Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy and a new ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slipped Wrench, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

I recently worked a deal on this '28 model A and I just can't wait to have the chance to go pick it up. It's a roller with a SBC and I'm fine with that. I've never "built" a car, but I've built enough crap that this shouldn't be too bad of a challenge.

I've been reading and searching the forums here for the past week or so, so I think just the information on the forum is a large enough resource to answer any questions that may come up during the build. I've been poring over the cowl steering tech articles (especially those with the Mopar boxes) as well as searching through other builds for ideas to finish the car.

Anyway, here's a few pics. Hope I don't jinx myself by posting these before I pick it up. As soon as I get back home with it I'll become an alliance member. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a good starter!!

I like it, I wont pick on whats wrong as it is only a starter and I'm sure if you stick around for long enough you'll soon come to see what you gotta do to rectify a few things.

Good luck and enjoy your build

Aaron

3. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Shoot - point it out, man.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

4. Start posting when you start on it, the know it alls will tell you how to make your car so it suits them.

5. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Eh, I'm not worried about that, really. But...I am smart enough to know that this car will be a learning experience and there will be times I'll need to ask for and listen to advice.

One of those things.

6. 3spd

3spd

Here is a bad Photoshop I just spent way to long on. Just some ideas. Less channel, less/no Z in the front of the frame, maroon paint, and some poorly drawn velocity stacks.

Ryland

Attached Files:

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

hahaha!

8. raymay

raymay

Looks like a good start for a project that you can get creative with. If you decide to go with the bomber look, consider giving it some rivets. A friend in our area just finished a slick ride and the rivets really gave it a look that totally if not literally brings the car together and gives it a unique look.

Attached Files:

9. Your gonna put your eye out.

10. rld14

rld14

I'll second the hahaha and raise you a "coffee spit on keyboard"

Funny shit right there

11. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Great car. Enjoy it.

12. I know where there is a complete mopar cowl steering setup for sale.
    And you're even close enough to come pick it up! :D

Build it they way you want it. It's yours!
    And keep us posted on your progress!

13. Greetings from Iowa!

14. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Left Friday night, got the car, and got back home 25 hours and 1,300 miles later.
    [​IMG]

Got it in the garage and start making some measurements. 5" chop, 4" channel, suicide doors, 2x3 boxed frame with 3" Z up front and 14" kick-up in rear.

Ford 9 inch. Tag says it's from a '63-'79 F100, has 3.25 gears, 28-spline axle shafts, and no locker.

Casting and stamp info says the engine block is an '80 350 4-bolt from a C10 or C15.

Heads are camels and casting info says they're from '62-'68, have 2.02/1.60 valves, and 64cc chambers.

The kids had to come out and hop in it. They love it. :D
    [​IMG]

Got to work tonight getting rid of the channel. The body is just too damned low. Raised the body tonight, tomorrow I'll cut the body mounts off the frame and relocate them.
    [​IMG]

15. You have obviously been paying attention, your first change is a good one. Making it easier to get in, drive and enjoy will make a huge difference. :D Looking forward to this one already.

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

you learn quick grasshopper.lol good as any place to start. get that body off the ground.!!! that car looks familar for some reason. i cant place it but i know ive seen it before or at least pics.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This will be interesting to watch un fold! You may want to check the rear end travel, looks like the spring shackles are bottomed out already against the spring perch....................

18. badshifter

badshifter

Its been bashed here on the HAMB a few times. Good to see it getting un-ratted. Ambitious project!

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Like your direction and your attitude too! Gonna be a fine, fun ride!

Staying tuned for the updates

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That rear spring setup is in need of revamping. The perches need to be moved out toward the axle housing flanges to duplicate the original Ford "in tension" mounting of the spring. In your photo the spring shackles are hanging straight down indicating the spring is "loose" and when weight is applied and a nice road bounce the spring will bottom on the mounts.
    When properly installed 28-41 rear and front spring shackles will be parallel to the ground. After the chassis weight is applied the shackles will settle in to an angle of 45 degrees or so. This tension lets the suspension work well and makes it possible to do without a Panhard rod.

21. lowelife

lowelife

Looks like a good start. Seeing that you have kids, it is possible to be chopped and channeled and still have a back seat. My '31 is chopped 3 1/2" and channeled 4" and I still run a back seat for the kids. Just takes some planning.

22. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Thanks, guys.

I saw the problem with the rear end and will address it when we return from Hawaii (stationed there for three years). Good info about not needing that panhard - something I didn't know. I could tell as it rode on the trailer that it needed suspension help (needs front shocks, I'm thinking about friction shocks up front) but for now my focus is raising the body before it goes into storage this weekend.

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but that's what I wanted - a project that I could build and make it my own. Unfortunately I'll just have this week to work on it.

23. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Do you happen to have a link to the bashing? I'd like to read the constructive criticism. :D

24. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Body mounts are now flush with the top of the frame. You'll have to forgive the welds, it's been a while. :eek:

[​IMG]

25. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Here's a shot of the new stance and the air filter that just showed up. I decided the air filter would be the one thing I buy new for it before it goes into storage.
    [​IMG]

I could just as easily put a picture of Wall-E or Johnny Number 5 here. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Side view of the engine/filter placement. Undecided where this will sit. Will figure it out after I stare it at for a while.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm going to wait until later to mess with the shackle angle on the rear suspension. I thought about doing it now, but adding the interior and everything else that isn't on the car will add weight and I'll likely have to re-work the leaf spring mounts again later.

So, to save myself the hassle, I'll wait until the car is much more complete to mess with shackle angle.

26. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

well you on the way to making it YOUR car. keep up the good work. i just hope with all you have to do to it, you didnt pay too much

27. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

oh, and ditch the shotgun scoop!

28. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Price wasn't too bad of a concern. I had just sold my Jeep and intended to get the car with a portion of that cash. I liked it when I saw it, could see the end goal in my head, now I just need to enjoy getting it there.

I'm at a point right now where stress has been having a pretty severe impact on me mentally and physically. The trip to pick up this car and the bit of time I've spent working on it have been the most enjoyable days I've had in the past few months. :)

There's no price you can put on your sanity, and this car is helping restore me as um...I restore it.

If that makes any sense. :confused:

So...which is it? Make it mine or make it yours? :p

29. Mark68

Mark68

You may want to look at redoing those rear hairpins and possibly replacing them with a 4-link or ladder bars.If you choose ladder bars move the front mounts as close to center of the frame as possible(either side of the drive shaft),that is part of the issue that is there now.with the hairpins paralell to the frame(not triangulated) the hairpins,mounts or the weakest point will flex and eventully break when the axle moves up and down unevenly like when cornering or entering a driveway at an angle.My car was bought as a prodject in progress and was done that way and the more i read here about rear suspension setup i see it will only cause problems later. Good luck with your new ride

30. Slipped Wrench

Slipped Wrench
    from TN

Thanks man. I wondered about the hairpins as I was under it working. I was laying there going "I don't know if it's the Jeeper in me or what, but those look weak to control the rear end."

Seems I had the right train of thought there. Good to know I'm not too far off with what I'm thinkin'.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012