Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lone Star Round Up 2012 as a First-Timer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasSpeed, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This was my first trip solo out of town to a car show since my dad passed away. That's what made this trip so important to me along with the fact that this would have a lot of HAMB-friendly rides. I grew up going to the NSRA show in OKC and Colorado and while those were fun in their own ways, they don't hold a candle to the Lone Star Round Up. I had a blast and this won't be my last time heading down there for the show.

Friday was very eventful but I would prefer not to go into details. ;) I do need to thank David (Dchaz) for sticking it out with me on that trip. We made it into Austin and headed to the show to take in what we could. For my first impression, it was going to be a good weekend. Long, but good.

Saturday, I sold some parts to a couple buddies to help pay for the trip and to meet some new HAMBers, then made my way to the show pretty early so I could get a good parking spot and spend some more quality time with the cars in there. Of course, the show was so big that I didn't cover all of it. I missed a couple of the ones I was looking towards to seeing like Tuffy, JohnnyCola's Caddy-powered Ford, etc.. :( But I still saw a lot of the rides that I had only been able of admiring from behind a computer screen so it was definitely more than worth Friday's events and the trip down there. I also met up with a good friend, Jared (JJK) and finally got to see his sister's car that he had been telling me about. I spent some time BS'ing around with him and Darrell (Caddy-O) who traded his gorgeous short-wide Chevy truck for an early '50's Chevy coupe at the show.

One of the things I was looking towards to at the show would be seeing the reactions from some of you guys when y'all saw that I'm deaf. There were plenty of moments where I told people that I'm TexasSpeed on here and they gave me that blank stare that said: "Oh shit.. He's deaf." :D:cool:

I would have to say Elrod was the most accommodating. Thanks, Elrod! He pulled out his iPhone and we were talking back and forth about his car and my project at home. He was pretty cool about my deafness as were several other HAMBers like Ryan, Chris, JeffreyJames, Anderson, DreddyBear, etc.. I met Jesse James as well but I was more excited about meeting Brian Bass and Ryan than I was Jesse so it's all good. Brian's a pretty laid back dude. Totally different from what I was expecting. Joyo was excited to meet me but because he recognized my handle from DogFightMagazine. Haha. Jeff Norwell was also pretty cool to me when Flat-Top Bob introduced me to him. I came back and bought a couple things from him.. I need some of that Norwell flavor in my room.

This was a pretty great weekend! I didn't really get out much outside of the show and the ASS party but this was a great learning experience. Now I have a better idea of how to plan my weekend next year.

Here are some pictures from the Dallas-Fort Worth HAMBers meeting at the BBQ place to all drive down together.

David (Dchaz)'s ride in front of my cop car..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were several others in that group but I didn't get them all.. One of them had trouble with their '53 Chevy so Dchaz and I stopped with them to help them get back to a friend's shop so they could drop their ride off and get another one. Hope you guys made it to the show okay!

More to come..

2. Anderson

Anderson

Hey man, good to meet you!!! Sorry we didn't get to chat more...I was a bit distracted. Hope to see you around my friend!

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

After running over to Flat-Top Bob's booth to sell a part to Neil (Candy-Man) and meeting Jeff Norwell, I pulled out my camera and started from Bob's booth beginning with this car..

[​IMG]

Then I walked down to John's booth..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I proceeded to check out the other booths..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darrel's (Caddy-O) short-wide..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Good meeting you man! Fun to put a face with the name.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Haha. No problem. It was nice meeting you as well. I was distracted as well.. Elrod's supercharged coupe is at fault here. ;) maybe whenever I'm in the metroplex (which is often), I'll hit up the Cars & Coffee in Dallas and we can chat some.

It was nice meeting you as well! I still don't think you're that tall however. :D

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dude it was awesome meeting you and actually really refreshing to just text-talk you instead of shouting over the music. Let's face it in this day in age it's just as fast an easy to do that then talk almost!! Plus no awkward silences haha!!!

Look forward to shooting the shit again and let me know if you have questions about that 283/39 trans combo bid!! See you next year...that is if you don't move to NC!

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I never thought about that.. Was the music that loud that you had to shout outside standing close by the gate? I wouldn't know. :D

Ah, North Carolina has a long ways to go before convincing me to move. I'll start making a list of questions about that combo that I'll send over your way later. I got a bunch of other stuff outside of cars to worry about first. It was awesome meeting you as well!!

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Hey man it was nice meeting you! give me a shout if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods. keep the pictures coming too

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

It was nice meeting you as well! PhotoBucket is being lame.. It isn't fast enough at all. Haha!

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I finally got to see two of my favorite deuces of all time..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Los Cochinos!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I also finally got to see Bobby Bleed's roadster.. One of my favorite hot rods. I took some killer shots with it at the ASS party which I'll post up later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also went and renewed my alliance membership so I could get the 2012 tag. I got my 2011 tag last December and figured I would rather renew in January every year that way I stay current.

Ryan in action.

[​IMG]

17. Great pics, had so much fun.

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks, man! Me too.

21. Do you have a picture of the car Caddy-O traded his truck for? I love that truck!

22. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Great meeting you at the show man sorry I didn't have more time to chat.

Thanks for the kind words on our work

23. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

Thanks for the Great pictures!!

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I didn't get one of it.. It's nice however. I think Jared told me that Darrell is planning on chopping it. It's already got a great stance, chrome reverses, white walls.. so it's a great start. I love that truck though.

No problem. I didn't want to keep you from doing what you do best. You put those group shots up yet?

Thanks for thinking they're great! :D

25. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

thanks for the great pictures, great to hear about your trip.
    Couldn't make it this year, so at least I can share it with you.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

best coverage yet

28. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Great pics ,thanks for posting!

29. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Great pics, it was good to finally meet you!

30. Dude, I get that look all the time, only mine is "Oh shit...he's a douche"