Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best swap meet buy, that you'll never use but won't get rid of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Was just reading another thread on best swap meet buys. My guess most of us have bought something that has not made (or ever will) it to the intended car. I have a few of those. But how about that part that you just had to have knowing you will never use and probably wouldn't part with for anything ?

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Set of B&J headlights that were $75, found at a big car event AFTER they had become a pricey fad! Cheap Ford tubular axle...also found for ridiculous price.

3. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

bought a spalding distributor for a sbc back in the late 70s or early 80s because it was a deal at $5. Never used it and probably wont but it still looks kind of cool. also, a tunnel ram manifold made by warrior for Pontiac engines. had it forever and hasnt made it onto a poncho mill of mine yet!

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

found an NOS rear fender gravel shield to fit 49-50 Chevrolet 2 door "Specials" and 49-52 sedan deliveries. it is chrome steel on Deluxe cars, but this one is rubber coated for the Specials. there is also a little rubber piece that goes below it and kind of fits it to the rocker molding.

super rare part as most cars were deluxe. I have seen a couple on ebay since then, but they have all been the same side. I have removed mine completely, so I'll never use it on my car.

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

i found 2 sets of cherry 54 chevy hubcaps at the portland swap last year for a hundred. i was stoked

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Scintilla Vertex magneto for a Porsche 356 (also fits VW beetle)

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Old wheels, a hundered different hubcaps, cool old gauge cluster......... I think I might need a 12 step program because if it is old and looks cool it ends up in my junk stash.

8. Swap meet guy was selling all mustang parts so I didnt look . But he did have a cardboard box sitting way in the back of his stall with "ALL $10" written on it ... I was curious, went out of my way to check it out ..... Complete set (inner and outer) of '59 Chevy wagon/elky (I have a sedan delivery wagon) tail lights, and bezels of the chrome-ribbed Nomad-style PLUS a pair of front headlight buckets.... I gave him his damn $10! and then he says, "I dont even know what they fit. My girlfriend said sell them all for ten dollars ... they came off her ex-boyfriends car" ..... do Mustang folks have tunnel vision??

9. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I found 4 SP tops at a small swap meet over the winter. This was the second day of the swap meet too. All four for $250.

Attached Files:

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Paxton Supercharger for 25$ only I did have it on one engine a 74 Pinto 2.3 all mounted up but never run, It was supposed to go in the T bucket I had planned back in 81 that ended up on hold till last year! Still have the Paxton and still plan to put it in the T but I need a new engine for it.

11. Beau

Beau

I have LOTS of old tools that I scored from meets. Old tools have a special place in my heart. Shovels, Rakes, wrenches, HAMMERS!!, drills, saws....your know.

The old aluminum drills are SOOOO neat. But not worth using.

12. It's all for sale at some point. Whether you are alive or dead. I would rather see the money while living.

13. Koz

Koz

An old 7up aluminum cooler chest. My good friend, Ace Thompson picked it up at a swap and then gave it to me back when we first met in the old Aces & Eights club. The fact that he didn't really know me that well but was still willing to just hand something this valuable over without any expectation of compensation means a lot to me. It goes nowhere and say a lot about club brotherhood!

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Bought a set(4) of nice 16" "Lyons" hub caps for $20.. May use or sell them though.....

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a "Crew Levick" gas globe - faces & body- at Hershey about ten years ago for $125.00. It was the 3rd day of the swap meet and thousands of people must have passed it by. It was sitting under the vendor's table. I took it home, washed it up and put it on Ebay. Got $1100.00 for it! My best score ever.........

16. Muttley

Muttley

An ancient pair of JC Penney slicks.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Mallory distributor for (I found out later) an FE for $10. I'll never use it, but a complete Mallory for that price? Couldn't pass it up!

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Yes, Yes we...er....THEY do.:D Used to be one but Ive' been clean for 10 years now.

19. Drag Fast shifter for a 65/66 Mustang, still in the orig box.......i could'nt leave it there.

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

A hand painted wood sign. Thursday labor rate had to be about 2 bucks an hour.

21. I also have one of the rubber ones...I thought it to be quite rare too.:)

22. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

i found an old fuel block in a bunch of mustang parts for 20 bucks