintage drop axle that we just picked up at Torque fest. Put 139 miles on them today.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've had three pickups: a '67 C-10 short step, a '34 Ford, and a '99 Lightning. While none of them could be considered a work truck, they have all carried engines, furniture, many kinds of auto parts. I can't imagine making a truck a showhorse.

15. 46stude

46stude

Germ told me once that "trucks aren't hot rods". And who can argue with Germ?

16. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have a late model daily driver for hauling stuff...

17. Tony

Tony

Yes.
    Thats one of the thing's i built it for. And i've used it a hell of a lot more than these pointless pics :)

Tony

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  18. squirrel

squirrel

Mine have always been useable, starting when I swapped the big block into my 59 chevy pickup when I was 17. 33 years later I'm still doing the same kind of crap...and also using my trucks as trucks.

Attached Files:

19. jazz1

jazz1

I just installed some tie downs on the box floor in my 41 for tying stuff down,,infact I put em to work before I even get them on the road

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
    ChefMike and Oldb like this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am building my 66 F250 to do what it was built to do,its got fresh paint but nothing fancy and will be getting a spray in bedliner. The 460 should tow anything I can put behind it.

21. Yes!

Sent from my Droid using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

22. And that's good, you're supposed to.

Let's me know I'm not the only crazy one.

Nice. I like the idea of the 261, very rare.

Love '53 F-100s. errrr were they still F-1s? AMEN to this!

23. I started following your truck thread. Definitely a fan.

385s are good truck motors. Sounds to be a cool build.

24. Larjk9

Larjk9

All the time. Gunner the lab enjoys it too.

25. TERPU

TERPU

Before I sold Pete there was only one thing I used it for. That was everything! Greatest thing in the world is going to the dump in a great old truck!

Tim

26. squirrel

squirrel

I prefer the scrap metal yard. They pay me....

27. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Here I am picking up a matress set.
    2011-10-04 20.31.42_Oxnard_California_US.jpg

28. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup hauled off the trash today, her normal Saturday morning chore. Has hauled all manner of car parts. Like the guy at the place where we haul our trash and recyclables put it, "Me and that ol' truck got something in common, both of us past 70 years old and still having to work for a living."

29. '52 was the last F-1, '53 was the first F100.

30. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

I use my '48 as a shelf.