Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shipping parts to Australia?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Any rule of thumb on what the shipping could be, like for a tube of side stainless trim? Maybe the tube is 2-3 feet long? Could it be double what it would be to ship state to state?

2. Squablow

Squablow

If you're sending it through the post office (recommended), there's a 42" maximum length restriction. If you're under that, you're golden. First Class Mail can go up to 36" for a tube as long as it's under 4 lbs total. If it's not real heavy trim, but in a good solid carpet tube or similar, figure on about 4 lbs shipping weight and the cost would be $30.44 for First Class Mail and $46.40 for Priority.

I do this stuff every day, you'll have to fill out a customs form but it's not bad, pretty straight forward otherwise.

3. Thanks for the advice, I basically wanted to quote the guy in the ball park, that's very helpful!

4. Send is a "Gift" through USPS. Helps to keep the cost down (no taxes)!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see a lot of people traveling carry somewhat long and fragile items in lengths of pvc tubing with end caps on it. a lot of fly rods get packed around the country safely that way.

The carpet tube idea is a good one though. The main thing is something stiff enough that it won't get bent and you can roll each piece in a bit of bubble wrap or that foam packing sheet that comes with a lot of stuff now.

6. When i send parts to Oz or USA i mark the customs form as Gift, Clean Used Old Carparts,
    Aussie customs will go crazy if they find a dead bug or spider in the stainless trim.

7. this anwswered my same exact question perfectly!

Thanks

8. Is Fedex competitive price-wise?

9. Cover yourself and over quote the shipping because you can always send the person a refund for the difference through paypal. I normally don't expect a refund on shipping but it has happened to me 4 times. people bitch about being over charged for shipping but they person deserves something for handling the part,i mean the part doesn't send itself!