Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay...car trailer recommendations please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I also have a Road clipper 18 ft. I got mine in Dallas,Texas a few years ago for about the same money, it's a sweet pulling trailer.

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have a 14' trailer that I bought used about 25 years ago for $700. I has worked for everything that I've needed it to haul. It is light, no springs and built close to the ground; which means it is easy to load. I bounces around a little when not loaded, but loaded the only lean is from the car on the trailer.

The best $700 I ever spent. Before buying this, I borrowed, rented and used many other trailers. I liked the smaller trailers best.

Whatever you decide to buy, try to make sure it will do what you want it to do.

3. phat rat

phat rat

LNZ NUT the reason for so many tie down D rings is I haul more than just cars on my trailer. cabs, roadster bodies, engines, frames, rear ends, you name it and it's probably been on my trailer. If you only haul cars/trucks 4 tie downs would suffice

patrick66, for years I used car radials on my 16 ft trailer never had a problem and it went as far east as Vermont and west to Mt and Wy twice. I put at least 20,000 mi on it that way and in all those miles I had one flat. On my 24 ft trailer I use 245/75X16 10 ply truck radial, no problem here either.

4. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I don't recall questioning the amount of tie downs, I say the more the better, I hate it when I can't tie anywhere to a trailer, I also haul a lot of bodies and various car parts.

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Buy used! No reason to buy a new one unless you are financing. People are eager to sell trailers nowadays. I agree...18' minimum. Also pay a lot of attention to angle of loading.... How low is your car...how steep is the ramp? I like mine, open in the center, easier to get under car for tied own etc. having a eve box in the front for straps, tie downs etc is great. Good luck, also keep in mind security to keep doucebags from stealing your new trailer, there is a thread on here about that too!

6. phat rat

phat rat

I mistook your system for tying down cars comment to mean that you only hauled cars and thought a large number of tie downs was unnecessary. Can you post a picture of the system you and your dad designed? Also I see from your #85 post that you already stated that you can't have too many tiedowns. Sorry

7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

No worries, text is a cruel mistress! :D

I had gotten busy and forgot to post that photo of my deck... sorry, I just got home a little while ago and went back out and snapped these.

(sorry their blurry, I can take clear ones in daylight)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What these tracks are is the load bar tracks from the walls of semi-trailers, we modified our tire baskets to slip into them and after a few thousand cars and about 900,000KM trouble free since 1998, if you can get a car on easily it can be strapped and you can be on the road so fast, it's easy to adjust and very strong, I have lifted the trailer with my crane by a strap in one of these to test them.

(my poor trailer looks so bad right now, I can't wait to restore it this summer!)

Attached Files:

8. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I use "Econo Trailers" out of PA had 2 or 3 of them already great little trailers an you get a great bang for your buck........ I just suggest no dove tail unless your cars super low.

http://www.econotrailer.com/

9. phat rat

phat rat

Two or three trailers in your short life doesn't speak well of their longevity, IMHO. I've had mine for 20 years

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

no matter what you buy I will bet ya after a month you wish it was 1 foot longer

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is what you need...for sale in the classifieds. [​IMG]

12. And for all those that want to flaunt their trailer queen there is this .......

[​IMG]

13. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

nobody's running a traditional vintage trailer? Threadfail! :D

14. phat rat

phat rat

What is your idea of a vintage trailer? Single axle, no brakes or springs?

derbydad276. A trailer is like a garage, as soon as you have it it's too small. I stretched my 16' to 24' and it's still not big enough

15. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I bought a 20' H&H Speedloader tiltbed brand new in November 2008 for $2400. I've put about 25,000 miles on it with no major issues. I wouldn't own anything with ramps after having a tilt deck trailer. LED's are a great way to go and the H&H has the taillights mounted inside the framework where they can't get busted out. The only thing I wish I would have done was go with axles heavier than the 3500lb axles.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We call those "E-Tracks" here in the states. I have those on the walls of my 24' enclosed trailer. Useful for securing loads that are not cars. But I have the traditional D-rings on the deck. Not sure what the load rating is on those. If they are properly rated, I agree they would give you a lot more attachment options.

17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself, I've had mine for 14 years and abused the hell out of it the whole time with little need for anything more then routine maintenance, so there has to be more to your story to use yours up that fast.

So true!

They are great for light vehicles for sure, the ones I have are thicker then the ones I have seen in the stores (mine are also used one from old trailers) I won't use these for tractors or anything like that, but up to a 1 ton truck they've been great to me!

What I need and I recommend for a lot of people is a full rub rail so there is infinite places to strap/chain to, I currently have pockets every 2 feet and a rail under the rear of the deck.

18. we run a diamond c 16' with 2' dove tail. works well. i wouldnt mind having something bigger in the future. rihgt now it works. wood deck, 2 axels, brakes.

19. I did not read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat.
    I think the best bang for your buck and no work is to pic up a used u-haul car trailer. They pass them on when the miliage says to. Usually from $1500 up. Very affordable. .Just go on their sales website. and browes

20. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

A good option for a cheap small trailer, they generally just need minor maintenance.