Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. saychz316

saychz316

2. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

filed down all marks left by the tabs removal.

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good , I'm building mine in a top secret location also :D, Well sorta I'm in the middle of nowhere, mailman turns around at my driveway, Nice and private:cool: Talk to you later Tim BTW I talked to my buddy He's not sure what he was going to do with the stuff

4. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

thanks for checking. I'll be here when he's ready!!

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You probably know this already, but make sure you put some straight edges on the bearing flanges to make sure they havent toed-in from welding the brackets on.

6. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Yeah we did that and its all good and straight. Thanks Bruce!

7. riceman

riceman

Still pickin fly shit out of the pepper Bruce ! You guys will find that the "Fudge Factor" may have to do......check your shorts and your wallets. Great stuff !

8. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

How serious are we about this car? Serious enough to have Mr C himself have us at his house. We talked about the car, looked at some cool shit and had a few beers. He and his wife are the best thing ever. That helmet you see is the one from his blown Chrysler SPE car. The helmet for this car was getting relined. Those are the gloves he used to drive this car with. He still jas the suit too. Gary and Marie treated us like family for the one night we went go see them. oh yeah...that's his original filler mask. Gary and Marie really have become good friends.

Attached Files:

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Pretty cool , Is gary ready to hop back in the seat again?

10. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

2 words....Hell yeah.
    He's so looking forward to this. Were doing all We can to get this ready. This is our first dragster restoration and means more than anything right now. When you see this thing you're gonna shit.

11. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

holy crap that's bitchin!!!

12. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Pushbar tacked in and steering box is centered up...I love this stuff.

Attached Files:

13. Bitchen! Subscribed.

14. One Finger John

One Finger John

Although new pipes would be nice, how is the condition of the original frame? Cackel o.k. or competition o.k.?

15. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

The original tubing is very much intact and shows no signs of perforation. The chassis was originally built with .049" wall 1.5 inch and 1.25 inch chromoly and TIG welded back in '65. This chassis will be cackle only...no draggin this baby. There is one set of .750 inch tubes up in front of the motor that need repair from what appears to be shoddy stick welding but it's nothing structural and the other is a blowout form TIG welding pressure on a downtube on the drivers left. That stays and adds original build character This was sitting in the high desert for a lot of years. The original upholstery was in real real good shape too for the amount of time its been sitting.

16. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Tacked the master and brake lever in. After looking at some pics, this seems to be one option for mounting these parts. The car originally used a model a park brake lever for the "sure chute" system that was pretty neat according to Frank ,the original crew chief.

Attached Files:

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good Robert , So are you looking for a Model A park brake lever to duplicate what was there? Tim Jones

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have no clue why I missed this...awesome restoration and one of my favorites.

19. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I have the Model A lever on it now...It was purchased a while back and works just so nicley :0
    Thanks for keepin up on this Tim..Glad you're back in action!

20. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for checking it out...If all goes well it should be at the Hot Rod Reunion this year with Gary "Mr. C" Cochran behind the wheel for its inaugural push start.

21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Spent some time today with some machined pucks an alignment bar and some keystone lights....engine and rear are lined up ready to rock this shit. If i win the lottery I'm doing this all day every day. History can either be made or recreated...thank god were preserving it.

Attached Files:

22. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Fitting shit together...

Attached Files:

23. This is really awesome....Keep it up!!!!!!

24. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Gracias Muchacho! More to come soon.

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Reworking my 62 gmc to hopefully push the car down the track. I'm hoping she'll be ready or at least presentable by that time...

Attached Files:

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

The truck and car will look great together

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Dude this is bitchin...

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

This is peanut my dog...well my girls dog but we've been together for 10 years so she's mine too. Love this dog and love my life. Take a second to really appreciate those that think you're king. Be everything your dog thinks you are.

Attached Files:

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Ok so we were a little buzzed last night when I posted this...but I just didn't have anything on the car to put on as I was staring at it. Give me a couple days and I'll add something cool...

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Getting front suspension set up. I machined bungs for the radius rods and steering. Ran out of argon for the TIG and the bungs we did get done have distorted threads so that was a couple hours and $100 in the trash. Looks like plan B is coming into play.

Attached Files: