Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you use for bead lube when mounting tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rustdodger

rustdodger

I would like to know what my fellow HAMBers use to lube tire beads when you mount tires.I remember there being a product that was made for bead lube years ago. Do any of you know if anything is still made that works well and who sells it. What about mixing your own or other products that do the job?

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I use very soapy water....

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Dishwashing soap & water.

4. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yep !

6. TERPU

TERPU

Dawn or Palmolive dish soap straight out of the bottle. Best part is your hands will clean right up and be soft as Madge's.

Tim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. amx180mph

amx180mph

Ruglyde cheap and made to mount tires, leaves a nice clean tire with no residue when your done Napa #765-1338 about 12.00 a gallon.

8. DL Hand Cleaner or straight green liquid Palmolive dish soap.

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Dish soap and water...

10. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

my bro changes big rig tires..he uses soap and water..

11. deto

deto

Plenty of spit if you're lubing beads...

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Had an old rusty rim I wanted to use for a spare on a trailer and did not want to blast or powder coat. When I mounted the tire the bead was leaking so I wire brushed it as best I could and used axle grease to seal it up...been holding for about three months now, but I'm sure when I need it it will be flat by then.:mad:

13. Water based products could rust the inside of the wheel,only if to much is applied.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I was a kid I worked at a gas station and we used a mixture of water and Murphy's Oil Soap. We had that round brush that we would slather the stuff all over the bead and slip it on. When I bought my first set of American Torque Thrusts I refused to use the machine on it so we lubed it up with transmission fluid and put the tires on by hand.

Don

15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

16. Most of the water blows out when the bead is set, have been using the soapy water thing since day 1.

Bob

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So can the moisture in most compressed air.

I've worked at a couple places that used "Rim Ease" or one of the commercial bead lubricants, but always ended up with dish soap and water when no one ordered the lube.

18. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I usually use house brand dish soap with 1 to 5 parts water. I bought a jug of Ruglyd last year and it is WAY slipperier and doesn't evaporate or run off as fast (maybe that is why it seems slipperier). With it I seated the first bead of some new Michelins by hand ( no tire irons). I brought it in the house for the winter because I think it can freeze

19. oldolds

oldolds

The experts tell you to never use oil. Something about it not being good for the rubber. Ruglyde is prob the #1 garage product. Soap and water is #2. Silicone spray works, not harmful to rubber. WD-40, CRC, ect will work, but tire makers say they are harmful to rubber.
    If you have a rusty rim, clean off the scale, lay some paint on as heavy as you can, put the tire on while it is still dripping off, blow it up. Works most of the time.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You know where Napa Auto Parts is, right?
    The parking lot next door.

[​IMG]

21. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

A old timer told me told me to use shaving gel and it works good.

22. Bear makes a great lube/sealer for tires with a scuffed up bead or less than perfect rim surface. I used it when mounting stock car tires all the time just to ward off evil spirits.

Bob

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I dont use anything ,I dont have a real tire machine,I dont want my bars to slip

24. Uncle Bob 66

Uncle Bob 66
    from Minnesota

I am going to mount some tires today and thought I"d try using some of the lubricant that electricians us to pull wire through conduit. You can buy it at hardware and major home improvement stores. It works great for wire and doesn't have any negative affects to rubber as petroleum based lubricants might.

GeezersP15 likes this.
  25. Dish soap and Palmolive sells it.

I just use dish soap but I don't own a tire shop. The last time I worked in a tire shop we used dish soap. But that was a long time ago.

26. never met a girl named "tires"

27. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Do not use "yellow 77" as it dries to a waxy film and may allow the tires to slip on the rim under acceleration. "Poly water" or "clear glide" may work fine but remember that many wire lubes are designed to stay slippery even after they dry out, because sometimes we need to pull wires back out years later. That may be a good thing after you wear out the tread and need to get them off. I would still wipe off all you can before inflating.

I have used dish soap and water or "STP son of a gun" (silicone).

28. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

X2 this is the stuff I have been using for + 40 years....

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I use silicone spray.............has worked very well for me for several years

Ray

30. After being in the truck tire biz for 35 years, I would recommend Murphy's or Myers mounting soap. This stuff is thick, becomes very slick with a little water, and won't harm the tire or rim. We mounted nearly 500 tires a day, so we needed to make it as easy as possible!!