Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. From what I understand, Aggie could be pretty tight with his money sometimes. So many irons in the fire.

2. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Hey Rootie, I'm glad to see you back. :D We missed ya!
    PK

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks PK,
    re: the #98 steering, that pic would be from 1968 and,of course, by then Aggie had a r/e car for pavement races, so that kinda blows my dirt/asphalt theory.

4. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

That's right. And I believe that power assist/steering was used as early as 1964 on a few of the Champ dirt cars. It seems like the Leader Card and Dean Van Line teams were some of the first to install them. Maybe someone else here remembers more about this.

It took a few more years for sprint cars to go to power steering but from memory I think that Gary Bettenhausen used a power steering unit when he won the 1969 USAC championship for Willie Davis.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

As early as 64 (maybe earlier) I think they were reworking and adapting GM Saggy boxes and pumps.

Attached Files:

6. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Not sure of I can mount these yet dad.

[​IMG]

7. gearguy

gearguy

He did a heck of a job with the grooving iron! Som eguys know how to train stooges.

8. There's nothing wrong with starting them young.........nice one mate....:)

9. easter

easter

You'll notice his right foot is forward. Atta boy.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey fella's.. as some of you know I'm in the midst of another thrash to get a car done for a deadline..

Legendary Hot Rod builder BOBBY ALLOWAY once told me in his best southern draw.. "Josh, we wouldn't ever get a Damn thing done if it were'nt for Deadlines"

Well, he was right.

Here is a teaser pics for you fellas of the 1948 KK2000 Hal Cole Kurtis that WILL be at Indy May 24 - 26.

Enjoy..

J Shaw

Attached Files:

11. ^^^ Hmmm...it looks like it's already getting " The Red Carpet Treatment " ^^^:cool:

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Well I'm wrong on the mechanical advantage comment.

I questioned Duane Nelson about this and he pointed out that the leverage was actually the same as a long pitman arm but the relay linkage reduces the roll steer and that this was also probably pre-power steering.

13. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Jack Beckley put a Saginaw unit in the Hopkins dirt car in 1961. After Bettenhousen was killed they hired Branson and he needed it. The steering unit is large and required some fitting to the frame.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

One of the first to use power steering in a sprint car was Don Brown in his Mechanical Rabbits. My understanding is that his shop was next door to Tommy Lees machine shop and they collaborated on the steering boxes. Which lead to the birth of Lee power steering.

15. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

most saginaw boxes turned the wrong direction-thats why I think it is power steering[linkage is reversing the direction]a mid 60's speedway motors car featured in hot rod magazine[kenny gritz?]had the same setup.The GM power box to look for was the 61 to 63 olds f85 and buick special,they did turn the correct direction and were much sought after.there was a company in wisconsin[outhouse engineering?]that made many of them

16. rpr10ak

rpr10ak
    from Alaska

I stumbled onto this site searching for 50's midget photos. Super cool! I have been slowly working through every page of this thread and decided to join and post some photos from my familys racing past. Some from the 1950s into the early 80s. All of these were in Indiana.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

17. gtxrider

gtxrider

Wasn't too long ago even the Indy cars arrived on open trailers. The fenders on the trailer made go seats for bench racing!

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome rpr, looks like your family has a long history of going around in circles.:) Some quality rides too, I bet you wish you still had them.

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

rpr10ak, Welcome aboard. I have to ask whats your "family's name"? Denny Z.

20. gearguy

gearguy

GTXrider:
    We have put very stout fender mounts on our open trailer for exactly that reason. It isn't only tires and chassis that have gotten wider over the years...
    The Kishline dolly wheel trailer is reputed to have carried Harry Turner's Indy car around too. I'll see if Gregg will let me post the story he wrote about Harry's foray into the big time.

21. rpr10ak

rpr10ak
    from Alaska

Thanks, dad's name was Ray Richards (not the Chicago one). He raced midgets and sprint cars based out of Terre Haute. Much later, we raced 1/4 midgets based outta Terre Haute.

22. rpr10ak

rpr10ak
    from Alaska

Thanks, the offy would have been cool to still have. Just because it was an offy.

23. baldtireman

baldtireman

I think "Open Wheel" magazine ran a tech article on them,too.! My Stapp car had one,but it was so scary that I threw it away.....:eek:

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome RPR10ak.. And welcome all the other new comers.. It's great to hear from ya, and see your pictures.

------------------------------------------

Okay.. time to get a little off subject, but we deal in "Vintage open wheel" and generations of racers, so.. here ya go.

(I don't think I posted these here yet)

As you all know, I grew up racing Karts. My dad raced karts as well. About 6 months ago we found and bought one of our old racing karts. This was my dads 2nd kart he raced, and the first 2cyl I ever raced. My Dad was in his early 30's when he ran this kart. (1980's)
    Anyways, we decided to get a KT-100 Yamaha and get it running and rip it around once more before we hang it on the wall BUT!!! we also wanted to put my 10 year old nephew Gage in it so that we can say 3 Generations drove it..
    Gage was a little concerned at first, but that lasted about two laps.. In the picture below you can see he's ON THE GAS with the Right front up!

Also a picture of how we found it. When we sold the Kart my dad kept the Number plates and Nose piece as wall hangers.. Glad he did!!

Next picture is dad back in the Kart making a couple laps, and then the next is me sliding it around a bit.

It was a very memorable day.

The last picture is Gage on his Fun Kart We built him.. Tire up and On the gas! Papaw has a hard time keeping a left rear on this kart! :rolleyes:

J shaw

Attached Files:

• kart1.jpg
      kart1.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
    • k9.JPG
      k9.JPG
      File size:
      451.9 KB
      Views:
    • k11.JPG
      k11.JPG
      File size:
      418.9 KB
      Views:
    • k5.JPG
      k5.JPG
      File size:
      462.4 KB
      Views:
    • k14.JPG
      k14.JPG
      File size:
      409.9 KB
      Views:
    • k2.JPG
      k2.JPG
      File size:
      418.1 KB
      Views:
  25. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

very cool, I too also have my old Pa. X-IKF state champ Kart from back in the day. I need to get that out and play a little :)

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well... I might as well say it now or my old man will get on me about it..

DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY OLD GO-KARTS FOR SALE?

My dad is on an OLD GO KART kick.. ANYTHING.. 1980's and back..

He wants a Twin Engine Mac real bad..

I found this one locally but haven't been able to talk the kid out of it.. YET! ;) (It was his grandpaw's... I respect him NOT wanting to part with it)

Attached Files:

27. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

lmao, heard that Josh. I have 2 karts, some mac parts, a mac 6, a mac 75, 2 580 west bends, one quick change gear box..............hmmmmmmm guess i need to get my ass to work and get them back together
    I ment to say nothing for sale at this time also

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  28. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Last weekend I made the run to Gas City and Eldora for the USAC deal. Got rained out at Gas City, saw a great show at Eldora. Anyway Saturday I ran down to Indy, took the track tour, I got to go into the Pagoda and up to the 10th floor, what a view, to bad it was cloudy and overcast. Here's some of the highlights from my visit, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Branson at Sac in 65. Stolen off Facebook..

Attached Files:

30. gtxrider

gtxrider

Open trailer bench racing at Islip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012