Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info Sought- 1932 Ford Cabriolet- Old New York Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredt, Dec 11, 2011.

1. NORSON

NORSON

Yah, anything '32 is platinum. Lower patch panels are available commercially, the rest will need to be made. Still wish it was mine. Saw a '32 Cabriolet body at the Portland swap meet about 4 years ago that was about 50% better. They wanted $6,000. In hind sight the price wasn't that bad. Norm

2. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Wow so real different stuff.
    So the quarters are shorter....

I wanted a cabriolet since the day i saw one on the back cover of Tony Thackers book.

3. NORSON

NORSON

Stumbled on the pictures of the Cabriolet that I passed on in about '64. Thought I'd show you why I still grieve.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Very cool pics.

Maybe sneak those into the 50s hot rod picture thread? I suppose someone would notice the big meats on the 32 3w though :)

Look at the sheetmetal they had to start with back then....sigh:rolleyes:

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

You can still find them and chased this one for years. now it is just sitting collecting dust :D I found a few parts just the other day and now just missing the topirons

WOW WOW WOW great picture and just digging the dash

Attached Files:

6. dcwest32

dcwest32

just for information on 40 dashes, the 3wd is wider and doesn't need to be cut in width and all the others, sedans, cabs, 5wds need 1 3/4 cut , thats why the speaker grille is narrowed, I 've done both with sucess, don't have any pic's to show but a couple of hamers have the cars and may see this and post.

7. F&J

F&J

You can do it without cutting the speaker grille. I have done the trimming out at the ends, instead.

8. NORSON

NORSON

You mentioned the car with the "big meats". Here is the picture of his "other" car. Met him when he came driving into fort Ord with two duffel bags sticking out of the rumble seat. I wondered all these years what happened to that car. found out two years ago when Rod and Custom did an article on its restoration.
    Norm

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. F&J

F&J

These are really great pics, Norm. Thanks for posting them.

Looks like the coupe has a front sway bar, which is unusual. ..and I spotted the custom grille in the 55 hardtop :)

There seems to be a chrome emblem on the rear of the hood on the 32 3w? Is it a "fuel injection" emblem?

gonzo likes this.
  10. racemad55

racemad55

Looks to be the Doyle Gammel car,one of the top 75 of all time.

11. NORSON

NORSON

It is the Gammel car. It was owned by a guy name Delucca then. It had Rochester injection and a B&M? hydro. The interior was black button tufted.

12. Dave50

Dave50

That car is 1 bad looking Hot Rod!! Man what a great looking car I noticed the sway bar aswell

13. I know your plate is full. Anything new to chew on here though ? Dinner bell ringin' ?

14. hammeredt

hammeredt

Bumping this from the dead.

After many life changes- marriage, selling the Cabriolet, moving to TX, buying a house, buying a '58 Chevy wagon, selling the wagon, buying the Cabriolet back; I am now finally starting to piece it back together in earnest. Work will be slow as I can only manage a few hours a week on it for now, but I will post what is going periodically.

Following some wire brushing on the body panels, I have confirmed that the car was Blue, most likely washington blue. The wheel wells are definitly black, but I think that is only because it had fenders (raised in rear).

I would still love to know if anyone remembers the car, all I have to go on is the following specs that I have unearthed through the disassembly process.

1932 Ford Cabriolet, Unchopped
    Washington Blue body
    Blacked out wheel wells
    Channeled- DEEP! possibly redone deeper at a later time.
    Rear 1/4s drilled for fenders (absent)
    Firewall was covered with white painted galvenized sheet metal
    1940 Ford Dash w/ Pontiac radiohead
    Retractable cowl mounted antenna-passenger side
    Custom Red and White vinyl interior
    Below dash Motorola Radio speaker box
    Shaved door latches- leaded
    '48 Chevy Taillights
    1939 Lincoln Brakes all around
    1939 Columbia 2 speed rear axle
    Wide Five wheels and drums- Marmon Herrington on the rear
    '39 Pedals on modified '32 K member
    K member cut for non Ford transmission
    Cross Steering with 1956 passenger car box-welded to framerail
    Front Frame horns plated on the outside (I believe this is a later mod for an OHV engine)
    1932 heavy axle- undropped
    Split bones (very short) on homemade brackets
    Custom front combination shackle/shockmount
    Tube shocks in rear
    C- noched rear kickup

Reported to have come from Clifton Park, NY

Here are pics of the progress

Load up the pile in Maine
    1.jpg

Arrived in Austin. 2.jpg

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards.
    3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Still not organized.
    7.jpg

I've been wanting to do that for years.
    8.jpg

To be able to do this.
    9.jpg

Test fit of new Jambs. The original ones were split and wasted. Was fortunate to find these, as well as cabriolet rockers, and cowl sides with nice front jambs.
    10.jpg

Still needs some fine tuning with a hammer and dolly (and more grinding).
    11.jpg 12.jpg

Got a steering box at the Fredricksburg swap and had to mock it up.
    13.jpg

brEad, gonzo, T-roaster and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bitchin' ! Missed you .... o_O ... :) (!!) & welcome to Texas sir !!!

16. F&J

F&J

A Mass guy said he thought you sold it. Now I'm up to speed. :) happy you got it back.

A lot of those mods/features in your list are typical of later 50s early 60s, but I bet it was an early 50s that was changed in that decade.

Was channeled hard, and what build style are you going with now? I know you cut off the soft W/S posts years ago, are you going with similar or not? Side glass or not?

