Register now to get rid of these ads!

is it worth the $$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d100hemi, Apr 29, 2012.

1. d100hemi

d100hemi
    from washington

i found a 48 to 50 ford f1 on craiglist for $500.it is in very pore shape.an it is setting on a dodge d50 frame the top has been chopped about 4 to 6 inch.it needs a lot of sheet metal replaced. it will need a new hood ,new front fenders,new grill,new floors.the top of the doors ,all the glass,and a new ford frame.it has been setting for a long time so it is very rusted.it all so needs a floor for the bed too.so is it worth getting for $500 or should i pass on it an wate for something in better shape.

2. S.F.

S.F.

sounds like a big pile of junk...I'd wait.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No, it's not work the money. Early F-1's are plentiful and available for sale for much less than the many thousands you will spend to "save" the one you found. Just look on Ebay. There's a reason it's only $500. Don't even think about it. Think about buying a '56. Much more desirable.

4. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

I would wait for better.

5. 56butler

56butler
    from Illinois

You should wait till omething better comes along in my area those trucks are a dime a dozen in a lot better shape then you described

6. I guess it would depend on what you really plan on doing with it, restore, parts car, hot rod, etc. I'm still a novice at this whole car thing but everything is super expensive when you are getting parts for these old things. Right now $500 might not sound that bad for the bank account but when you start buying metal for patch panels, it really starts to add up. Then you have to think about the wiring harness, brakes, engine, trans, interior. It could end up costing several thousand just to get the on the road in the first place. You may be better at this car thing than I am and hopefully you will make a decision that is right for your skill level.

7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

8. d100hemi

d100hemi
    from washington

i hear what you all are saying i,ve been looking at it for a week and im not sure i want to mess with it.even though i know i can do the work on it its the money that is the issue.$500 isnt bad but its the othe big $$ that is the problem.if i could talk him down lower on the price of it i would get it just for the parts.but he dont seem to want to go down on it says $500 is as low as he will go.so i will save my money and keep looking for a better deal on a old ford truck.allso in my looking fore a ford truck i found a 58 f100 for $600 but it is missing the bed and the motor and he has no title to it .

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

save your $$ till you can find something that is pretty complete and not full of dents and rust. can always add an eng, etc if needed. keep looking and never know what deal you will find.

10. So you guys are saying the current owner should just scrap it? Bet he will get close to that.

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

why take on a project that the original dreamer has decided to give up on? There's a reason it's available. He ran into a problem somewhere - incompatible wheelbase, incompatible track dimensions. Some guys start these projects with the assumption that just a few bolt holes here and a couple of welds there and it'll be on the road. Don't know exactly what a D-50 is, but as the OP indicates he's already acknowledging he'll be looking for a new Ford frame, maybe there's no reason for me to even opine, beyond that idea that you should just keep on lookin'. What you've outlined as necessities, indicates to me that you'd be better off finding as complete an F1 as you can and start with that. I think you're going to lose the $500 almost immediately.

dj

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

From your description,there is not much there that doesn't need replacing. Got any pics of it ? Sounds more like a started and forgotten project.

13. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Pictures would be a big help but from your description it sounds like a pile of scrap metal, maybe worth $150, you'd get $200 at the scrapper for it but you have to consider your time and gas to haul it there.

I bought a '49 panel a while back for $500, spent a morning pulling out of ghetto garage and to date have sold over $1200 worth of parts and scrap from it. It was a bondo bucket but it was complete and had a lot of useable parts. From what you said I doubt this truck has any useable parts, it's been butchered pretty good.

I've dragged a lot of these old Fords home for parts and probably wouldn't have touched something like unless it was free.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

dont walk away from it r uuuuuu n

15. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

I don't recommend it. I had a $500 truck once. It needed about $2000 in parts just to get in on the road. But there were nicer driver quality trucks already out there selling for $1200 all day long.

Just wait until you find a more decent f1 for a little more money

16. Its a '48-50 F-1 so I am to assume that it has not title, correct?

Let me ask you this did the last frame off restification that you started ever get finished? That may help you decide.

17. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

That sounds alot like the one thats about a mile from me in a junkyard, if so, it is a parts truck, or a #!$ rod. It had the worse attempt at a chop that I've ever seen, bar none. The only parts that are worth more then scrap is the bed, and the halfway decent grill thats inside the cab. They had also welded coil springs between the frame and the axle. It was a complete pile. Don't know if we are talking about the same truck, but either way I would wait.