Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures of abandoned Drag Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to young to remember it but it's cool as hell.

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

This is a cool thread and has way more potential! BUMP!

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

hey, people abandon human babys everyday! and babys have why more importance over a vintage race car.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It always amazes me the things that get abandoned on those TV storage auction shows. I'm still waiting for the day somebody opens the door on a complete mothballed vintage drag car.

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

6. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

I would

7. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

love that 55 and willis Brad!!!

8. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Around 1983 I saw and ad in the local WantAd for a 64 Riviera drag car. It was at a Buick dealership named Clair Car County near Boston. I went over, and the salesman took me way out back behind all of the junkers that people had traded in. I was shocked when I saw what was up against the chain link fence. Not only the 64, but a 65, a 70 GS Stage 1 with an aluminum hood scoop, and a 67 GS. All of them had been drag raced many years before, and all were in various states of disrepair. Each had amazing natural patina, long before patina was cool. I dreamed on putting the 70 on the road just as it was with the "Clair Car County" lettering and the rust decorating it. Unfortunately I did not have the funds, and when I went back a year later all of them were gone. Does anyone know what happened to them?

9. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

very very nice pics you all thanx for sharring

10. Dog427435

Dog427435

11. This alky Camaro has been sitting in the driveway for many many years. Rumor has it that it is not for sale:(

[​IMG]I remember seeing this car at New England Dragway back in the late 70's

12. John T.

John T.

13. trksmth

trksmth

This is one of them I found a few years back.

Record holder, and not for sale :mad:

I found most of the history on it.

You don't know how hard it is, just sharing this, it just hurts and cause I still want it so BAD!

Mike

Attached Files:

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What a great thread! I love seeing the pics of the cars back in there hayday and now what they look like today. Lots of potential for some of these still to come back and live once more. Hopefully all of the ones that are on this thread have been saved or are in the process!
    J

15. trksmth

trksmth

Here's how it started, same car as above...
    Mike

Attached Files:

16. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Just hurts looking at some of those cars.

17. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Does anyone have any pictures of a green '55 chevy gasser named "the CRANKER" that raced in Kentucky in the late '60's and early '70's...raced in C/Gas......would love to see some pictures of it.....

18. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

My buddy pulled this out of a field by Famoso. Few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

I hate to see these cars just rotting away but seeing them here and knowing there still out there gives me hope that the owners will soon pass them on to someone here on the H.A.M.B. who will bring them back to life again for us all to enjoy. For every car scraped a fond memory is lost. I know they are very rough in some cases but they still have a soul as did all those previous owners/drivers who wheeled them and both deserve to be preserved. Just my opinion folks sorry if I stomped on any toes here.

SS327 likes this.
  20. paulsec

paulsec
    from Reno, NV

Cheetah-

Attached Files:

21. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

22. trksmth

trksmth

Here's another one I'm trying to save...

Attached Files:

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

That Cheatah is cool .,...

24. cakes

cakes

My 54 was found under a deck in 2008 and had been there since 1979. I wish I had some history on it. All I know is that it was raced around charlotte, NC in the 60s and 70s

25. I ws talkin to Charlie Carter(Arnie the Farmers crrew chief) last summer and he said Arnie saw that article and said it was NOT a genuine super duty! I think Beswick would know!

26. I knew Ron Colson,He was admiring my Stude at the World Series last year. I think he has since passed....Used to drive The Hawiian funny car.

27. trksmth

trksmth

OMG, are you sure he passed? I heard he we having some troubles?

Ya, He did run the Hawiian car, in 1980 and won the Nationals If I remember right. That was like some of the first TV coverage I seen him in. Mike

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  28. LENNY R

LENNY R

Ive been wanting to post pics of this truck for a while now. It's not abandoned, I own it and am currently gathering parts to restore it.

This truck was raced by the Baiza brothers Ishmael and Paul in Carlsbad New Mexico in the late 1950s. I was lucky enough to make contact with Ishmael and he supplied me with detailed history and photos of the truck.

Helping the Baizas campaign the truck was their good friend Dick Harrell. Yes Mr Chevrolet himself.

Together they took the truck to the NHRA nationals in Oklahoma City
    in 1958.

I think the pic of it in as found condition was posted here on the HAMB years ago. It was for sale on craigslist, a friend of mine looked at it and luckily turned me on to it.

Here are a few pics, If anyone has more I would love to see them.

I am also looking for footage from the 1958 NHRA nats.

Thanks enjoy the photos

Attached Files:

29. Thats what I was told by two people....Hope I'm wrong!He told me that hiis car was in Minn. and was goin to be restored,but I thought he was having it done...Does it still look like the pics above? Is the interior the same? just wonderin...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  30. Dog427435

Dog427435