Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's the first time I've seen it. Came across this article about the 52 Dayton race when Jim Rigsby was killed. At bottom of the page there's a odd, little, short video that shows a little bit of the Swiekert crash and then Rigsby's "flight". YIKES!, It didn't start out as that bad of crash but it sure got ugly fast. Poor guy just had waaaay too much time to think about what he must have known was going to be inevitable. :( Like driving off a cliff I suppose. http://www.autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=1760

2. racer67x

racer67x

wow..I had read about that but never saw footage,RIP

3. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

I know this cover has been shown before, but it really shows the horror of the crash.

Attached Files:

4. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

loved reading all the Dayton stuff Rootie, ty

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Josh,Here's a few shots for your racecar on a trailer collection. It's from Mario andretti's '69 Indy victory parade in Nazareth,Plus one of how they hauled the Indy cars before the Big rigs..........Rich

Attached Files:

6. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great pics Lee.

I am looking for pics of longitudinal torsion bars attached to the axle or bat wings on a stock ford style axle. I have a few pics of setups on early champ cars but the wheel always blocks the actual connection.

Thanks,
    Neil

7. eborcim

eborcim
    from Missouri

These are great...those drivers were fearless.

8. Dick L

Dick L

A few more models to check out.

Attached Files:

9. easter

easter

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's how Wally M. did it, though not a stock ford axle, it would be the same/same.

Attached Files:

• ptb.jpg
      ptb.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

12. gearguy

gearguy

Common method for complying with "cage to helmet" distance rule for tall drivers. Lack of down tubes places its build date as early 1980s. Old style hood is interesting.

13. racer5c

racer5c

looks like a midget hood sitting on a sprint car

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I'm thinking that the driver was on the tall side and added the additional tubing for his size and protection........Rich

15. easter

easter

Thanks guys. It looks like it was a really nice shaping and welding job - ugly - but well fabricated. It's very odd for anything "open wheel" to be for sale on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

16. gninc

gninc

Check out this trailer of mine, could this be the same trailer? It was first registered in California in 1947 and at some point belonged to Leonard Fass. The front was painted over with white rattle can paint, when removed with thinner and a rag it exposed "Len Fass Sprinter" and in between, you can read, "KING-O-LAWN". It's a very cool old trailer and tows great.
    Glenn

Attached Files:

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Glenn, Now your gonna have to find this one to put on your trailer.....Rich

Attached Files:

18. Thanks, Rich. You've posted pics of the #98 sprinter before. That is the same trailer. It should also be pointed out that the man standing directly behind the roll-bar (red shirt) on the #98 dirt car is our old friend, Adel Mitchell. Adel was everyone's friend in racing and grew up in Fresno (CA) and moved to Stockton (CA) later during the sixties. He pitted for Don Thomas in CRA sprint cars, including Don's championship winning season of 1966. Other drivers he was associated with were Chuck Gurney and Gary Ponzini, also from northern California. And, Adel's nephew was Marvin Mitchell, sprint car driver from Fresno. Adel passed away in September, 2008 in Bouse, AZ.

Attached Files:

19. racer5c

racer5c

Josh pay attention to these pictures, the lettering was done by one of the best ever

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Forwarding a message from WRA President Bob Mastroleo:

"We are sorry to report the Kenny Van Blargen passed away on April 29, 2012. He had taken a turn for the worse and was hospitalized several days prior. Kenny was born in Santa Maria, California in 1931. He was eighty-one at the time of passing. We will all miss him. There will be a memorial for him at a later date and information will be posted on the web site and in the WRA newsletter. Please keep him and family in you prayers and thoughts."

21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Need a little education here.

I know there have been several great painter/letterers, but my list gets alittle short after Dale Burton and George Gruber. I spent too much time hanging around in Indy.

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Dale Burton was who I thought of when I saw that post. Denny Z.

23. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

A little tough to see in the pic, but if you squint it looks like it says "Indy Job" by Paul Knierim.

An artist indeed; I knew him better for that cool poster he did back in the late 70's-early 80's of Deano, Buster, Jimmy and the CRA gang backin' 'em in at Ascot (I think there's a King o' Lawn car in that drawing, now that I think about it...).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  24. racer5c

racer5c

Dale, George and Paul were the three that stand out in my mind, Dale lettered both on the west coast, (Arizona) and in Indy, I would watch him at Grant King's when I was a kid, when I worked at the IMS museum while I was in High School I would watch George letter cars in the museum basement, he had arthritis really bad and actually had to tape the brushes to his fingers, Knierim was THE guy on the west coast, if you had a beautiful CRA it was most likely lettered by Knierim cant make out the above pic but it usually said
    "fancy jazz by
    Paul Knierim"

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Nice shot of Speedy Bill's Beck car. Don't know who's up- Opp, Beckman...?

Attached Files:

• 4x.jpg
      4x.jpg
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
  26. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi: That is Opperman, it was 1969 when the car was new. Me and John Leverenz wrenched the car, we also had our own car with 4X on it which Jan also drove. Bill Chadbourne

27. easter

easter

I enlarged the photo - and you're right - it says: "Fancy Jazz by Paul Knierim". There was a garage in Dayton that did various automotive work, but also rebuilt racecars. The Trevis Dad drove was rebuilt there after a Winchester wreck. I remember sitting on an old workbench one night - real quiet and still - while this young guy did all of the hand painting on the car. He would use both hands to pull and guide the brush for the long pin stripes. Sometimes he would hold a guide, like a yardstick, with one hand against the car and slide the little finger of his brush hand along the guides edge. I asked him a question once and it was like a kid catching his older brother having sex with the neighbor girl - he tried to be polite - but he was damn focused on the task at hand. Bad photo, but here's what he did:
    [​IMG]

28. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

I never saw Opperman wear that helmet.

29. easter

easter

Here's some "open trailer" shots for you guys. Gene Davis sprinter from near St. Louis. Was driven by Dad and Cliff Cockrum:

[​IMG]

Hard to beat the Bob Howell twin trailers. Dean Mast and Dad:

[​IMG]

Dad's first sprint:
    [​IMG]

Dean Mast:
    [​IMG]

Still love those Howell trailers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

Bill posted minutes before me with facts, I had never seen him wear that style helmet but I never saw him run that car either .