Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dick L

Dick L

Incoming!!:eek:

2. easter

easter

Don't send me hate messages - I just wanted you to see something - this is Jason Cox's car and his team is very proud of the fact that everything is hand lettered or air brushed. The only things that aren't are the sponsor decals. The numbers, names, stripes, all by hand - even pin striping on the tail and hood. You can just make out the pin striping on the hood in this pic. He is also one of the guys that said he likes the looks of his car much better without the wings.

[​IMG]

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Very nicely done.. Thanks for sharing! Love seeing REAL HAND LETTERING on new race cars.

J Shaw

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey guys! Check out Ryans post when you type in www.jalopyjournal.com I sent those pics to him first cause I thought the entire gear head community needed to see them. I'll post them here next week and we can discuss. They are AMAZING.

5. Dick L

Dick L

This is just how I remember it. Everything about those photo's is fantastic. Even the background objects and the wet ground are accurate. WOW :rolleyes: What an era it was!

6. gearguy

gearguy

Will open trailers become collectibles? If so I'm ahead of the curve one once! We're restoring a 1970's vintage open trailer this spring for the purpose of transporting our OT midget to the events. People along the road really notice the race car.

I often post about my good friend, ace restorer Gregg Kishline. He build a scale replica of a double decker Watson dolly wheel trailer to carry his restored quarter midgets. He used his full size dolly wheel trailer for the measurements. That big trailer has more history than all the roadster replicas combined. Still tows great too, even behind his 1965 Rambler Classic [6 cylinder motor of which was his Grandpa Floyd Kishline's last project as chief engineer at AMC].

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

8. easter

easter

Make sure you "click" on the first picture - it should go full screen and you can then use the arrow at the right to move through the shots. Incredible photos.

9. 4everblue

4everblue

Seeing a modern race car with hand lettering is a nice change of pace. Seeing a restored vintage race car with vinyl stickers is somewhere between sacrilegious and nauseating.

10. I crew on a modern winged sprinter. I would bet if you ask most of the car owners, they would prefer hand work. But vinyl is more practical. We can tear up a wing, and repair it,apply new graphics, and be back racing before the painter can get to us.
    Not our first choice, but for dirt track, as opposed to drag racing, vinyl is way easier.
    Thanks, Mike

11. easter

easter

I know what you mean. It's like an old woman wearing belly button jewelery.

12. easter

easter

I understand this, too. Nobody is down grading vinyl lettering, it's just that they really appreciate the old style. I use a circular saw every day. But, now and then I use an old hand saw and I appreciate the history of it. Back "in the day" vinyl lettering wasn't available or everybody might have used it. Also, back "in the day" sprint cars weren't as disposable as they are now. I've seen some cars that out lasted more than one driver's career. Just like home construction: houses used to be passed down through the generations of family, but not anymore. It's a shame that one of the biggest concerns in racing is money. Because that's not the reason we got into racing. I love all sprint cars old and new, but man I long for a full size tail and a round nose.

13. Dick L

Dick L

I agree, in my opinion it's the full size tail that defines a sprint car.

14. Hey Easter
    Will this do.

Attached Files:

15. 4everblue

4everblue

I used to letter a ton of sprint cars back in the day and I understand the practical standpoint completely. My gripe is reading an in depth article on someone who has restored a vintage race car and how they drove halfway across the country to get the "proper" axle, connecting rods or what ever and then slap stickers on the car:eek: Heck, I saw an open wheel car a few months back somewhere that had fake gold leaf stickers on it:( Guys, if you need a good lettering artist and don't know of one in your area put a post on this thread and I will help you find one.....they are out there!

16. easter

easter

Pretty car. Doesn't look very old. Check out the size of that right rear. We could have made (4) tires out of that in the '60's! Thanks.

17. R B B......This works for me...............slap on a set of Halibrands and this could lead somewhere....!!!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  18. Racer12

Racer12

Somewhat OT but the Action Track opens today! MSCS/KISS sprints and UMP mods. Can't wait, new dirt too!

Bob

19. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last Sep at Hurtubise Classic.
    Link to photo album:
    (All photos by Randall Cook-indyrjc-Randal and Mac Miller ran the car for me on its Mid-West swing last Summer-9 events at 9 different tracks in five states; thanks guys!)
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Terre Haute Sep 10 2011/?start=all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. TommyA19

TommyA19

A reminder to all of those in the Northeast:

22nd Vintage Racing Celebration
    Thursday, May 10 - Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:00am-6:00pm
    Oval - 5/10, 5/11; Road Course - 5/12, 5/13
    The Vintage Racing Celebration recognizes the roots of auto racing in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">New England</st1:place>. The four-day event features some of the racing community's earlier car models.
    The event kicks off with two days of oval racing on Thursday, May 10, and Friday, May 11. The oval days will feature midget, sprint, champ, Indy, modified and stock cars that will put on an exhibition of vintage racing.
    On the weekend, the track will be reconfigured to the 1.6-mile road course for May 12-13. Several associations will invade the track for racing that will include formula and sports cars, as well as motorcycles.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Also: On Sunday of the Labor Day weekend, another &#8220;Racing Expo&#8221; is scheduled for Hinchliffe Stadium, in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Paterson</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">N.J.</st1:State></st1:place> Last years expo was hurricaned out, if you recall.<o:p></o:p>

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

On the CHAMP CAR TRAILER pics that was "showcased" on the Jalopy journal..

If you check out picture #24, of the White #98 car on the trailer.. Those of you who have been around this thread for a while will recognize a familiar item!!

About Three years ago I stumbled upon a Steel box lettered up "Agajanian Enterprises #98" I posted pics of it here. (Don't remeber the post number :rolleyes:)

Anyways.. Check it out! It's sitting on the trailer next to the car.

It's not a box "like" it.. IT'S THE SAME BOX!!!

Very cool to see it in it's natural setting!

Enjoy.

Then, and now..

J Shaw

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  22. Buildy

Buildy

As can be seen,it was already old and worn in that 1960s shot. This is a piece from the 50s glory days of Aggie. Not that he didn`t have glory days in the 60s as well,mind you.

23. easter

easter

It's hard to believe that box is still in existance. It looks identical to the photo. You'd think it would have at least been repainted by someone. Very cool find and now with the photo - even cooler. You were supposed to have that box.

24. Ron67

Ron67

Great story on the Agajanian box! Now, can someone explain the steering link setup on the 98 car with the two links instead of a single link setup?

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I can't explain it but also am curious.

Obviously the linkage is reversing the motion of the steering gear on the left side of the car but is also creating an inverse mechanical (dis)advantage as set up, while obtaining a drag link parallel to the horizontal axis of the car.

Perhaps there is a power assist of some kind or a Gorilla to drive it.

26. Buildy

Buildy

Vuky II wasn`t a gorilla,so I`m more inclined to believe the power assist theory.

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Man, Vuky is gonna be pissed, calling him a Gorilla!:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I would have to guess that it had a steering box with a sector shaft that ran from one side to the other and could be changed from a dirt to asphalt setup without changing out the box. Having said that, Aggie could afford a room full of steering box's so...... :confused:

28. Looks to me like a right hand box, flipped and setup to mount lower on the spindle and in a way to fix a 'bump steer' issue, while keeping the same steering ratio 'feel' and speed up the steering ratio itself- instead of using a longer pitman arm. Most likely a trial and error thing, that got tossed pretty soon.

Springer fronts need clearance sometimes, but then to you guys, that should already be obvious. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  29. Power assist boxes were in use already at the time. But not considered entirely reliable.