Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Larry Watson's Personal Photo Collection

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Personally I think we really owe a lot to Larry Watson for taking so many fine pictures. The amount of work that went through his shop is amazing. As the years pass, younger guys can get a perspective of the style and color of this era.

2. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Rik, your thread is really the MOST outstanding thread on the HAMB to me.
    You are right in thinking that the custom car enthusiasm on the HAMB has waned.
    The focus here seems to be more and more narrowed down, and very closed minded.
    Creativity was what Larry Watson was all about!
    The social group "Larry Watson Fans" hasn't had any contributions posted in the last nine months, that's with 148 members. So I understand your concerns about custom car interest on the HAMB.
    Please keep the pictures coming, as you are keeping the flame alive.

Here is the "Larry Watson Fans" social group link for anyone interested:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=204

[​IMG]

3. please keep posting i wasnt born until 70 many of these awesome cars are brand new to me love em especailly the squarebirds that watson did

i figured the pics do all the talking in this thread

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Rik,

Please keep them coming. I think most of us are just trying to absorb the scope and beauty of Larry's work ... it's hard to think of an appropriate response to it all.

Your research and effort in posting your work is greatly appreciated by most of us here on the HAMB. Thank you.

5. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Rik,
    Please them coming! I live for customs and look forward to your postings.
    Lots of custom-lovers are still on the HAMB and dig these photos.

6. Please Rik keep them coming! It is one of the few threads on the HAMB that I routinely check for updates. Thanks for all that you do!

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

just went through the whole thread again Rik..Thanks again for all you do!!!

8. zep058

zep058

I have had the same feeling lately. This is one I check regularly, I just should be more vocal so you see we are out here watching!

Don't Stop!

9. VonWegener

VonWegener

Rik - we all appreciate what you do. Your post are the only thing close to a time machine that we got. Please keep the pics coming. I really enjoy the sports cars and motorcycle pics. If you have any more please don't be shy to post them!
    Thank You
    Mike

10. Rik, keep them coming, there's probably more of us than you know. And thank you.

11. This thread gave me an appreciation of Larry and I've been following since way back.
    Thanks Rik

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Please don't stop. I love customs. I like my customs like I like my wings...mild. And I love Larry Watson's use of color. It's a big inspiration for me.

13. brad2v

brad2v

Another vote Rik, I follow this one closely, and again, like many, am pretty young (born in '71) to have seen much of his amazing work, so I have little insight to offer. So I keep my mouth shut, but I sincerely appreciate your efforts here.

14. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

You hit the nail right on the head. I was born in 85 so threads like these are one of the few connections to that era of customizing i have.

15. We're here Rik.. We're here - just - speechless is all. :eek:

Thanks for all your postings.

-Dave

16. Don's 55

Don's 55

Please keep posting the pics and the details of Larry's work.
    This is by far my favorite thing to look for when I cruise the HAMB

17. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

^^^^^ X's 20

18. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Rik,

With support like this, you have to continue. It will be a sad day if you don't.

Thanks for your efforts.

19. Rikster

Rikster

Well I'm really happy that post like this still are enjoyed on here.

I was getting a bit frustrated to spend quite a bit of time on these, and see them disappear to page 10 in no time.
    I did not stop doing them.. new photos where still added to my own website and on face book. But now I know there are still a lot of people who enjoy these really amazing photos from the Larry Watson Personal Collection I will continue to post them here as well.

There are still loads more to go. Larry' work and collection are amazing.

I have shown a side view of This Watson painted E-Type some time ago. Here is the back of the car done in deep candy blue on the bottom and metalflake pale blue with cob webbing on the top portion of this Jaguar.

[​IMG]

And when Larry was at the Firestone Blvd shop in Downey he painted this E-Type in a wonderful candy red.

[​IMG]

‎1956 Larry Watson's 1950 Chevy "Heartless" show quality trunk close up photo. Larry did the trunk for this car in 1956, and as far as I know never changed it when the car was transferred over time. The strange thing is that the trunk it self was not detailed or upholstered while apparently Larry paid a lot of attention to the rest of the trunk details. Notice that the car had Buick taillights in this version.

