Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Truly Traditional, Period perfect 1932-34 Chassis Picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harms Way, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes. They would have been fine for Drift Application. I worked with DAYTON WIRE WHEEL co. designing those wheel. The Tires are Excellsior Racing treads, REAL soft.. Wouldn't have lasted long but smoke a lot!. There was some concern about the Tall Skinny wheels holding up to the lateral G's caused by drifting... but I assure anyone, they would be fine.

-Wires of that design carried 3000lbs+ cars on ROUGH race coarses and INDY all through the early port of this century, and that was Hooked up NOT sliding (No Traction broke loose)
    -This car was scheduled to wiegh in around 2000lbs.
    -650 Hp Rousch racing engine (Dry sump under dash)
    -Tremic 6 speed
    -31 spline Mosier Billet Center section with Mosier "Sheet metal" fabbed housing.
    -KSE power steering unit out of a USAC sprint car.

-The entire front suspension was for a purpose... The Wish bones I designed (Not on it in the pics) CURVED inward towards the frame for maximum Tire clearance.. The "Full-Lock" position on this Chassis was almost 70 degrees!!!

It would have been fun to throw it around with the Import kids.. but didn't happen. :rolleyes:

J Shaw

2. Awesome idea and awesome pics. Will be watching this one keenly.

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think I know what became of this but damn.....if THIS* didn't happen....what a shame.

Attached Files:

• 5758.jpg
      5758.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
  4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Great thread...if you built this now, someone would say it's not right. Any one got any '32's with a suicide mount in front instead of horns?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

haha! If? :rolleyes:

6. NealinCA

NealinCA

Now that's funny. ;):D

7. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

'32 rails, Model A cross members, nailhead, Tremec, Winters QC, Kelsey Hayes artillery wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK guys,....

All cool stuff, but it seems we might be "Listing to Port" a little,... No offense, but lets try to stay away from the 4 bars and coil overs. Like I said on the OP ""Era Specific" and "Period Correct". 1940's to 1960's style...." A little deviation is cool,.... but let's try to stay close to that criteria.

9. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I'll play....

Attached Files:

10. Here is mine!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I'll see if I can find mine, but if anyone has chassis pics of Edsel Ford's Model 40 speedster during restoration, please share!

Bob Gregorie made some neat modifications to a brand new chassis for the speedster, like adding a 2nd front crossmember to stretch the wheelbase, cutting and flipping the rear half of the frame to make the rear suspension underslung, etc.

12. Edsel Speedster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

my 32 coupedeville before the body.[​IMG]

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOVE the wood floor!!

15. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Truly traditional, don't know if it is perfect....

Attached Files:

oldtymehiboy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. awesome inspiration!!!!!!

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

STOLEN FROM ANOTHER HAMB THREAD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

An old carriage house circa 1910. Still has the horse stalls. Perfect man cave for the woodie and the deuce BUT no welding on this floor!!!:eek:

19. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Mine isn't completely perfect. I've got a t5. But other than that the rest is all from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. And the tires come from the 70's (im guessing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 33 chassis under my Coupe

21. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

Here are a few 327-4spd-qc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

Indy champ cars had Halibrand disc brakes in '58.

So basically what y'all want is stick welded, torched out junk. Which is the way it was done back then.

Race cars back then had better parts and designs, why couldn't cars back then have had some of the same stuff?

I post to give ideas of what can be done with old parts, not to say this is the only way it ever can be done.

If people want to get picky, every picture posted on this thread are filled with off topic items.

-Danny

Sent from the best app on the web.

23. Jimmy,

You are a good man- thank you sir!

24. vendetta

vendetta

if its got discs,a 5 speed,coilovers,9" diff drop em over into this thread-http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463961
    :)

25. Why is it soooooo hard for people to understand what an attempt at a traditional or period perfect car is on this forum? You throw in Indy cars, we are not talking about indy cars.......we are talking about HOT RODS...........and if your going to talk about Indy cars of the day, these cars are not using those parts, they are using late model disks, calipers and gearboxes.
    Its amazing that on a traditional forum that some will defend the use of parts that could also be found on street rods.
    Again..... change the title of this thread........its bullshit!

town sedan likes this.
  26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is what I looked like once I realized that this was the one with the heavy chopped 3w deuce body..

[​IMG]

27. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Danny, no i don't want to see stick welded junk, but Harms way spelled out pretty clearly the criteria for this thread, had hopes of this being a killer thread that stuck with primarily early bulid styles defined to the era's as mentioned.Theres plenty of room on the HAMB for these other builds.

thommo.

28. F&J

F&J

Harms way; The 40s pic thread or the 50s pic thread is about the best hamb has done, but even there, a few people post the new builds which should be deleted.

Count me in, because it at least will be close to reality as far as how it was. It was not junk either, just doing what they could with hardly any tools or shop. I love looking at a gennie old build for what it was, and back then we did not care what make or model, when somone said "you see the new coupe in town?"

Most people on hamb don't remember or don't want to.

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

A number of years ago Gray Baskerville coined the term "newstalgia".

Chassis with Disc brakes, 60's and later trasmissions, 9" or non-OEM tubed q/c's rear ends and coilovers belong in this category .......... in my view.

I don't wish to condone the excellent examples of workmanship displayed in this thread. Maybe a "Newstalgia" chassis thread should be started, specifically for these examples??????

Traditional period perfect chassis, lets see ....... 40's have 39 boxes, 50's have Cad/La Salle, 39's, Packard's, 37 Buick's and maybe the odd Hydro. Early 60's pretty much the same. Its not until you get to the late 60's early 70's that 4 speeds were used, and then it was mainly autos in resto rods.

It was in the Newstalgia period that the virtues of 5 speeds were "discovered". Remember these period perfect hot rods were not designed to dirve at 60-70 mph all day every day. Thats why the long trip was featured in the hot rod mags of the time - hot rod guys doing some amazing things for the time.

There you have it ...... My 2¢ worth :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  30. Just because you have a traditional ride that uses all period correct parts doesn't mean you have to use shitty period skills.

bct likes this.