Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crazy ideas you think might be cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, May 3, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Some (wacky?) ideas I've thought might be worth a try, but never seen on a built car. Perhaps there is a good reason? Or might they be worth a try?

For example:
    <O:p</O:p
    - an egg-crate style grille insert in a Deuce shell<O:p</O:p

- a 32 3W with doors hinged in the front somehow? (I don't care for suicide doors at all)

- a 33-34 Ford with a 35 grille (love them things!) ICW a Hallock (sp?) / Duvall style windshield. Should be very swoopy, eh?

Please add some of your ideas to the list... <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<ST1:pGary</ST1:p</st1:City>

2. Gary,
    A duece 5 window with the doors hinged on the back. I like suicide doors, easier to get in and out of.

Something you don't ever see is a roadster that isn't lowered. Along the lines of a gas Street Roadster or a Gas Roadster class car. The Gas Street Roadster version like they ran in the '60s would be a hoot you could drive it to the track change tires and go racin'. I doubt that anyone would think that was very stylish though. The Gas Roadster would be the same basic car without fenders. You could remove the lights and just put them on if the sun went down on ya.

Something that you saw in the '60s that you never see anymore is a duece grill shell with the bar going horizontal.

How about side nerf bars like an old dirt tracker.

Gawd I could come up with off the wall stuff all day that was actually done at one time or another that is not considered cool, but is cool in the proper context.

This could be a fun thread.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. Lets give this one a bounce for the Friday crowd.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

What ever happened to the 60 model El Camino that was cut down the center (narrowed) to be made into a fenderless hot rod custom thing?
    That thing looked cool...but I dont remember who was building it, or if it got finished.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

NOT putting wide white bias plys on a 49 - 52 Chevy. that would just be wacky. I don't think I've ever seen it done that way, and I'm going to try it.:rolleyes:

6. I think it got finished, it was real plowboyesc. But I don't recall who was building it.

You'll probably put a V-8 in it besides. What a concept. :D

7. drpepperdude

drpepperdude
    from newark DE

Not the most hamb friendly idea, but I want to put a big block toronado front wheel drive in the back of an el camino and pull sick wheel stands for cheap.:D

8. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

the "Sonic Needle"
    [​IMG]

9. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I don't know about cool, but how about caddy hubcaps painted up like roulette wheels. Then attach a small rod to the spindle with a little ball that floats. You could see where it stops every time you park. I had the idea when I was much younger. I had a couple others, but I will spare you.

10. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

If I had the means (skill, money, etc.) I would experiment with turning my '61 Imperial into a wagon using the roof from a New Yorker wagon. Hardtop wagons are awesome.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

a built in ice maker for making Crown and Cokes at the show...

12. I'm working on the craziest idea I've had. My 64 Falcon sedan delivery. Chopped ,rear motored. It's actually looking like it's going to work, but I'm starting to think I may be as crazy as people say I am!:eek:

13. AntiBling

AntiBling

I fell in love with a 28-29 sedan pickup. Old depression era sedan that was cut down to a pickup cab, the roof panel was made out of a back of a sedan as well.

I love history like that, I grew up on a farm so I love the old home grown ingenuity on these old cars and trucks. My crazy idea is I have a 28-29 2 door sedan. I've got pretty much everything to build a rolling chassis. I want to build the chassis, throw my nailhead in, get this pickup cab, and throw it on there till I got the body of my sedan ready to throw on there.

No spider webs, crosses, skulls, or any shit like that, just this original cab someone hacked up to get more fuel rations. It will get called a rat rod (well it be more accurate then a lot of the cars in our club that get called rat rods up here I guess), a lot of people will hate it, I cringe at the thought of rat rodders trying to be buddy buddy with me and praising me for it. It's not about shock value to me, and, I love the history and think it would be neat to give that cab one more chance at the road before I'd more than likely either part it out (doors and cowl was nice) or take the time and cut it down into a rpu body.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Rockabilly chicks without a bunch of tattoos.

15. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

i almost made that my signature lol

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ok guys, some of you are getting a little silly. Just because you want to paint your belly button pink doesn't mean we need to hear about it. Or that it might be a good idea. Break's over, back to it. Gary

17. I've always wanted to take the front 2/3rds of a station wagon, and mate it to the bed of an El Camino or Ranchero, and make a four door El Camino.

It may have been done before, but I've never seen one.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bumperino. Gary

19. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I have to agree with this crazy idea.

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I couldn't agree more.

21. I know where there is an o/t swedish wagon like this. They call it the "Volvino". Not really my thing but it is well done and they use it like crazy.
    I also once saw an unfunushed "Chevett-amino" on ebay. It looked funny, even for a chevette. As I recall it didn't have many bids.
    A

22. wsdad

wsdad

I've seen that done to a Karmin Giha (spelling?)

23. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

I was driving home thinking about grafting '59 -'60 Chrysler Imperial fins to a set of fenders for my utiline bed on my truck.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I guess I'm a little different. I have lots of crazy ideas, like an open car with a sealed cockpit filled with water for 100 degree cruising. I've wanted a 2 engine car, one tame, the other high H.P., switchable on the fly. I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to build a slingshot dragster for the street.

25. 117harv

117harv

Can someone post a pic of the car that had a banjo rear in front with rear steering, i think thats how it was done. The car was made recently by a guy who does all kinds of that stuff. There was a thread here on it showing it at an indoor car show but i can't seem to find it....anyone know.

26. A 51 Plymouth 3W that's a cross between a 50s radical custom and a modern ground effect race car. Too hard to explain, but the DNA works together.

I'm already building it....

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One last try...

28. klazurfer

klazurfer

Not too crazy , but here goes :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012

29. El Camino crew cab. It would take a lot of thought to pull it off but I think done right it could be sweet.

I doubt HAMB friendly, but I have been wanting to take my Dad's ol MG altered body (TD) and turn it into a flatehead powered trike.

I have toyed with building a mid engined model T Cab. If you used a T grill shell and full hood I think it could be pretty slick, granted a little odd ball. It would be the bomb launching wheels at an unsanctioned event.

I would like to build an El Camino with Pontiac front sheet metal. I have seen it done so it is not an original idea but I would like to do it.

Last edited: May 12, 2012