Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on best 6v battery brand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butch Clay, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Hi guys

I need a new 6v battery for my 46 Chevy truck. I'm not sure where to but t or the best brand to buy. I have an auto zone, bumper 2 bumper, farm and fleet, and the big box stores around me.

Anybody have good advice for me?

Butch

2. csimonds

csimonds

I got an Interstate 6volt last year for my Buick and she has no problems at all, even after sitting in the cold all winter! I bout it thru my local alternator repair shop for around $90 bucks or so.....
    Chuck

3. silversink

silversink

The thing that will kill a 6 volt is being undercharged in the cold weather-----keep it charged all the time. Batterys are pretty much made the same unless you go to the gell Optima types. batt. manufacturers are like canning comp.s, depends on what label they are useing that day---there are only a few manufacturers that produce all the brands. Interstate has been a good brand but its a toss up whether you get a good one or have to fall back on the waranty on all brands.

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

RAYOVAC = american made = good products and best guarantee

5. I have switched to John Deere batteries for 2 of my projects. They seem to hold up better then most of the "parts house" branded batteries. A little more money but I dont have to replace them year after year.

6. optima- you can mount them anywhere and have a good warranty.

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

If you can find them, try to track down an 8v battery. Sounds crazy, I know, but a few of the local agri shops stock them here for augers and RV's etc.

I ran one in my '53 Chevrolet sedan. It turns the starter quicker, and I never saw any adverse effect to my electrical system at all.

8. purpledodge

purpledodge
    from Tucson

Deka......american made.

9. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

I got my Optima red top through amazon for $105 shipped.

10. thought exide was back east?

11. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Great advice guys. I appreciate it a lot!

I like the American made idea. I'm also curious about the 8v. Gonna do some research on that.

Butch

12. Westco48

Westco48

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

No problem.

However, the 8v trick is just old-time farm tech for slow starting vehicles and tractors (hey, I grew up on a farm...I use what works haha).

A properly set up (new cables, good grounds, rebuilt starter/generator etc) 6v system should work equally as good.

Sorry to stray from the original question :eek:

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

8v battery is an old fix for a weak electrical system. You don't need it if your wiring etc is up to snuff. If you use one you have to adjust the voltage regulator up from 7.6 to 9.8 volts.

Optima type are said to be best and longest lasting, and have more power than a regular 6v battery. Just as good as the 8v for starting.

The main thing is not to let a battery sit around and get discharged. More than 20% discharge, if it is not charged up again right away, can lead to sulfation and early death.

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The battery is important but the cables also must be for 6 volt.
    They are much heavier and that is because they have to carry twice the amps!
    Check your voltage regulator while you are under the hood.

16. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Optima,...or Interstate,....... I abused an Interstate RV battery, and it never did fail....

4TTRUK

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Delco works for me........

It is true that there are a lot fewer battery makers than brand names, but the maker produces to the seller's specs and price point .........not all batteries from a producer are created equal...very same thing with tires for that matter.

19. rld14

rld14

Optima x 10

I have one in my OT 356A, they're way better than anything else out there that I have ever found.

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

21. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

-1 optima, made in Mexico BS. the Deka has always been a better battery.

22. RouteVanJoe

RouteVanJoe

I love that I was able to find this thread and it reminds me why I like this forum. I need to replace my 6v batteries (yes, plural) in a pinch so that I can get it back to the paint shop tomorrow and have some confidence that they'll be able to start it once it's there.

I've always had fantastic luck with Interstate 12V batteries, the used ones I buy at the junkyard seem to last longer than new batteries. Only problem with Interstates is that they're hard to get oddball models when you're in a hurry. My plan now is to go with Napa because I know that they have the one I need in stock.

And for you west-coasters, the batteries that I'm replacing are Les Schwab store brand. They've lasted at least 9 years with no problems. But I left them hooked up during winter storage this year (farmer likes to be able to move things around), and there was a previously unknown current draw through the brake switch. Seems to have killed them off, because I can get one start out of them and then they're down to 4 volts each.

23. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    from Wisconsin

I've had good luck with the "Farm Rated" brand 6v batteries from Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm. The battery in my '54 is 4 or 5 years old now and it has no issues cranking the engine over. The trick is to have heavy gauge battery cables. I am using 00 gauge cables on my '49. Farm and Fleet carries them too.

24. RouteVanJoe

RouteVanJoe

Got my Napa batteries today... I think my truck now starts faster than my 2006 daily driver. But that would have happened with any new battery; I just didn't realize just how bad the old ones were. Now I know what I was missing out on.
    Guy at the local body shop that I talked to this week is a dyed-in-the-wool Interstate Batteries fan. He runs snowplow equipment and said he'd always had the best luck with Interstate and bad luck with Fleet Farm batteries, but I've never tried them.

25. Just bought a new one today from O'Reilly. The last one I bought from them lasted 7-8 years. Paid 67.00 with my discount. No tax in Ore.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Would recommend Optima, as it has 900+CCA's, but is not as reliable as it once was. A lot has been said about the batteries being worse since Mexico started building them. Before that they were awsome, had one for over 12 years and could crank and crank. They fit in any car too! Unlike typical 1 and 2 sizes that will not fit in my 54 Lincoln Capri, which takes a 2N.

27. i only run optima. never used a 6 volt of theirs. but after 7 12 volts (all used in differnt things, not replacing a bad one or anything) thats all i will buy

gona buy another one here soon!

28. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

I use the optima in my Packard that only gets driven about three times a year on average. It always has enough juice to get it started even after sitting six to eight months. The battery is four years old now and still strong.

29. likes ihs

likes ihs
    from petaluma

I changed several of my 6 volts to optima's. more cca's and seem to be lasting a lot longer.

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg