Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Bomber made it back to base from Austin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Apr 15, 2012.

1. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

We made it home from Austin to Houston, TX safely transporting the Lockheed Lodestar (a.k.a. the Beat Up Bastard). We managed to make it back in without getting any more tickets from the police. I would like to thank all of you that put in $2 in the bomb to help us pay off the tickets that we got on the trip out there. We had a great time and I hope you enjoyed your chance to sit in the cockpit of this piece of WWII history. I really appreciate ya'll.
    Jason Barnett
    P.S.

On the way home we stopped in Brenham to eat lunch. When we came out of the restaurant there was an old man silently looking at the plane. When we walked up, he told us that he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944 and that he was captured by the Germans and held prisoner for 6 months. It was hair raising to hear his emotional story. The plane stirred up a lot of forgotten memories from the 86 year old man. Hearing his stories and seeing all of the people having a good time in the plane at the Round Up made up for any trouble the cops gave us along the way. Man what a good time I had![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wow! Did you get tickets for it being to long?

3. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Thats awsome...

4. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

Looks like your Artoo unit survived the trip nicely!

5. Would make a cool camper:eek:

6. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's got a truck/motorhome chassis to go under it.

Glad to see that you and the plane made it there and back home with little mishap outside of the ticket.

8. Was neat to see it in person. Your artwork was awesome!
    The coolest thing though was the fact that you were letting kids go inside the plane!
    I saw one kid sticking his head out the pilots window, he looked like he was having the time of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

9. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I pretty much was asking for a ticket because we were too long and according to the cop, we didn't have enough red on the tail end. I had a friend of mine following me with his hazard lights on too.

10. 29ToyA

29ToyA

looks like R2D2 made the trip too.

I've never seen one with a "glass nose" before.

Nice to see it being saved.

11. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I think people took more pictures with R2D2 than they did with the plane!

12. Was good seeing it in person, your artwork is amazing

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Cop must have been bored...
    If anyone would have run into that, they should have been arrested for driving while blind!

14. daddio211

daddio211

Did you write the cop a ticket? You know, for being a communist?

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I'm going to court over it. We stopped about every ten miles along the route to check the straps on the load, for fuel and because people kept wanting to take pictures with it. Multiple times when we stopped the local cops would come over and take pictures and they were all great! The jerk that wrote the tickets(officer Lennox of the Harris County Sheriff's Department- B Male- app 40 years old) listed 11 violations that he had on me. He tried to say that my load was over weight( over 26,0000 gvw) The plane only weighs 2500lbs and the trailer 4500lbs. He said that I needed a commercial license to haul the plane and that he was giving me a ticket for not having a commercial license as well.He tried to actually right that ticket! I told him since we were at a truck stop, why don't we just go across the scales. He declined. He eventually settled for over length vehicle, no red flag- even though we had a ton of red on the plane, and having a farm tag on the trailer, for tickets.
    I'll be bringing photos to court of the red tape that we had all over the plane. I hope the judge is a veteran.

The friend of mine that was following me with his hazards on, has a brother that is a Harris County Sheriff as well. Mike called his brother and his brother knew the jerk. His brother talked to officer Lennox on his cell phone and Lennox's response was- AND? Officer Lennox is a poo poo head.

16. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Thank you!

17. Beau

Beau

9 times out of 10, the officer won't show up for the hearing.

Looks like it was fun!

18. It was a great surprise to see the bomber at the show, after following the story here on the HAMB. Thanks for sharing it with everyone. I really dig your artwork too! I so wanted that yellow bubble.

19. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Thats the MOST UN-AMERICAN THING I'VE EVER HEARD

20. amen brother.

21. striper

striper

Maybe you meant fascist? There's a small difference. :confused:

Cool old plane.

22. What a beauty ! Are you going to restore? or Convert?... what's it's future?

Toooo coooool.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But if by chance Officer Lennox does show up, for your sake I hope nobody shows him this:

24. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Look up " Lockheed Lodestar" on the Hamb. There is a whole thread devoted to the disaster.

25. That thing was amazing in person!! Sorry for all your troubles and F officer Lennox!!
    Glad ya made it back safely too

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That used to be the case. Ask me how I know.

27. Great story.
    Very cool of you to share your toys with the crowd!
    My money says you will get the tickets torn up.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man it kinda screwed with me for a minute, seeing a B-25 style nose on a Lodestar! Different, but for what your building what a place for passengers to sit! Fantastic!

I think I have shown you this before, an Aussy had the same idea. All I know about it is, it was built shortly after the War ended, toured the country then sat for a long time. Not sure of the drive line, though someone once told me it was a Flathead Ford but that doesn't seem to fit in with the build time-line?

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Doc.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Youre a ruler man. You should have had R2s head stickin out of the roof of the fusolage...

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I'd take it to court anyhow..just in case you win ,you can nanner nanner in the cops face!:eek::D

its always good to hear of someone winning one against the estabishment. Its getting to the point where there is a law against every dam thing, soon you wont be able to get off your chair to do anything.

wait until you get it on the road..