Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Roy's ride

Roy's ride
    from Michigan

In 1975 I bought my first car, a 1969 GMC pickup when I was 16. In 1976 I got my first real job with AT&T (Michigan Bell). I just retired from that job. So I'm cruising the Hamb last week as I do every day and this truck pops up. Just had to have it. Plan to keep it stock, maybe a little work on the stance. Also plan to outfit with proper Vintage telephone tools keeping with the theme.

Attached Files:

2. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Way cool phone truck. Back in the 80's there used to be a guy in Great Falls, Montana who had one that was rodded. The sides of the phone box, and the running boards were upholstered in diamond tuft. It was a cool truck back then.

3. There was a small fleet of those stashed at the SW Bell plant in Harlingen, TX when I was a kid. They were all retired...and just sat there for years. I don't know what happened to them.

Yeah...the 42-47s are ugly, but they're cool anyway, and they're different, which ratchets up the cool factor by itself.

4. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

5. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

i dont have issues with the front. you either love it or you dont. the rear fenders on them is what i had issues with

6. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

here is the engine. front clip is 50 chevy stretched. with frame z'ed 7 inches

[​IMG]

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

^^^^^ Thats a pretty cool set-up ! How does it ride and handle?

Heres a few pic's of the freebie one I have to pick up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  8. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

One of my favorites.

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK and hans mercman like this.
  9. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

i havent gotten to drive it around, waiting on driveshaft and radiator. but it should ride like a 50 chevy. it has a vega box for steering, and disk brake kit for stopping, in the back i pulled a few springs, flipped the shackle mounts upsidedown and put 6 inch blocks on it. c notched it a ton

[​IMG]

10. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

i would grab that freebe. if nothing else just for the cab frame and engine

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its a pretty good friend and he said it wasnt going anywhere...nonetheless I want to get it out soon. Thats part of the reasone I have been stuck working on my ol cummins dodge...I need it to go drag this one home! I will build something with it for sure ...I have a pile of extra 46-48 pass car sheetmetal around here...it might get thrown into the mix :D

12. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

How would a 42 Ford passenger car front clip work on one of these trucks? Photo shop? After helping put Verbal Kint's truck together, I have a few extra parts also.

13. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

it has been done and looks awesome, i was actually going to try and figure it out myself untill i saw it done, i have a new plan with the front end now, but im not sure with the car front end because i was trying 41 front sheet metal and it was too wide.

14. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

15. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Doesn't look like the grille was narrowed, so it should work. I don't know if the 42 passenger is a better looking front end, but it would be different.

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I used some 42 parts on my 47 coupe, with a home made surround. I like the 42's but I am a little strange I think!

[​IMG]

17. No matter any of our opinions, it's still automotive history and worthy of our handiwork. Yeah I'm not buzzed about the Alcatraz grill but just look at those hood sides and that sweet hood. In my opinion the prettiest hood Ford ever put on a truck. I see them once and awhile and hope to find one for the home shop someday I can work on.

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't mind the 42-47 era at all. Yeah Chip's was pretty darn neat. I'm in love with the one that has the '47 passenger car clip.

Anyway, I think the UGLIEST early Ford pickup is the '38 and it's entirely the grille....yucko! There was that skinny kid with the green one that was really pretty bitchin' but damn, that grille....

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Jeeeeem! You had to bring up my old truck. Went back to post #81 and looked at it again, wish I had better pictures of that one. What you couldn't see in that picture was the awsome stance that those 5spokes,165s,and hurst recaps gave. I do miss that thing, and might start actively looking for another one.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

what the hell lets bump this up and see if there are any new owners of these trucks...with some help from Flatheadfever I got mine home a few weeks ago!

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hey fellas, where is the serial number ("VIN") on these? Is it the engine number, or is there a tag someplace?

22. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Should be on the top of the frame near the steering box. No vin on the cab that I know of. Who knows how many engines have been in there since new.

23. Been helping a friend who is working on a '46. For what it's worth, if you want hanging pedals on one of these trucks, a '52-'56 Ford car pedal assembly fits the '40-'47 truck cab like it was custom made for it.

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Just trying to explore all my options regarding suspension set ups
    Does anyone know of a power steering box that can be made
    To work with the stock front end

25. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

83 and up Ranger pickup pedals and brake booster work out well also. On the last one, we cut old Ford pedal assemblys and welded them on the Ranger unit so it looked traditional with round pedals.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I wanted to do this with my coupe but they were long gon when I got it...not even sure if they are still with the truck hopefully the are! I used an older Ranger chassis with the 48 Chevy El Camino thing I built years ago, it was a real nice driver, SBC & auto...storry of my life enginewise :p I really want to try and use most if not all of the original frame if I can. Its a long term project so I got a while to gather up junk for it. A really cheap Jag parts car would make it a really fun project!!

27. I like this MUCH better than the Merc version, but then again I like '42s. Anything to soften up the harsh commercial 'all business/no style' look.

Makes me wonder what were Ford's designers thinking when they slung the clay for final styling approval some time in late '40 or early '41 - "Hey, guys, the Big Guy says the war in Europe is coming our way - don't spend a lot of time on it, we need to make it simple to stamp out hundreds of thousands for the war effort." "Well, what about that GPW/MB sitting over in the corner we've been working on?" Coincidence?

28. 47flyer

47flyer

Here's my 47, I've had it since I was thirteen, I'm now thirtyone.
    [​IMG]

I pined for a 40 front clip for several years, but I've grown to like it for what it is now. I belive if you leave it the way Ford built it and nail the stance, it looks awesome.

That being said I love the 46-48 passenger clip on there.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  29. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

some updates on my truck. tons of work now. been busy lately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. This is awesome!!