Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit has a DIY metal shop...now we just need to use it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dvlscoupe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

If you guys around here aren't familiar with Techshop over in Allen park here's your chance. The grand opening is May 5th-6th and I'm hoping to get some of us out there with our cars for lunch and a tour of the joint. I'm hoping to get some hot rods and customs out there so my roadster won't be the only one.

I've already met a couple HAMB guys there so some of you know what it's about but for those of you that don't it's a DIY fab shop, think welders, planishing hammers, bead rollers, english wheels, full machine shop, a water jet!, powder coating, sand blasting. They have it all!

Let me know if you need any info or just want to drop by.

Sorry if it sounds like an informercial!

http://techshop.ws/

2. Ok I am interested. Where in Allen Park? Can you work on your project there? Sounds like a fun way to kill some time next winter

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks for the heads up. i live in A.P. and didnt know anything about it.

4. Makes me want to move back to Allen Park.

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

cool idea but 99 a month is a little steep for a once in a while kind of thing

6. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

The shop is on at 800 Republic Drive, behind the Lions training center off Rotunda. About 30 seconds east of southfield freeway.

Tiki- You can work on anything you want there. I've been working on the roadster there off an on as well as a few other things. The have a ver nice auto area with a chainfall and a hoist coming soon.

7. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I live in a condo that has a single car garage with my neighbors living above the garage, If the car is in the garage I don't have room for the tools, $100 a month is well worth it haha.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i work at ford new model programs on oakwood between 94 and southfield, its right behind us.

9. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Being a ford employee you may want to check out the membership fee's.

10. Soviet

Soviet

Quite on the contrary. A place to work, access to tools and priceless experience. Sounds to me like a very wise investment for guys with limited space to work.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

Im only saying $1200 a year for a membership is a little steep when I may only use the shop for a couple hours 2 / 3 times a year if I was doing an actual project and uing the equipment on a daily / weekly basis ... yea its not bad

12. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Just bumpin' this for the night crowd. If anyones interested in attending let me know so I can get some kind of head count to pass on.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Garage Mahal in Ypsi charges $900 a year just for one space. You can work in the space with your own tools and such but it doesn't have all the extras that the Allen Park places states. I think the $1200 is reasonable for all thats offered.

I'm heading to the car show in Riverside Park in Ypsi on that Saturday but might be interested in attending on Sunday if you're going to be there.;)

14. brownhauler

brownhauler

That is a wonderful idea! Just add up the cost of the machines alone. That would make it worth the $99 a month to me. Wish I were closer!

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Wish they had something like that in my area. I just visited there web-site and it sounds killer. I have a big shop and a lot of tools but they list MIG,TIG, Laser cutters, industrial sewing machines, etc. It would cost a guy one big stack of cash to buy all that stuff.

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Cool deal. Hope it takes off!

17. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

i looked at the web site, it's really not a place to work on a vehicle. it looked like more of a place to bring stuff into, work on it and take it home at daily. so you'd still need a place to work on the vehicle. more like a work table environment.

18. snelson57

snelson57

I would be all about that for $100 / month in the Milwaukee area

19. ironpile

ironpile

I`ve had a similar idea,but in a small town not enough rodders to make it work.Too bad.

20. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Come down and check out the shop, There's a huge auto bay and there will be plenty of storage space to roll your project to while you're not beatin' it up.

21. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I'm heading to the car show in Riverside Park in Ypsi on that Saturday but might be interested in attending on Sunday if you're going to be there.;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. Are you refering to the show n shine on the 6th? I'll be there from the 4th-6th to give you a personel tour though ;-)

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

Hmmmm. Are you refering to the show n shine on the 6th? I'll be there from the 4th-6th to give you a personel tour though ;-)[/QUOTE]

personal tour hmmmmm......

I like the way you work LOL

23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hell, I'm up for coming out. Might have to bring one of the OT cars though...

24. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Sounds good to me.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks for the heads up, If Im not working that weekend I'll try to stop in

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd teach there if evenings and weekends wasn't the standard. I also noticed they don't do finishing. Still a great leg up for those who roll their own. Sewing training is WAAAYYY overdue. Not enough of that talent left around here.

27. Grundgedog

Grundgedog

I saw the guy that is starting up TechShop's do a demo in Vegas. Pretty cool concept, he wants people to get away from the tv set and create something !!! He said in the fifties, lots of garages had lathes, and lots of people built tons of fun things on their own. He said people are missing out on their creative side by not doing this.

He showed a team of people that came up with a system for preemies born too young, he says it will wind up saving 1000's of lives a year. Sorry, cant remember exactly what it did, but Techshop provided an industrial sewing machine in the facility to stitch together the materials to make this thing work.

He had a wheelchair on mini-homemade "tank tracks", just a bunch of cool stuff.

He had a demo set up, EVERYTHING from starting your concept in CAD to waterjet, laser cutting, CNC routering, mills, welders and the list goes on...

Also a small injection press for making small plastic parts. Use the cad to design a mold, use the mills to make the mold, etc,etc,...

28. T.R.C.

T.R.C.

I may be up for a tour of the place. Looking to get out of my shop so this may interest me. I might even be able to bring out my bucket if bolts 56 as well. Thanks for the heads up.

29. Storage and Private Workshops

Storage for members' small and large projects is available for an extra charge. A limited number of Private Workshop rooms are also available to members for rental by the month or year.

Please ask the friendly front desk staff for pricing and availability of storage and private workshop rooms.

30. moonman29

moonman29

That is a pretty cool place. I wish we had something like that here in my area.