Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Dave Bell Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Porter Man, Jan 29, 2010.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I think this is a better place for this than on the other Bell thread.

Sad to hear about Dave...a fellow artist and a staple of the rodding communnity for many, many years...

I stole Dave Bell's style of artwork many years ago and used it a lot...and still do...
    I used the pen name of "Swell" when I signed each of the illustrations I did in his style, here's a sample:

[​IMG]

I've chatted with Dave many times over the years and he even used my pen name of "Swell" in one of his Street Rodder cartoons...

R-

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I would not say "stole" Roger...you are heavily "influenced" by Mister Bell's work.
    AND THAT..... is the greatest compliment you can offer.

Bell is SWELL

3. .........Well Said, Jeff.:)

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Very sad to hear this news. I've had a Pomona Swap T-shirt done by a friend, Midnight Impression/Gearhead Planet, with Mr. Bell's artwork framed in my shop for years....

He's one of my favorite automotive artists.

5. Parts plus ...Dave Lindgrens shop...wierd guy in back doing upholstery..had the sewing machine , that was Tom Young, he had a 34 4 door that was kinda rough

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this one of Dave's??---I got it back in Memphis Nats 1975

Attached Files:

7. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

Very sad news. Our car club (MSMA) had him do artwork for our Back to the 60's chows many many times. Always great to work with. May he RIP...

8. Just got word.............Rest in peace Dave.

9. Bob Bond

Bob Bond

"Dave is the only artist that I have collected as many of his drawings(from magazines or whatever) I could get, dating back to the early days of Truckin' magazine in the 70s. He inspired me more than any other artist. Our industry has truly lost a tallented and gifted person. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I'm sure all Street Rodder and Custom Rodder magazine readers will miss his fantastic cartoons, I know I will. RIP Dave and thanks for all the time you put into your art, it made a difference in my life. Bob Bond - Editor/Publisher AutoArt Magazine."[​IMG]

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a huge fan and Dave was the guy that got me into cartoon'n Hot Rods and Kustoms.
    When I was younger he was the only reason that I started to buy Street Rodder Magazine.
    His way of laying out lettering still today just floors me. Drawing cars is one thing but
    being able to layout the kool lettering is a God given skill. He had some serious skills.

The family and friends will be in my prayers, RIP. Mick

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Daves passing is a big loss, as i mentioned before, he really influenced me, his cartioon was always one of the best pages in the mag. I will miss all those fine black lines. Rest in peace Dave.

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i would hope someone does a book of all his work from all the mags and sell it. I for one would definately buy one.

maybe part of the money from each book could go to his family. Just a thought:).

13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I had exactly the same thought, even emailed Street Rodder, as he's been in there for so long, but they didn't seem so keen. Someone must do something, surely!.

14. I didn't see them when we were there in 75. We did get the long distance award that year with our 40 and in Tulsa..

15. realkustom51

realkustom51

Aging thread but I wanted to include this little newspaper snippit from the 70's.

[​IMG]

16. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

His stuff is timeless hot rod cool.

17. My cousin is a pilot with Southwest Airlines ... and sent me this pic of the "Ship Logbook" for the aircraft he was flying:

Southwest Airlines Ship Logbook with Bell artwork on cover.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a Time machine...! I remember this one when I was "little"...

19. There's a mob down here called 'Hooligan' (clothing/ apparel) who appear to have swiped a Bell piece for use on a sweatshirt. I could be wrong, and it forms only part of the design, so maybe there's no legals. Maybe they have permission. Just seeing, just saying.