Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. xracer40

xracer40

The 612 C/G car, the Antelope car, the Triad Car, and Doug's Willys all have chrome door hinges. Hard to tell about the 331 car but they look like they might be chrome also.

2. little t

little t

does anyone know if bowlin or bates are still around or could be contacted

3. Dave...
    Well we know for sure Antelope Valley, Triad and Dougs Used cars were all the same Willys coupe.

I was at my friend's place yesterday where the (above) coupe is located. It is indeed one and the same...still has much of the same writing on it, and Triad is still on the trunk. But a large "Wild Willys" is on the doors. I tried to call my friend who is in the Doug's Used Cars picture to get a little more background , but get this...my friend that has it now, bought it in February 1985, or 1986. He remembers bringing it home on the morning of his daughter's birthday. It was in a Minneapolis suburb. That means that all those pictures with different names were before that, and it must have changed hands a number of times. It will be interesting to find out when it went to California, how long it was there, and how it got back to Minnesota. The owner now, does not remember who he bought it from in the Twin Cities, and he said he found it in the want ads of our local Sunday paper. The price??? Extremely cheap by today's standards...but then they were all that way in the mid 80's. I had 5 pass through my hands during the mid 80's, and never paid over 5 K for any of them. Earlier than that (1981-82) I walked by several that I thought were way over priced for under 4 K...I was pretty naive...maybe a better word was stupid, or cheap. But then again, I bought my first coupe for $250 in 1960, and drove it home, so to me they were always a cheap car. By the way, sold that first one after lots of fun racing, etc., in 1969 for $695 w/o motor. I thought it was a win/win, because that was over twice what I paid for it, and nine years later. I have a couple of pictures of the (1960) coupe on this thread somewhere! (see #974)
    g-willys

4. Would love to see pic's of how it looks today.

5. To WillysRule, Dave, and the others following this journey, I have some answers as to the complete history, and some of it I did not know.
    I talked to the guy in the Doug's Used Car pictures, who is also a friend of mine. Here is what he told me.
    The car is one of Al Tschida's cars, that went to CA. courtesy of Al, and a relative of his...hence the 612 C/G picture...time frame might be late 60's , very early 70's. It apparently scraped the wall at one time, to make the switch from the 4-piece glass front end to the tilt. The rear fenders were also dammaged by that hit, and there is a picture out there that show dents, thus they were steel rears. The later pictures show bigger openings, and are now glass. I think the California sequence was Antelope Speed Shop, and the Triad, which is still on the trunk. My friend who owned it when the Doug's sign was on the door, got it when it returned to Minnesota, (he thinks) somewhere around 1972. He is the one who put Wild Willys on the door, as it is today. The Doug's sign was a Minnesota business from back then.
    (I don't know how long it was raced in CA....perhaps some of you may know.) He eventually sold it, and it changed hands a couple times before my other friend bought it in Feb. of '85, or '86. That's where it is today...on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border about 20 minutes from me. He has started to put it back together, but it is a ways off. I will try and get some pictures of it in the (pole) barn. When I raced, Al was one of my hero's, as he could shift a 4-speed to make it sound like an automatic...I didn't know him then, but I do now, and I also know where his other two Willys are. Al had another coupe before the one we are talking about, and it is near Duluth MN. He also had a '33 coupe and that is still around also, just North of the twin cities. After his time with Willys, Al ran funny cars for a while, around the mid-west.
    He re-created a copy of his green coupe a couple years ago.
    This all make more sense to me now, as Al had chrome hinges and a chrome rocker panel on his cars, as shown in the pictures. We think the full floating rear may have gotten damaged, and changed when it kissed the wall.
    This obviously is way more than all of you wanted to know, but a great history lesson for me.
    g-willys

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Speed Gems likes this.
  6. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thanks for the update, please try to get us some pictures. Its amazing how some of the history of this car came together just now 40 or 50 years later. Never too much info, I love it!

7. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i agree---never to much info----glad it was posted-- and fun to read

8. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

g-willys, very cool story and history. Is your friend putting in back as it was in any of it's earlier race days appearance?

9. Gassy,
    He started out years ago to make it an all steel car. He got a set of doors from me, a good front clip from a donor sedan and steel rear fenders. But over time when patina, and old skool came back into vogue, he decided to put it back as before. He put a newer straight axle, and a big block in it...but other projects
    (including a paint job for my '36 sedan) have delayed things a bit. In the meantime he has two outstanding '40's to drive ... a Willys sedan, and a flamed Ford sedan. I'll try and get some pictures of the coupe to post. Looks cool in the middle of his barn just as it did 25 years ago.
    g-willys

10. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks for the update G-Willys. I had a feeling the 612 C/G car was an early version. Each version was really sharp, especially the green fade paint. As many others have said, I'd like to see current pictures as well. It's always cool to see these cars survive. It's almost like a time capsule.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  11. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Some shots of a my friends Willys when I was a teenager. The car was sold and later transformed into the current Ariso Bros. tribute car.

Attached Files:

12. Covered wth red metalflake vinyl. Bought by my good friend Vic Young back in the 80's, stripped and re sold. I have the heads on my current coupe and the trans is in the pickup I am curretly building. Anybody ever seen or heard of this car?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. xracer40

xracer40

[​IMG][​IMG]

Elk Creek Dragway near Wyethville Va. Here's a picture of my car at the same track in 1984.

[​IMG]

14. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

A few more pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here's a couple out of Portland, Oregon in the 60's. Jack Frost and Chuck Tiller. Both small block Chevys as I remember.

Attached Files:

16. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

heres some more i found browsing

Attached Files:

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

one more

Attached Files:

18. Brog

Brog

19. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a couple of my pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve's 33 which he still has
    [​IMG]
    Steve sold this car, was black
    [​IMG]

21. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

Very cool!!!
    Was this down in canton?

22. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

My '39 from Frisco area last year I have put 12,000 miles on it since. Don't know much about builder, but am guessing it was done mid 70's. anybody recognize it?

Attached Files:

23. I recognize it! I see it in the Hangar parking lot everyday!

24. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Ya gotta drive 'em!

25. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

26. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Charlie Decker or the "One Arm Bandit" did the striping and lettering right?

27. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

So I found this pic the other day of this primered 41 Willys with Halibrands. Apparently the pic was taken in 89 at Firebird Raceway in AZ. I was trying to figure out what car it was, and I think it may be this Brown Bros re-make car, that sold on Ebay a few years ago. It has the same wheels, and it looks like the same rounded rear bumper caps. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Sent to me to post........

Seven of us [4 Willys] cruised to the Benicia Car Show Sunday.
    The black Willys pick up is Dave Rivera's '40 of San Ramon, Ca.
    The red Willys sedan is his wife Vicki's '38/'40.
    The '28 Willys Knight is our local friend Butch Wallace's, running an Olds with six 2s
    and a LaSalle box, old school; thought you might like that,
    Mick

Attached Files:

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not seen this pic before, sorry if its a double up

[​IMG]

30. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

That is a Cool looking willys Trouble