Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethanol - How are you dealing with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnybronco, May 2, 2012.

1. johnnybronco

johnnybronco

I'm getting pretty good and rebuilding my carb every season or so, but it is getting old. Anyone found a pour-in additive that they like or found a carb kit that will hold up better to the ethanol mixed fuel. I run an Autolite 2100. At least it is still cool yet and I don't have to deal with the boiling of fuel, but one thing at time.

2. pilot31

pilot31

Another option (though a tad more expensive) is to go to the local small airport and get some 100 low lead. No ethanol in it, great octane, and is fine to run if you can afford it. Some of us use it in snowmobiles, atv's, chainsaw etc.

3. rld14

rld14

I use Startron. It's good stuff.

4. Luck would have it, We have a station that sells Midgrade w/5% eth. and Hi-test w/0% eth. Less than 3.85 gal. Keeps all of my vehicles run great (even the lawnmower)and better gas milage. Even when it was over $4 a gallon I still bought it. Look around your town
    gatta be somebody there that still sells the good stuff.
    Good Luck

5. I don't have a problem with it other than when I got out in the sticks and can only find low or mid grade. Then it is an octain problem and not an alcohol problem.

For the autolite carb there may be a Holley branded kit that will work.

6. Ole don

Ole don

In some parts of the country, we have no choices. We use ethanol because the state was paid off to believe it was better. Use WD 40 on the new carb gaskets, then you can reuse them again and just clean and blow out the orfices. In the fall, us a bottle of Stabile to treat the gas and run the motor long enough to get it up in the carb.

7. BigChief

BigChief

Sta-Bil for ethanol based fuels or their marine stuff. I think its blue instead of the normal red and seems to help. You can run it all the time without issues.

8. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

used it for the past 15 years in everything never had an issue

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

I a void it !!

10. That would be awesome........

11. You need to keep the tank as full as you can, that eliminates space for the alchohol to use to accumulate moisture and when storing you need an additive such as Stabil or the like.....
    If the carb is run dry that is the start of trouble, it dries to a white-concrete hard residue in the orfices and plugs up every hole.....
    the farmers around here got an early in at bying shares in the local Alchohol plant and are cleaning up on both that end and the refinining aspect as well....... a point of interest is that in the production process there is a side product that is produced that is also captured for resale.....
    C02,yep the stuff in our welding gasses,and a pnuematic propellant gas, in industry and even in the soda dispenser at the local McDonalds

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This is some good shit. If you've been using gas for a while, the ethanol breaks down deposits that line your tank. They then go through your fuel system. This product removes the deposits. I use it religiously. Every other fill up. NAPA sells it. It cost a bit... $25, but it WILL work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. I think that hotrodcarbs.com has some parts that are ethanol friendly.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Haven't had any problems with it, we've had it here for over 20 years.

15. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

the Lucas Ethanol stuff isn't bad either.

16. carbking

carbking

For the carburetors on my own cars and trucks, I have recalibrated all of the carburetors and use leather accelerator pumps in the carburetors (none of my personal carburetors have diaphragm type pumps).

I have tried several different gasoline additives, and have personally found no benefit in using any of them. Note: I said personally, not badmouthing the additives; if you like them, use them.

For storage (over the winter) I like to fill the fuel tank. In the spring, I fill the carburetor(s) with fresh fuel through the carburetor bowl vents, remove the air filter, and start the engine using ether. The fresh fuel in the carburetor will last long enough to get the engine hot, and it will then burn the stale fuel.

Using the above techniques, I have no issues (except reduced fuel economy) with my carbureted vehicles.

The fuel injected vehicles with no modifications ALL experience anywhere from 15~20 percent decrease in fuel economy but they run great. Fuel injection professionals tell me this is due to the false signal generated by the O2 sensor causing the computer to create an overrich mixture.

My real issues occur with small aircooled engines ie, chain saws, weed eaters, lawn and garden tractors, etc. I am terrible with small engine carbs, so have not modified any of them. All makes exhibit loss of power with E10 vs gasoline. And it seems to be heat related. Many of them miss or even stall at ambient temperatures over 90 degrees F. This may be a good thing at my age "honey, the weed eater won't run, its too hot, I think I'll come sit in the shade"! I use the same storage and starting techiques with the small engines with out stale gas issues. The issues come later in the summer when the heat hits.

