Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Automotive Upolstery Cleaner ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete L., Apr 17, 2012.

1. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

Just like the header reads, whats the best automotive upolstery cleaner out there ?

Thanks for the info !

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

Windex - It's Glass, Fabric, Paint, Plastic safe and it lifts dirt and stains out of fabric/carpet.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

[​IMG]best stuff i ever used , on anything i ever used it on

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

White Wizard for anything. I've used it on leather, vinyl, cotton, etc.......

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

There's this stuff in a big yellow can, TUFF STUFF i think its called. works wonders on cloth, otherwise, i second the glass cleaner on any hard surface.

7. Anything with ammonia will dry out vinyl.

8. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Fantastik. Works well on vinyl

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

As can be seen from the responses already posted, different cleaners are used to clean different materials. Maybe you should specify leather and maybe type of leather, vinyl, fabric and type of fabric. It also matters what you are trying to clean off.

For example: Many times I have carefully used lacquer as a spot cleaner to remove greasy stains from fabric, but it doesn't touch water based stains. Most modern auto interior fabrics are actually processed and woven plastic. Some of those don't tolerate solvent well, other will. In some of those cases mineral spirits is a suitable alternative for stronger solvents. Some things clean vinyl very well but cause it to become brittle.

It happens that I need a good overall cleaner for the synthetic fabric in a newer car I bought recently. I'm not up to date on what's out there. Maybe your question will end up helping me.

10. Yup, that's what I like too.
    Spray it in, foams up and suck it out with a shop vac.
    Works for me.

This IPhone app is the schiznizzle!

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Tuff Stuff has worked well for me so far with no side problems.

12. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

I'll throw in another vote for Tuff Stuff!!

13. Stoner is a brand of products that I like. Their glass cleaner "invisable glass" is awesome also. The carpet cleaner works good as well.

14. srs1

srs1

Tuff stuff!!

15. TxRat

TxRat

Tuff stuff!!

16. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

Tuff Stuff it'll be...I'll get some and get back to you guys !!!

17. Bull

Bull

18. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Crazy Clean, by Sprayway, works great on all non fabric stuff. Great on WhiteWalls too. Tuff Stuff is great on fabric.....when the nozzle doesn't plug up:)

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on what kind of dirt you're dealing with. Most often used is probably plain water.

Tough one? My daughter spilled a bit of spaghetti sauce on our very light colored living room carpet. My wife tried everything to get it out, and was pretty pissed about the orange spot. I got home from work, daughter was in tears, wife was bright red with steam coming out of her ears, I said "I have some stuff in the garage that'll get it out. One spritz of the brakekleen, and dried it out with a terrycloth towel. Clean carpet, but kinda smelly so I used a little dish soap and water to get rid of the brakekleen residue. Note: Do a "hidden" test spot first, cause that stuff will dissolve some fabrics..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  20. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

I used an upholstery cleaner from Blue Coral for years but can't find it anymore. It was clear and in a pump bottle. Don't bother with their aerosol product in the blue can its not the same.

Now I go to the local auto detail supply house and get a produyct called Multiwash from Autosmart and dilute it. It seems to work well and is cheaper than any auto parts store stuff. Check out the detail supply in your area and maybe find something similar.

21. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Dawn dish soap diluted with water is a pretty good cleaner and doesn't usually harm any surface. But only the blue original Dawn, the others don't seem to work as good.

22. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

My Wife.:D

Elwood

23. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

TUFF STUFF

cheap

smells good

works great

and masks the smell of smoke!

24. Buckster

Buckster

I used to use GoJo liquid hand cleaner that we had at the junk yard to clean my soiled vinyl seats. This was not the grit type.

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Tuff Stuff was mentioned several times. The maker of that product is STP. Tuff Stuiff is no longer listed on the STP website, and the local auto parts store is selling off their stock of it fairly cheap. It looks like anyone wanting tuff Stuff better get it while it's still available.

26. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

An old timer auto upholstery guy showed me his secret: for spot cleaning on fabric or vinyl, Coleman camp stove fuel and a clean white towel works well. Put some on the towel and rub the spot gently, and as it picks up the stain move to a clean spot on the towel and repeat. It's pretty similar to dry cleaning fluid, or what they used to call white gas.

27. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Coleman fuel is naptha, which is essentially a high grade of mineral spirits.