Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with vacuum advance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

So I put a new carb (rebuilt, not new new) on the Packard, and after doing so the vacuum advance doesn't work. I don't know if the two are related or just coincidence... I have good vacuum in the line goin to the distributor (I don't have a gauge, but can feel it sucking with my thumb). What steps do I take to find the culprit? My distributor is a stock Delco for '53 Packard 327. I can go take any pics that might be needed.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Get or borrow a mityvac to use. Pull the dist. cap hook up the hand pump and see what happens when you pump it. If the plate doesn't advance and the problem is not obvious then send it to GMCBUBBA to be repaired.

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If you don't have MytyVac, use a clean piece of plastic tube and your mouth.
    If you can't suck up a vacuum then the diaphram in the advance unit has broken.
    If you can get a no leak vacuum but the advance won't move then the mechanism is siezed up.
    Either way it will need replacement.
    If the advance unit works fine with you sucking on it, but won't work when hooked into engine vacuum then you likely have a leak in the line.

4. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

I know that you said nothing else was done but carb, but double check that the points and condenser retaining screws are the correct length and not binding the points plate solid.(maybe it hasn't been working for a while)

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the help!! I have not messed with it since reading this, but in the mean time I found an extra distributor in the box of parts that came with the car. It's even got dual points!!! When I move the advance I can hear the diaphragm sucking and blowing. I'm assuming that's a good sign? Also, do I need a different coil or anything to run the dual point setup?

6. Another method would be to move the mounting plate with a screwdriver and put your finger over the vacuum advance hose nipple. If the plate doesn't move, the canister is good.

7. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Update!!! I tested the vac advance by sucking on the tube. Moves as it should. But my shop teacher pointed out that the mechanical advance seems really loose, and may be my problem. Why the huge jump in timing tho? What would've caused it? It moved 7-8 degrees, and now just to set it to 6 degrees BTDC I have to turn the dizzy as far as it will go....