Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage drag boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 25, 2008.

1. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Anyone out there own a Temptation [canadian boat]

2. I remember "Mr. Canvas", and I remember the boat "Going Places" as well. ( Wasn't the "Going Places" boat a Placecraft, or am I confusing the issue?) As I recall, you're right, "Rated X" and "Going Places" were the two main players in that class.
    I took many photos from the drags back in the late 60's thru the 80's, and sadly, can't seem to find them, save for that photo of "Rated X". Oh well. Those days were some kinda fun.

Wheeler likes this.
  3. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

I crew on a Grand Prix Hydro out of Everett Wa.

4. MistShift

MistShift

Yep, a lot of drivers got killed when they hit the water, the open face helmets would scoop the water and snap the wearer's neck. As a barefoot skier, I can attest to the fact that at anything over 50 MPH, hittin' the drink is like hittin' cement.

5. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I remember the name California Shaker. Did it run in the IHBA in the late 80's early 90's at Puddingstone and Castaic?

6. 65COMET

65COMET

The Rated X jet looks like a Placecraft,hard to see the deck.Bill and Frank Place designed the Southwind 19 foot tunnel hull before they started Placecraft Boats.I had a 77,19' Southwind Tunnel Dragster[that is what they were called],bought it brand new.The 'V'bottom jets were flat assed scary,just like the pictures show.One good thing to come out of the crashes back then were the driveline disconnects like the Whirl Away,and for jets the blow-off valve,kept a lot of violent crashes away!!! ROY.

7. David Barton

David Barton

Hi LeadSledMerc, Wish now I would have bought that Stevens back from you, it was beautiful ! Joe Reath did a great job on that Hemi, I would have put 2 carbs on it. That Nailhead was great. I will have to post some pics of my Schiada soon. Spike has some nice boats! You got to get back into the V-drive Boats ! Later ....

8. David Barton

David Barton

I have to work that weekend , but let me know next time you guys are showing the boats, Would like to show mine , How is your 427 coming along ! I`m making some changes to my trailer, like going with reverse chrome rims and white walls. Putting the old clothes line steering back on and found some nice O.T`s and ski bar, Wish I could run the exhaust thru thru transom, but I don`t have the room with the adjustable cav. I saw Dave Mandella at the Show in Bixby Knolls, with my Favorite !!AA/F cars !!! take care, call me for the next show.

9. Choptop

Choptop

here are few pics I scrounged up of other peoples boats and tow vehicles....

Attached Files:

10. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

David, I sent you a PM...I'd love to talk to you about your old Stevens!

11. trbomax

trbomax

I built this one in 1966,ran it untill 1974.Its been sitting in one of my buildings,covered up since then.

Attached Files:

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^Would love to see more of this one, if you ever pull it out and clean her up post some more pic's!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

13. trbomax

trbomax

I took those 3-4 yrs ago.back when it was running all the pics were 35mm.wouldnt have a clue where they are.I am going to pull it out this fall because I'm useing the motor in my 28 chev 3 window rebuild.

14. Choptop

Choptop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  15. Choptop

Choptop

16. rustang

rustang

You had to have "balls of steel" to pull the trigger on one of these...look how narrow this is... too cool.. :)
    Tom

17. Choptop

Choptop

18. Choptop

Choptop

19. Choptop

Choptop

20. [​IMG]
    [/QUOTE] You crash.....You lose (your shoes)

21. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

my dad took these of his buddy Gary Gabelich in long beach M/S late 69' early 70's
    I think this is after or during the time he also was driving the beach city funny car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. Elmer Rodger

Elmer Rodger
    from San Diego

sweet old wood flatty trbomax, it's about time to uncover that thing and get her wet again :D
    here's my old 68 Stevens w/406 sbc

Attached Files:

23. Choptop

Choptop

ok, now I've done it.... re-reading this thread gave me the bug.... brought home a 1964 Barron flatbottom today. 390FE, Glenwood wet logs, Casale in/out.... great patina, horrible mural. Will likely refinish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looks like a real nice start...congrats!!

25. FINALEFFORT

FINALEFFORT
    from cincinnati

Our boats thru the years

Attached Files:

26. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Is this the same Final Effort that Tom Black drove in the IHBA in the 80's?

27. FINALEFFORT

FINALEFFORT
    from cincinnati

yes thats the same FINAL EFFORT we hire tom to drive after we put the capsule in the boat in 88

28. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

here is my 70 Charger, its an 18 foot flatty, and the original sales flyer from Charger. Its got a 468 BBC and 12 over gears. its a fast fun scary awesome ride...

Attached Files:

29. Went to the races at Marine Stadium in Long Beach a month or so back...finally getting around to posting pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]