Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad bought a Buick and it's Breathless

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wolfman1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

It really is Breathless, the Rick Dore 52 Buick, it has a few chips and scratches and my dad is considering having it repainted. Anyone know a good painter in Southern Ontario.
    Don't really want to paint it but the car deserves to look it's best
    [​IMG]

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yes it is breathless, very nice car.

Don

3. EBW

EBW

Beautiful Buick !!

Chips and scratches add character and gives you stories to tell at events about how they got there.

4. That is indeed breathtaking! you'll have to let me know when he'll have it out to any shows cause i'd love to drive up and see it sometime.

5. oj

oj

I don't think i could repaint. I would preserve that one as it is. I don't know the age of the car, the history etc i have seen it before and it is beautiful. Sometimes the chips, warts, age in the leather etc are part of the heritage and your job is to preserve it. Fixing some chips can lead to a slippery slope if you know what i mean.
    Congratulate your Dad for us ok? That is a hell of a car.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Look into having someone GOOD touch up the blemishes. Unless you have Rick repaint the car, the car will never again have a Rick Dore paint job.

Talk to your high end paint/body guys about touch up guys. BE THERE WHEN THEY DO IT! If you're not happy at the first repair, stop them right then!

7. That is a good looking Buick. There is a danger when repainting a car like this, you don't want to drive it in order to maintain it. Personally, I'd rather have a few chips and scratches and feel like I could drive it and enjoy it. But that is just me.

8. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Man, that's a beautiful car!

9. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Thanks for the input guys, it's a tough call to paint it or not.
    Got to get it home first, have to wait 72 hours to get it across the border.
    Heavychevyboy, I'll let you know about shows,we usually go to the Fleetwood show in London in June and Syracuse Nationals in July

10. Squablow

Squablow

If the paint that's on it now is original to the build when the car was first completed, I woudn't touch it, or only do what touchups are necessary to preserve it. It would be a shame to undo the original paint of the build just to fix some chips and scratches.

It is a really nice car and Rick Dore has some great building skills.

11. metalman

metalman

Wow, I've wonder what ever happened to Breathless. I built the frame, motor swap, basically all the mechanicals on it for Rick seems like a zillion years ago. Somewhere I have the build pics from when it was at my shop, let me know if you'ld like them, I did them out and send them to you.
    It had a nice set of cruiser skirts that Dick Dean built for it when I had the car and it was planed to have a white top. Bill Reasoner talked Rick out of the skirts and into the black top, I always thought it would of looked better with the original plan.

12. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

That Ride is Beautiful !!!

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Great car! I agree, unless the paint is really rough I would have some high quality touch up done and give it a good buff. Is it a removable Carson top?

14. Rolling art..beautiful!

15. magneto57

magneto57

CooooooooooL........!!

16. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

Very nice car...

17. big creep

big creep

just drive the shit out of it!!!

18. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Hey Metalman, we would love to have copies of the build pictures, I really like the black top.
    I know what everyone means about keeping the paint, but there's a good sized blister on the left quarter that really should be dealt with and to fix it requires a grinder so where do you stop and I know nobody will match the candy paint

Coolbreeze- yes it's a Carson top that I'm told was built by Dick Dean

Big creep - the shit will be driven

19. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. DANG thats nice

22. Man, that is beautiful! Chips or not, I wouldn't touch the paint.

23. metalman

metalman

I'll look for the pics tonight.
    Don't take me wrong, Didn't say the car looks bad with the black top, car is beautiful as is, just I envisioned it with a white top while i was working on it and was shocked when it was black. Guess I feel white would of been more traditional for a carson (I like traditional) but Bill was more into the 90's contemporary style. Surprised he didn't talk Rick into billit wheels:eek:
    Yes, your correct, Dick Dean built the top. He chopped the original hardtop and pulled a mold for the fiberglass carson shell, then cut the top off.

24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

beautiful car , id be real proud of that one

25. Super nice car and buy!

26. mj40's

mj40's

Chips? I call them merit badges and have earned everyone of them.

27. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

28. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I wondered if that thing was still around. That car produced a pile of awards.