Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

This has more to do with used parts, and not so much as entire cars, but when someone says it has a "nice patina..." and the picture shows some unidentifiable rust-laden corroded hunk of crap that looks like it was pulled from the bottom of the Dead Sea. No, sir, that is just RUST, NOT patina.

Here are a few more of my peeves...
    "197(?) Chevy Bla Bla Bla, runs and drives, outterior in ok shape, needs interior work. New $5000 stereo system, subs in trunk, flip-down LCD screens, new 24" rims and tires, over 10k invested, asking $8000 OBO..." Are you f'cking KIDDING me? You were dumb enough to blow that much on your POS rust bucket, and now you want someone else to recoup you for your stupidity? And what the HELL is an outterior?!? NEXT...

People who are trying to sell ANYTHING with the Police package on it for substantially more than what the regular model is going for, since it is a retired Police cruiser (usually bought at auction). Yes, the Interceptor is quite impressive. But you're trying to sell me a retired Police cruiser. Do you have ANY idea how much abuse a Police cruiser takes?!? That's the LAST car in the world I'd buy! They beat the SNOT out of a cruiser because they HAVE TO. It's part of the job requirement. If I told you I beat the snot out of MY daily driver, on a daily basis, and then wanted twice as much for it because I reworked the engine to go fast enough to allow me to beat the afore mentioned snot out of it right around 300,000 miles ago, I would hope you would donkey-punch me right in the forehead.

People who are selling a car and then misspell the name of the car throughout the listing. "Camero" just makes me cringe every time I see it. Holy shit, dude... The Camaro was probably one of the biggest selling GM models of all time, and I'll bet anything it's written somewhere on the frigging car. You wanna check that out before you go advertising your intelligence repeatedly throughout your ad, and then wonder why it isn't selling? It's because NOBODY IS DOING A SEARCH FOR A CAMERO. If you're really looking for a good deal on a Camaro, get on CL and put CAMERO in the search bar. You'll find Camaros for next to nothing because the owner thinks it's the price that's keeping people from calling about it, so they've come down a little bit each week for the past six months. If you really want a good chuckle, go to www.AllOfCraigs.com and do the same thing. You won't believe how many people across the country think Chevy made the CAMERO.

"Must sale", "For sell", "Good conditions"... If you were selling a sailboat, yes, must sail. But even then, it's spelled wrong in that instance. These are usually the same people who are "saleing due to..." How about 'must sell'. You can't list something "for sell", either. It just doesn't make sense, and my eyes start to bleed and I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see it. Same with "bla bla bla in good conditions..."

Finally, "or best offer"... How the HELL am I supposed to know what the guy before me offered you? Do I really think you're going to tell me your asking price was $3000 OBO, but the guy before me offered you $500? SHIT NO! Because that would mean that all I've got to offer you is $600 and viola... I've made the best offer you've had, right? You're going to tell me you turned down an offer for $2750 just this afternoon. At which point I'm going to tell you you're a dumb-ass, and you might want to track down the idiot who offered you that much for your... whatever. So why not just SAY wtf you WANT for the damned thing so we can quit playing games?!? OBO doesn't mean crap to me.

Sorry this turned into a rant...
    As you were.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. ^^^ I feel your pain! ^^^:D

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Is that why nobody seems to understand what OBO means these days? It's generally meant as you can make YOUR best offer and see if the seller is interested...

I put "open to offers" on some of the stuff I am selling and some idiot will always offer 1% of the asking price and then get mad that I won't take it... it's open to your offers asshat, not I will take the first thing offered to me no matter what.

I just tell them to get back in their Comero and look for a more desperate person who must sail it for anything. ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

"recently rebuilt"

5. The " for sell/ must sale" mix up is reaching epidemic proportions. I see that printed more and more often. There can't be that many stu........ Oh wait, yes there can.

6. 95 % complete! With an average of 14,000 parts in a car, that leaves about 700 parts missing. (your vehicle may have more or less)

7. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I always cringe when I hear something referred to as high octane. As if high octane fuel is some sort of super powered stuff like nitro methane, and putting the "good stuff" in your car makes it go faster. Trying to explain octane ratings to such folks results in a deer in the headlights stare.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe mentioned already, here are a few. Lady driven. All the hard work is done.
    3/4 race cam :rolleyes:

9. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Barrett-Jackson = this car has all the correct DNA.

10. http://www.harveycrane.com/secrets7.htm

The story of the 3/4 race cam. Maybe ?

11. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

"rare" when missused irritates and annoys me. yes there is such thing as a truley rare car or piece, but not every old car and part is rare or scarce. in most cases of the seller, Rare= Gold$$$$ . and is usually not the case:rolleyes:

12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

So true.

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

"stunning" means the car is junk dressed up to deceive...

15. Oh how true. Rare does not always equal desirable - leprosy is rare.

16. Yep, I like when dumb people but Super or Hi Test in their lo-po engines thinking it will give them more power. Often it gives them less. Of course the gas companies don't market their fuel to stop you from spending more needlessly.

17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

And that is a great point, rare does not equal desirable or valuable, my 46 ford glass-top bus is rare, it was one of 44 built and is the only known survivour, so it's rarer then a Duesenburg J, but is it worth anywhere near what a Duesey is? Hell no!

[​IMG]

18. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

It is a very good and true rant.

19. ev88f

ev88f

saw a craigslist ad the other day; "motor runs great, I have redlined it for years. Currently needs rebuild. asking 600, i have 1000 in the speakers."

20. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Still not as bad as the one I saw last year that said it was appraised at $16,000 and they were asking close to $20,000... WTF?

21. grazy

grazy

I have found that a very fine line exists between rare and undesirable. Maybe none exist because nobody wanted them when new . Odd combinations of motor and car or notorious for a common expensive to fix issue. All the used became parts cars or demo contestants. A rare option was maybe a dumb idea or an unsuccessful venture maybe it was problematic . The first guys to have them bitched so bad nobody else ordered it with that option or had one built that way . Then the dealer offers his sales guys spiffs to get them out of here . And he wont order another unless someone wants or asks for another one built that way.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Wow, now there's something you don't see every day! I wonder why they only made 44 of them! I think that's wicked-cool! Other than the bird shit factor...

23. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thank you. Sometimes I just get going and forget to stop. It sucks having a hyper-active brain that functions best in the wee hours of the morning...

24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I had this sign in my truck at LSRU last week as a joke. It was more for general information, but the first few lines are kinda funny.

[​IMG]

25. carnut341

carnut341

Barn find, ran when parked 20 years ago, lost title but easy for you to get new one!!!!!!

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My old friend woulda have discribed his engine like; Big block 318, built to the hilt with a elderblock hi riser center head, full race cam, dual point mowery distribiter, plastigage on all the bearings (he thought you left it in) and a new holly double pump (fuel pump) , layin beside the chimley under the chigger bushes :D

27. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Haha, my wife asked me how to spell "Camaro" last night, I told her she had one shot and if there was an "e" anywhere we'd be divorcing. :p

"New" parts and the ad goes on to list things like plug wires, distributor cap, air cleaner, carburetor, etc...which all WAS new to the vehicle at one point, maybe in 1993. Then usually at the end of the list of all of the "new" parts is "doesn't run, must bring a trailer".

28. U-235

U-235

[Ready for restoration]....? or

75K invested sell 30K (wasn't much of an investment was it..?)

29. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

They only made 44 because that's all they needed... LOL
    They were built for the icefields and other tours in Banff and area in Alberta.

I have a whole lot of history and tons of photos Here.

Bird shit costs extra.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

300 unrelated keywords on a two-line ad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.