Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlisle 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JCW2110, Mar 31, 2012.

1. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

been going for years now and each year as i pull in i look to see if they have removed the hill , im willing to bet its still there, just the same its still areal good time

2. swilly572

swilly572

7 of us from Mass will be making our bi-annual trip, hope we don't have any hurricanes blow through again !

3. jbh

jbh

We'll be there I 73-75, same spots since it started in 1976 with 50s-60s Chevy parts. Grab a bottle of water, stash your purchases, say hi. Jay
    jayhammondchevyparts.com

4. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Mmmm,Straub....I'm bringing steaks and watching Doris! What was that chick's name in "Lethal Weapons?"

5. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

That was "deadly weapons" Doris Wishman...See you saturday....there goes the neighborhood !!!

6. Flop

Flop

thinking of stopping by on saturday !

7. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

anybody know of any short-cuts to get in there from the turnpike? took us almost 2 hrs to find a place to park last year on fryday about 11am

8. 1949*john

1949*john

I've been going sense 83 , remember the mini tornado ? lifted tents and umbrellas 100 ft in the air !

then the year we had 4in of slush ?

but i have never come home with out a sun burn .

9. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Don't think this will help Dansled as I don;t know street names. We stay at the Super 8 on 11 north of the pike, across the street from the Middlesex Diner. When we leave in the morning to go to the fairgrounds we jump on 81 south for 2 exits and get off, go south into town then east to reach the fairgrounds rather than just following Rt11 South (and all the off the pike traffic) It brings us out at the Hess gas station just 2 blocks north of the fairgrounds in about 20 minutes...beats an hour in traffic

10. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Hey Raunculus....I'm hopefully bringing those Red shoe skates for you to take home and pinstripe

11. Remember "Lake Carlisle" last year where some cars at the bottom of the corral were over their rocker panels in water. Or a few years ago with the big lightning strike on the grounds. Or how about the "shooting" on the grounds about 15-20 years ago. Definitely a lot of interesting memories when you go there that many years. All good though! :cool:

12. navypainter

navypainter

Shooting? Good to know that I'm legal to carry in pa. I'll be there on Thursday hunting parts for my 28 sport coupe. Can't wait!

13. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Ya know what they say...."you can find it at Carlisle"....even if it is a bullet...Although I have to admit that bad guy had a good idea hiding out among 5000 other vendors. Who would have thought someone would have recognized him from a hold up 2 states away...didn't he hold up a convenience store in VA or someplace a few hundred miles away on his way to set up at Carlisle and then someone walking around recognized him and his truck from the hold up? Then when this witness called the cops they "eased in" trying to take him by surprise but he decided to shoot it out? Don;t recall the whole story...when was that 2004 or so?

14. Oh I think it was a lot longer than that. That was quite a while ago, like I said I think it was 15 to 20 years ago. Time flies when yer havin' fun! :D

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Then there was the year the FBI collared a perp on the Top Wanted list as they knew he was an auto-enthusiast.
    He walked in the gate,they "presented him with a pair of bracelets" and walked him out real quick.
    Real neat and quiet and covert!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  16. I'll be there on Friday Can't Wait!!!!

17. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

There have been some strange things go on there. Few years ago I heard a vendor died while sleeping in the back of his capped truck, found a propane heater still on and they determined he died of carbon monoxide poisioning.

The waves maybe surfable "Lake Carlisle" this year too. it's been raining for 2 days up there and supposed to continue through Thursday. Glad I am on the top of "Cardiac Hill" as it sure can get swampy down in the flats

18. I'll be there vending in II 29 Wed, Thurs and Friday - stop by and say hey ....

19. Well that's one good thing about being up there... it's high & dry!

20. playtag

playtag

Just got back from taking aload up to Carlisle.Bring your mud boots!I was at vendor services and a guy came asking if they had a tractor to pulled out a stuck car! Let the fun begin!The story mentioned above about the guy shooting it out happened about 20 years ago.He started throwing car parts at the cops and one of them put a bullet in him after repeated orders to get on the ground he was shot.I actually think he had broke into a home and killed two people and robbed the place on his way there.Happy hunting!

21. If memory serves me he had actually blugeoned (spelling?) two people to death before coming to Carlisle (I actually may still have the article from the local paper the next day), selling parts out of what was an old Hertz or whatever rental truck. I was about 2-3 aisles away when I heard the shots. Pretty lucky no one else was killed although I kind of remember a cop getting hit but not seriously. I got there just a few minutes or more after the smoke cleared and the guy was on the ground, covered up.

According to the article, he was given ample opportunity to give himself up as he was holed up in the van, helicopter circling o-head, stuff was thrown out of the van and he actually fired first as he jumped out of the van to try and escape into the crowd they figured and then he was taken down.

22. kdorfner

kdorfner

I'm there now with Nostalgic Air Parts. Had to go to Wally World for some warm
    clothes and a pair of water proof boots. Left Charlotte in the rain and it's still
    raining. We're in the manufacturers midway row f-125-128 and the ground is real
    soggy.

23. Soggy!?!?

That area is where they put the "quick sink" straw! :D

24. jbh

jbh

RayMay, o/t but in the 70s, I drove the twin to your 56 to work every day. Different colors, of course. It had been the shop truck for Northeast A/B here in Wilmington, DEL. Cool car, miss it. Thanks for the memorys. Jay

25. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

I'll be there on saturday to spend more money. I guess I'll take my hip wadders for the midway and over by gate 7. Last year was uggggly. I hope to meet and see some of the Hamb members there.

26. 1oldrat

1oldrat

My dad,my son ,and I will be there Friday,looking for parts mainly some 67 442 stuff,but always looking for a deal.Just did three days at the Auto Fair.I like it down there,but I like Carlisle too

27. 1oldrat

1oldrat

The guy that got shot killed two ederly people at their home in Bethel Pa,on his way to Carlisle.He robbed them and killed them,I think it was e pretty brutual killing,He got what he deserved.

28. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

A friend and I are heading that way Thursday and hitting the swap all day Friday.
    It's been a few years since I've been. So I'm ready for some walking. Maybe it will dry up a little in the next few days.:D

29. Well I'm all loaded up, my truck... not me!

I found a few interesting goodies while digging through my shit.

I found an old Zoom 9" Nodular case that looks as though it's N.O.S., an old Stewart-Warner electric fuel pump, a box of old hub caps (not wheel covers), some glass headlamp lenses and other stuff.

Stop by and take a break! I'm at NH36 & NH37

If ya' get there quick enough there may be some beer left!

30. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

There were so many versions of that shooting I didn;t know what to believe...although what you said sounds correct. I can believe soggy it's been raining on and off all week.
    Will have some hamb members walking in Saturday. I'll have a banner up on my NJ spaces. Leav etomorrow afternoon....best wishes to all vendors on selling and all buyers on fullfilling their needs. See you there, Moonlight Movies spaces NJ17-19 BigBob55 ....Holy cow Waddayacare...we're almost neighbors !!