Edit: and I change fuel filters more often than I used to change them.

My experience, others will differ.

Jon.

17. Road Runner

Road Runner

Rebuilding carbs every season may not be fuel quality related.
    In any case, just separate the alcohol and swallow it.
    Both your engine and brain will be buzzing and you keep supporting the corn producing states at the same time - win, win !

18. vanst603

vanst603
    from New York

Buy you gas at a Native American Indian Reservation.....no Ethanol added or state taxes. Also Lucus makes an additive.

19. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

What's this "ethanol" of which you speak?

:D

Doc.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We have several stations that sell gasoline without ethanol but I know some States require it.

21. chubbie

chubbie

how do i deal with it ?? its only a problem when i can't buy it

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I worked on a carb this week that had sat and dried out over the winter months. When I took it apart the bowls had a bunch of crud or slurry type stuff in them. It even stuck the check balls. Looks like alky reacted with the carb body.

23. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

I have had little trouble with the stuff, as long as you plan ahead.

For 4 stroke engines that sit, I mix 100:1 fuel / 2 stroke oil. The oil leaves a film on the exposed interior tank surfaces. The fuel that evaporates from the carb leaves an oily residue behind, and the oil film seems to inhibit corrosion.

When it is time to re-start, just prime & go. The oil dissolves in the fresh gas easily. It may run like crap for 30 seconds, or need a lot of choke - but it will "clear it's throat" quickly & settle down.

I have a couple of vehicles that sit too much. One has an Edelbrock 1407 carb, and the other is a Predator. Both will fire right up after sitting long enough to dry out the bowls.

I have a chainsaw that gets used once a year if that. I have not had the carb apart in a decade. It runs snotty on full choke for about 15 seconds after months of storage - all that was left in the tank after sitting was some oil last month & it started on the 3rd pull. Pump gas with 10% ethanol & oil - no fancy additives.

CarbKing:
    Grab your needle nosed pliers and yank the damn plastic limiters off of the Low & High speed needles on your 2 strokes. Right now I bet you can choke that weedeater & pick up power. Bad for 2 strokes to run lean. Open up the high speed a little. If it has a flat spot, open the low speed some too. You should be a little fat unloaded - richen it up until it drops 100 rpm @WOT unloaded.

B.

24. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I just always put the highest grade possible (93 here) in everything and run an ethanol stabilizer like the lucas stuff. I've been trying not to drive my car much until I get a chance to install some 02 sensors so I can hook up an ohm meter and check my fuel mixture though.

That and richen the hell out of the idle mixture on everything else like my tractor and hope that helps. Seems to be working for now.

25. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Check into Startron, real good stuff. It is an enzyme treatment. Works great to fight the effects of ethanol. The best job it does though is to bring back old gas that has been sitting for a while. Super stuff for old nasty gas. I am a mechanic by trade and don't usually like many fixes in a can but I am sold on this stuff. Walmart and Napa both carry it. Lawn mower shops love it too for the old gas in tanks.
    http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

26. johnnybronco

johnnybronco

Thanks guys. A lot of good info here. I'd get ethanol free gas if I could, but that's just not an option where I am at. Glad to hear some folks using some additives even though they don't like them in general. That's where I stand too. I rather have a good kit on it rather than throwing something in the mix, but if it works and will not harm my carb, I'll give it shot. I think I'll try out this Startron stuff. I've had hit or miss experience with Lucas stuff.
    The only real problem I am facing is the boiling in the dead of summer heat and some tough starting. I don't want to back off my timing anymore, so looks like I see a can of Startron in my future. Keep your thoughts and experience coming. Love this forum.

27. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Seafoam been using it for years great stuff

28. It is commonly known as white lightning or corn squeezins. :D

I was just looking, that autolite cars is just a Holley carb with a ford name on it. Buy one kit one time from Holley for it, make sure it is a Holley branded kit. Everything in the kit will be alcohol resistant.

29. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I like the sound of that!