Register now to get rid of these ads!

Switching careers on a bad note....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkinsonSpeed, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I recently had a life changing event happen and made me think about a few things... Im currently a welder/fabricator by trade and have been for years but recently that has kicked me in the ass. Even with masks and breathing equipment welding has killed my breathing and throat tissue because of the 12 hour days, six days a week plus the hours of welding at my own shop when i get the chance. And with heavy production Mig welding it creates alot of smoke. I found out i currently cant continue abusing my breathing system like this, i have sensitive tissue in my throat and so on. Anyways.... Im stumped on what i should seek now to learn from scratch and become good at. I need help and ideas with any careers you or someone you know are in. Bodyshop is out of the question, But machining and CNC catches my eye and i know the pay and work is there but with a huge hospital bill and not enough funds to go to school im not sure how hard it would be to jump into that trade. I would love to keep it in the trade work i love but i new ideas are key to looking at a new future. So any ideas are helpful and im always listening.

2. ...can't really help ya, but I'd like to see more of that avatar car...

3. Shop foreman, inspector, Get out of the hood but stay in the same field.

I worked as a fitter, 30 mins a day hood time.

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Sitting waiting for a floor... Im going to continue welding at my shop and fabricating, Just not beating myself to death over it.

Attached Files:

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

How about a CWI??

6. Well if you know the work how about estimating?

That's what got me out of the field in my profession. I used to project manage but I got sick of being abused by the clients and having to be wet nurse to derelict techs that could not man up and be human beings and consequently show up sober or indeed at all ( but I'm not bitter LOL!)

7. Brandon I like your sig. Two words that should always be used in a sentence.

8. olpaul

olpaul

quality engineer (QE). You're more than qualified. Do the welding planning and estimating, sign off the welding schedules and the drawings.

9. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

When my health made me change careers I went to the state department of vocational rehabilitation and they helped me with schooling and stuff while I was retraining. It worked for me, it might work for you also. They tested me to find the best possible fit and I have been in my new field for 29 years now.

10. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I changed my carreer @ 40. Went totally off the grid from what I was doing before. I was a GM Master Tech and no I am a cop. Scarey as hell to make a change but the old gig was litterally killing me. But if you really want to do it you can.

11. First off if you smoke cigarettes then quit! You can hardly bitch about breathing problems on the job and still light up ... you cant have it both ways.

With that said, get into the estimating or layout aspect if you want to stay in the same field ..... otherwise catch up with technoligy and go the CNC or cad-design route. Its a rough patch learning new stuff (training doesnt usually provide a salary) but the end result is bright.

(sorry about the smoking lecture, if you do, but it is simply a statement of fact)

12. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Thanks everyone, Yea i dont smoke, and thats why they never caught what situation i was in until it was too late. Im thinking Cad, i already design parts for waterjet cutting so its not alien to me but i taught myself and im sure im not real proficient at it. Hell my buddy said get a internship at a upholstery shop, he said they are always the cleanest car guys and it would be neat but nothing close to here for that. Inspecting and QC is something i never thought of and will look into. Lots of natural gas production around here (i build frac trailers as of right now) so im sure they always need someone in those fields. And the cop deal.... Its hard to pass the interview process when they send you to a psychologist that caught you with his daughter back in high school, that was a fun day.

13. powmia

powmia

I was in a similar spot, I ended up going in the Air Force and it's been 10 years since. Dont know if you're in a spot to do it but it's a good place to be, plus easy access to all the tools you could imagine. I've got a buddy that does the machine work for the planes and they have it all (CNC/CAD/CAM/waterjets, mills, you name it, he can do it and they trained him)

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try talking to some of the big company's that you used parts or equipment from. They may want a rep that has actually been in the business for a while and has an idea. Worked for my father, he became a rep at 50.
    This is a good temp job to pay the bills and then for school bill's too, once done with school, it's off to the promised land (We hope!);).

I understand what it's like having all you know suddenly taken away and your left wondering WTF do I do now?:eek:
    I was an Army Airborne/SF Medic for many years, then after 2,660 parachute jumps one went wrong and I ended up out on my ass. The best advice I can give is, Square up the shoulders, take a deep breath and leap into it. You may not know what you really want until you are deep in the job market looking around.

Hope things go well for you.

Doc.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. Invest in a smoke eater!

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, PS;

How about teaching/trainer? Either in votech, or private situations, like say, consultant to co's that have problems or their guys need "tune-ups".

Or maybe a rep for various welding co's/dealer. Could demo at large shows, etc?

Maybe sales in/for welders & supplies?

Marcus...

17. Dyce

Dyce

Torch welding clean steel dosn't give off much. I'm a diesel mechanic age 43 and understand your situation. I'm not real sure how long I'll be beating myself up working on big trucks.

18. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yea also is the fact that most of the guys i have worked with over the years are just worn out at 40 or 50 and dont enjoy it but that's all they know how to do. I dont want to be one of those guys that only knows one career, i have worked in a few different markets but welding is common sense to me and that why i enjoy doing it. Hell i even thought about expanding my shop and doing some stuff that no one else does around here but demand is low and overhead is too high. Im still going to get into cutting windshields and stuff to do as side work for now. And im in my 20's, not married and no kids so i have the option to pack up and move if i had to which i have played around with the idea but again thats a big gamble.

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Teaching/training is now my new career. Not been easy as i've had to do many qualifications and its cost me a fortune. Nearly 4 years now but nearly there. I'll be working with young "troubled" adults and hopefully giving them some support. Work part-time at the moment and love it.
    I used to be an autoglazier trainer/assessor but after 20 odd years it takes it out of your back and shoulders and i needed a new job. I worked out a new plan, how much money i would need to survive and got stuck into it.
    Hopefully it is a job that can't be affected by different goverments, recession, etc, etc and be a career that will last. Nice to be earning a proper wage again aswell.

Good luck in what ever you do!

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

A place where the F-Word is actually necessary.Being a Cancer(Leukemia)Survivor and 8 months post stem cell transplant,I'm with you on that.And to our welder,you only get one life,so take care of your health.

21. GreggAz

GreggAz

22. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I actually have a fresh air rig but with this job you literally are laying on the ground, climbing and squeezing in places where the bulky pack isn't kin to, I've actually already replaced my box once from laying on it wrong. And yes my health is important to me, so heavy welding is out of the question, unless its underwater but i know that school isn't cheap either.

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I went through a similar situation 20 years ago, due to lung damage from working in body shops and garages, breathing paint fumes, bondo dust, exhaust gases, and asbestos filled brake lining dust.

So, I got out of fixing cars and began fixing houses. Bought some cheap rental properties and fixed them up, developed a rental income, bought some and fixed them up and sold them, etc. and ended up doing very well.

If this idea appeals to you, suggest you go on disability right away and start learning about real estate investing. Borrowing money at the best advantage, and only investing in properties with a positive cash flow is the key. Doing your own fix up may be necessary at first but really does not pay. Just buying good properties and hanging onto them pays best with the least work.

Or, the suggestion to get into teaching is excellent. Any kind of government job today offers the best pay, best working conditions, and a guaranteed pension. A much better deal than you are going to get in the private sector.

24. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

I'm sorry for every story I hear like that

25. When my health failed the FED sent me back to school to be a CAD Tech. If you have a fabrication background that is a pluus in the industry. it also helps to be 40 years of age or less. May be something to look into.

26. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Yea, what beaner siad. Fortunately you are in the great state of Texas. Check with your local TWC office and talk to someone about retraining. I was in the HR field for years and the state offers a lot of retraining opportunities. I would teaching may be a fit, but probably a big huge pay cut. And be prepared for starting over at a lower pay whatever field you get into as a new guy.

27. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Indeed on the pay cut but fortunately i dont live a lavish lifestyle, still got my 01 dakota with over 200 thousand miles and will keep her until she dies. Never had a credit card either, bad for my credit but good for not being in debt. Hell i just got done reading a couple threads on that guy in Detroit that keeps the old Packard plant on lock down, Sounds like a good life to me. Next week im going to call around and see about the workforce stuff and maybe a few tech school on drafting and such to get a idea on what im getting myself into. I could also go for a more fabrication based job with less welding and less hours but enjoy it more than some of the current available jobs around here. And H.G. Nice FED, You know the car Cantankerous and the Newlins?

28. yruhot

yruhot

Hey there ParkinsonSpeed, I thought you were older,not in your 20's. You got a lot of life ahead of you, and sometimes health issues are the biggest motivators to making a life change. At least you aren't an old duck like 50 or something worse and have to face all the Age discrimination issues. I'm 57 years old now and in my 20's early thirtys ( can't remember,ok 1983) I was a us letter carrier after serving in the army 3 years. I started having tremendous foot problems, not the thing to have as a letter carrier. I started to worry and needed a plan B. Had some VA left and was always interested in A/C work. which is a pretty good gig here in Las V egas. Continued to carry mail by day and went to trade school at night. Finnished night school and was able to transfer over to Bldg Maint. Got a 97 % on their in house test and a good work history. Anyway started doing side jobs then finally got my Contractors license and am now retired from the Post office and doing my own thing. But if it hadn't been for those foot problems I would have been a letter carrier for like 38 years. Oh yes the foot problems turned out to be Gout. You maybe too young to know anything about Gout but it hurts like you know what. Saw a show on a trade that need lots of works but not enough in the trade and that was Machinists. The show was on some Sunday morning show and they have a real good machinsts school on Oakland Ca. Just a thought and I glad you got your head on straight about handling money. It does give you a lot of options in life. OK well good luck.YRUHOT............doug

29. To check out 3D cad go to Alibre.com and down load their free download it will get you started with some insight as to how it is to use. I worked in the shop for many years then moved to CNC programing , then on to drafting. If you look at any type of drafting go to 3D such as Inventor ,Solid works, ALibre. Good luck Gary