[​IMG]

There is something about the colors on those old Kodachrome photos. Its amazing that the colors on them are still so brilliant after 50 plus years, and if you blow up the photo the detail on them is just unbelievable. In this case of the Larry Watson painted 1957 Pontiac of Jack Van Tassel the blue colors really jump at you. The way the white outline on the Watson Letter is blue on the bottom and yellow on the top… no digital modern camera can capture a car like this. I love this low angle photo of the Jack's Pontiac taken in front of Larry's Rosecrans Blvd shop in 1959.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  20. Thankyou Rik.....this is the best post ever on the HAMB......

21. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Rik
    Don't get caught up on what page the thread is on, I read it all the time but don't post on it as I don't have any real value to add. I ahve it marked as a favorite so I know when you update it, it doesn't matter to me what page it is on. You do great work here and I really appreciate you spending the time and great effort on sharing these with us.

22. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Rik, when you post on here, watch the view counts. You'll see that there is a Lot of interest.

23. I really look forward to your additions to this post. I don't think there is lack of interest, it just goes out of sight and gets lost. I will add a post whenever I remember and we can keep it up on the top by each person that is interested making a post.
    What a great resource for us all with the different color combinations. I am still astounded by the amount of work put out by Larry Watson and his crew.
    Keep up the good work.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Rik, Here is the one you didn't see coming.... Hell yes keep posting!!! You and I have had words at one point about my feelings for customs, that's history. But you hooked me on this thread with the custom bike picts, and even though I have never been much of a custom guy, Larry Watson in general Rocked!!! In my opinion Watson was more than just a killer painter, but had the whole thing down including the lifestyle and artistry. These pictures in a sense have been about allot more than just customs, they have been about what was happening at a very unique time. By all means, if you have more custom bike pictures, post them too. Please! Thank you very much for your efforts here!
    Chip Quinn

25. druggas

druggas

Thanks for posting this. I lived pretty close to the Firestone shop, and it was always exciting to see what car was in the shop's window.

Shops like these, are what makes America great!

26. One thing I noticed is the pearls seem to be stronger in these photos than what is available today. I never did much pearl but I do remember that local club member bought a container and that stuff really stunk.

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Please, Please, Please, keep posting on this thread Rik!
    So many Watson creations from his personal collection for the world to see.
    Keep up your incredible contributions.
    Thanks,

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

As a kid growing up in SoCal , I can remember going to the Tridents car show and it seemed as though every bitchin car there had a Watson paint job . Fast forward 40 years , and I'm at Pete Santinis shop talking about a project he's working on , when Pete asks me , " Do you know Larry Watson?". I tell him that although I've never met him , I've always been an admirer of his work. Pete says , to come in the office and I'll introduce you . Larry Watson was one of the nicest guys , we had a great time talking about differant paint styles and techniques throughout the years . The Larry Watson that I met that day was a very humble , knowledgeable and complimentry man who was a pleasure to get to know . RIP

29. This is one of the best threads on here for sure!!......... no drama just positive responses to the history of custom car style.....through the eyes of Larry watson. Personally Ive always had a thing for these types of custom cars....When I was 11 years old I was given a box of old car magazines and in it was the 1959 Custom Cars Annual with Watons bird on the cover......it made an impression on me !......and I never really new the scope of the rest of his work until now .....thanks!

30. VonWegener

VonWegener

Its not just the cars its the background too. I love checking out what changes in the trailer park across the street:) Its the whole world that Larry existed in and formed to his liking. I am fortunate to have known Larry and talked with him about his multitude of interests. How he loved classic modern homes, that he nearly bought a Lautner home on Mulholland and his designs for a kinda Chemosphere in the desert. Larry was both a child of the late fifties and sixties culture and creator of it also.
    Please keep those pictures coming Rik!!!!