Register now to get rid of these ads!

southern dragstrips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Apr 25, 2012.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

anybody from the southeast remember/race at yellow river in covington.ga.atlanta speedshop in covington,ga. dallas in dallas ga. fairburn in fairburn ga. cumming in forsyth co. ga. warner robbins, in houston co. ga.??? also, the beach in Ala., and lassiter mt. in Ala. they are all gone now, but i spent most friday&saturday nights, and sundays at one of these strips from the early 60s to early 80s.

2. Did you ever frequent Green Valley Dragstrip in Glencoe, just south of Gadsden, Alabama?

3. southern thunder

southern thunder

forgot greenvalley, and also dothan

4. afaulk

afaulk

Holiday Beach is still going strong. Lassiter Mtn. has been remodeled/widened and has all new racing surface pretty nice, long shutdown. The return road is only about 7 ft wide though... wtf were they thinking.

5. Smokey2

Smokey2

:cool:
    What about Hudson, N.C., ran some Gooder than Hell Competition over thar !!!!!1
    Asheville, N.C., ..........1/8 Mile Strip, Eddie Joyner Speed Shop was There ! ..........Like I sez, Maybe before YOUR daze !
    I ran a '57 Chevy, 283 , .040 overbore, an, a Racer Brown Roller Bump Stick............Which turned the littlle "feller" 8700 rp's........
    Oh well that's days gone Bye. Thanks fer listening to ME.

Smokey (Sigh ! )

6. dont forget sunset drag strip in panama city, fl., and baker drag strip, above ft. walton , fl.

7. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Phenix Dragway in Phenix City, AL (1/8 mile last I heard), Lee County Drag Strip in Opelika, AL (gone now), Phenix City hosted a National points and record meet there twice a year. I also raced at Houseton County. Any one here know what ever became of Buster Couch? He was the starter at all the "big" NHRA races back then.

8. afaulk

afaulk

Don't forget Winston County (alabama) barely had 2 lanes, short downhill shutoff area. Scotty Cannon and Hugh Scott, Joey Myers and others had some old school drag racing going on. Still running there, track is RUFF!

9. k9racer

k9racer

lassiter mountian has reopened. You left Helena off your list. In north ala New Hope has been closed since 70, also in huntsville sun set drag strip ran only one season is now a air field. is closed{ Paul Contarno} was the manager. Jakes Drag strip in molton {N Al}has reopened 1/8 mile.

10. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Was on Joey Moore's crew back then

11. bauschracing

bauschracing

Phenix is still going, not much but "grudge" racing and "Dirty South Outlaws" not a place to take your family for an outing. In the late 60's, we use to drive through the motel parking lots in Phenix City when the big races were being held at the track. People were building motors in the motel parking lots. All of the big name racers were there. Lee county was just before my time but my auto shop teacher ran a thunderbolt there. It was called the "War Eagle".
    There is a school where Warner Robins was. Most people race now at Silver Dollar in Reynolds. My best friends father ran Modified Production there in the late 60's.
    Savannah dragstrip just closed about 6 years ago. I was working at Hunter AAF when it closed.
    Mike

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

To the East in Ware Shoals SC, started as "Starlight Dragstrip" in the late 50's, still in operation today, thou the name has changed to "Ware Shoals Dragway". I was at "Dallas" in 1964/1965 the day Richard Petty went into the crowd.

13. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Wow. Very cool that you were there . . . I used to live in marietta which isn't too far from there.

Dallas was the first dragstrip I ever went to, a buddy of mine convinced me to go see the one time a year alcohol funny cars ran there and I was hooked. My first drag race was there in my 66 falcon, at the time with the stock inline 200 and a c4. I think it ran like a 12 something (1/8 mile track).

Couple of months after it closed:

[​IMG]

Yellow River closed way before my time but it is pretty cool you can see exactly how it was layed out just driving by it on I-20. Straight shot of road for half a mile or so now with trailers off the strip :D

14. afaulk

afaulk

Then you know what i'm talking about! That track separates the men from the boys. I'm just one of the boys LOL. My best there before the track was shortened was 5.83 (648 ft track) that was almost as fast as i wanted to go.:eek:

15. Race Artist

Race Artist

Your shop teacher was Steve Honnell I assume? He was at The Old Drag Racers Reunion back around 2003 or so. Somewhere I have a photo of the War Eagle running at Phenix City. He has quite a collection of rare cars from what I understand. My late friend Bobby Fermier drove his '66-7 Comet S/S a few times.
    Joel