Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster clutch question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Getting my vintage dragster together I have two clutch options a standard aluminium flywheel light pressure plate and cintered iron disk 10.5/11in or a automatic flywheel small triple disk set up ,quartermaster. and can get my hands on a duel disk . What do you guys suggest. The car has a short saginaw three speed and a lakewood bell.

2. Ricci32

Ricci32

3. Ricci32

Ricci32

4. ValerSterling

ValerSterling
    from new york

bump.............
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ricci32:
    You need to post more information about the car/engine combo to make a guess on the clutch.
    Matt

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

In general the triple small disc set-up is for roundy round rolling start type of racing and you would fry the discs after a few short launches, you want the larger duel disc for leverage, slip control heat dissapation.

7. Ricci32

Ricci32

Thanks !!!!!!

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Agree. With modern, sticky tires, you're going to need a slipper style clutch, wheelie bars, and some wheel base. Otherwise, it'll be "reaching for the sky". Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Here is some general info:

With a powerful high RPM engine there is a conflict. While a large diameter clutch helps provide capacity, it's can't tolerate the RPMs. Best option is two or more(as needed) smaller diameter discs. That provides plenty of torque capacity without the RPM limitations. Surprisingly, the rotationasl inertia of the smaller multiple discs is usually less than one big disc.

As was said, and depending on your car, you may need a slipper clutch(or plan on doing old time smoking tire runs).

Aluminum flywheels don't tolerate high heat as well as steel ones. If you go with a slider clutch that needs to be considered.

10. Ricci32

Ricci32

the car has a 550hp small block on alky it is a leftover circle track motor with dyno time only. the car is a kent fuller style 120 125 inch car three speed stick car im running a shortened saginaw three speed. the car is for nostalgia / vintage events looking to go 10 sec. the purpose of the build is to use upthe leftovers in my shop and have some fun. the chassis will cert 7.50 and slower five piont cage chrome moly construction 4.86 rear 31inch tires.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ricci 32,
    You need to make provisions for some weight as far up front as possible. With 550 hp, 10 seconds should be easy to do. I agree with those above about a 2 disc slider clutch, however a friend of mine used a single Ram disc and a light but progressive pressure plate for some positive results back in the 70's. He ran this combination in a 100" wb Altered.

12. DrOlds442w30

DrOlds442w30
    BANNED

If you have a fully adjustable PP the big unit with the sintered iron disc should work well. The aluminum flywheel should have a steel heat shield in it and will work fine. You need to start around 10 to 12 grams of counter weight to start and maybe 1 to 2 turns on each base screw depending on the range of base pressure. (Hopefully base is 200 to 300 lbs with no turns in the screws.) It will take some testing to get it close. The best way to test it is to just drive along in third gear about 35 mph and floor it. The result should be similar to an automatic with a high stall convertor and flash up and lockup. Happy testing.