Register now to get rid of these ads!

SCORED!...at an Antique Mall?...my wife is brilliant...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Apr 24, 2012.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I gotta give kudos to Donna...this was her idea...

Backstory...This last weekend I went to a local swap meet and scored big time on some nice high ticket items...and then put them on ebay and made some good $$$. Donna asked why I didn't go to more swap meets, and I said cause I didn't like to travel long distances (wuss, I know)...so she says "Why not go to all the local Antique Stores and look for car stuff?"

Today was her day off, so off we went...it was hours of boredom looking at aisle after aisle of knick-knacks...but I did find these...

An NOS 1959/1960 Chevy Impala Halo Mirror sitting on a shelf amongst the bricka-brack... and a Hubley '34 Ford 3w...total cost with tax was $54.00...the last Halo mirror I saw on ebay was $400.00.

Yeah, she's brilliant.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Babyearl

Babyearl

I would say that Donna is a keeper,,

3. skyspop

skyspop

Nice score,good job,I see no replys for 5 hours,I think all the antique stores just got a rush of hambers in the last few hours....

4. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

Was just at an antique store on the weekend and was suprised at the number of smaller car parts there. A lot of it was 60s stuff which I'm not very educated on, but after seeing this, maybe I should be!

5. Don't understand why you aren't "educated" on Hot Rods..

Wait till I see your old man...LOL..

Rick
    ==============================================

6. Squablow

Squablow

I've had one of those mirrors for a while and never knew what it was for, glad to know now. Good scores.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hell, those mirrors would look cool just sitting on a desk at work or home.

8. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Keep Donna.......lose that mirror!! Might be the butt ugliest mirror I have ever seen....and they sell for $400???????? Unbelievable!

Good luck with it......knowing you, it'll sell for some whopping number!.....and good for you!

Brucie

9. mrdodge

mrdodge

Love those antique malls. We don't have them here, just overpriced shops. :eek:Went to some in Missouri last time I was in the States (2008) and found some cool automotive stuff, small bits that were easy to get home. Coming over again this year for Bonneville and doing a bit of a trip around so will be looking out for them.:D

10. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

This just in... Antiquing,.... NOT gay..... sometimes those kinda shops have the coolest shit. It's even better when they're not car oriented cuz the prices are easier on the wallet.

11. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Donna did GOOD!! She needs take you on more parts buying missions.

12. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Antique malls have some good stuff I found this at an Antique mall

Attached Files:

13. GREAT SCORE! I like the 34 better lol.
    I am an antique shop junkie(but I can quit anytime....if I have to)and I have scored big time many times.I collect pocket knives(since I was 10 years old)and have found some of the greatest pieces in antique shops.They are usually vastly over-priced or drastically under-priced.I don't see a whole lot of car parts in them but occasionally come across things that people want really silly money for.

14. sololobo

sololobo

A super score dude, Go Donna Go! Cool idea gal, that is a stunning mirror. I see them all rusted up with no mirror go for a hundy! Sick!! Congrats kids. ~sololobo~

15. fuel

fuel

Me and my wife go to them all the time. Sometimes you can find good deals. Most of our furniture is antique. It's funny how you can get some nice antique furniture for the same price that you would pay for cheap ass Walmart or Ikea furniture as long as you aren't in a hurry and can wait for the right deals.

Our best automotive score was a set of mint 1932 Texas plates that were still in the paper. Never issued. Pretty cool for $80. Lol.

16. rld14

rld14

Yup, I've made some real scores at antique malls. Bought a set of OT BBS RS wheels at one in Alabama for $200. Got $1500 for them on eBay.

17. locorider

locorider

Thats a 58 Chevy Fender deluxe mirror. The problem with ebay is that its not what you see an item listed for, its what it SELLS for. Go to completed listings to get an actual sold price.
    Great score bytheway...

18. Great finds! The family that hot rods and antiques together has more fun! My wife has a better eye for finding stuff and she is an unmerciful haggler. Half the time they give in just to get rid of her.

19. Every now and then these wives of ours have a good idea! We actually hit the antique malls around us pretty often, never know what you'll stumble upon!

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Nice score! I don't go to the shops as often as I used to. Once in a while you find a treasure. It seems the good stuff ends up on fleabay and all that's left is the junk no one wants. Does this mean we can call you 3wLarry again?

21. Nice score! Looks like the making of a new reality TV show!! I'd watch that..

22. Bishop73

Bishop73
    from Texas

Very nice! Looks like I might have to hit up some shops myself.

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The part # on the mirror is 3750725...the NOS rubber gasket that came with it is part #3751943 LH if that helps.

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...:p

27. Larry, my wife and I also hit the "antique" errr malls a lot as a passtime...
    last trip I found a cool Jetsons looking chair[20.00] for guitar playin chair,and scored a 49 Mercury steering wheel with horn hardware in good shape for 28 dollars

28. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I keep my local antique stores canvased. I have bought some good stuff there.

29. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

my wife picked up a 1940s densmore compass in the OG box with instructions still in it for $5 at a flea market... I looked at her like she was an angel when it sold on egay for $430.... lowriders love their OG accessories!

30. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

There are a couple of antique stores in our little town. I check them out regularly.