Those lower quarter patches; I had a lot of fussing on my ex-5w to get all the edges lined up, and I think the front vertical flange had to be changed on mine: to get the radius bead to line up, and rocker bead to have a nice downward continuous sweep from firewall to rear well.

My fake cabriolet is almost done since you last saw it. Just got my glass cut.
    DSCN0670.JPG

brEad, continentaljohn and gonzo like this.
  17. F&J

F&J

have courage..and patience LOL

bbb.jpg

gonzo and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. hammeredt

hammeredt

Thank you. We are loving it so far. Looking forward to the fall so I won't be sweating my ass off working on this.

19. hammeredt

hammeredt

Frank,
    From what I found, I think the car had atleast 2 owners. The quality of the parts used and the level of finish was very nice for the most part. There were some things that seemed inconsistent, like the front frame plating that was just slid in past the firewall and welded only a postion of the way. Also the firewall and wheel well cust were pretty rough, just flame cut and left raw. I believe this was a nice street car when first finished and later sold to a drag racer, or possibly the owner started racing it later on and was less fussy about finish. If it were me though, if I had built a nicely finished car, I would have a had time hacking it up just to run the quarter. I'd still do a nice finished job for the track.

I am still thinking channeled, though I will rebuild the body with original rockers ontop of the frame to get it together right, then channel it. I have kicked around the idea of anti sectioning it a few inches since a channeled deuce can read a little squat depending on what else is done. I would like to run fenders (no running boards and possibly stone guards on the rears) and am again on the fence about raising the wheel wells or just bolting them to the body using the old holes. It's a matter of time. I'd like to not have this drag out over a decade, so I have lately been thinking I should scale back the plan. Right now I am focused on getting the body back together and mounted on a rolling frame. A car blown completely apart takes up so much more room than one fully assembled. As for the windshield I am thinking of rebuilding something similar to stock but with a lean. I previously had thought to make a v'd windshield that bolted on, but that seemed contrary to it being a cabriolet. It needs to be fixed, thats part of the deal on a cabriolet. I'm on the lookout for parts, but still have the ones I cut off which I could repair or use for patterns.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome back! That sure looks a lot better that the first ever photo you posted. Reminds my of my '30 Roadster, old channeled body, sold it, got it back 25 years later, and the slow rebuild continues. Bob

21. F&J

F&J

I know I personally would not do an anti-section. These old builds were influenced by the sports car frenzy then. I think it would bulk it up too much. it does not take much to hurt the eye.

But, wow, your other plans are so very uncommon on rebuilds or new builds. That all would be a show stopper in my mind.

I get what you mean about moving rear well/beads up, versus just bolting as it was. I think it will become easy to decide when you get fenders to fool with. I sure don't like the "high bustle" look on mine, above the rear fenders. It really needs either a section there or what you plan with a channel. But I will live with mine as is.

Timwit bumped an old build on his 34 cab, showing making new W/S posts.

22. hammeredt

hammeredt

This will definitely not be a typical modern reinterpretation of a traditional hot rod. I am in the same boat as the guys who made the original sports rods- influenced by the asthetics and engineering of European Sports Cars of the era. That is largely due to a pair of headlights I found at an antique store years ago. Like my T before, which was built around a set of rear wheels, this build will be inspired by the headlights. Another sports car element that will make its way into the build is the top mechanism which is from a 1955-'59 Fiat 1100 TV Spider. Its a good looking top that has weather seals for side windows. Its also very similar in design to the original mechanisms, so it will not look out of place in the interior.

I puttered around yesterday, stripping more rust, reasuring myself that there really is metal under it all. While sanding, I found the original color of the car, Brewster Green. I also started repairing the trunk rain gutter. Initially it looked surprisingly sound, but after pulling the quarters apart, pin holes surfaced and as I started cutting into it, it crumbled. I remade the rear part of the tough and will graft in the front half and the corner gussets as they are sound.

I also pulled out the windshield posts from the original cowl. I think I will save them. All the really toasty parts are mostly flat simple bends.

Yes, there is steel under all that oxide. And a surprising amount of paint.
    A3.jpg A4.jpg

Donor jambs came from an old hotrod with welded doors. Torch work to free them cause some loss that needs to be repaired.
    A6.jpg

Lucas 700 " King of the Road" headlamps.
    A7.jpg A8.jpg

Crispy, but enough to work with.
    A9.jpg wallpapers_fiat_1100_1955_1 (1).jpg

1955 Fiat 1100 TV Spider

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like a Sports Rod idea, thanks for posting the Fiat photo, saves Google search time. Good luck with the build. Bob

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations that's wicked cool you got her back. I am stoked that your working on her too. Shit my is still sitting on the pallet rack ha ha ha . I did find some quarter panels though

25. hammeredt

hammeredt

Haven't had much time to do anything substantial, but I finally committed to a windshield plan. I have been kicking this around for years, but didnt want to shell out a pike of money on a gamble. After looking at tons an tons of pics, I gambled. Also i found a deal on the part. I had been unsuccessful locating a 5 window or sedan cowl top to graft onto my cabriolet sides and the upac top was too short. I found a deal on a three window cowl top and grabbed it. I think it will look slick and goes right along with a sporty vibe. Here it is just resting on the sides. I through a door on to size things up. Though it is so far from being a car again, it was encouraging to see the cockput come together (sort of). 20160819_224915.jpg

20160819_222120.jpg

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good 'natural-looking' leanback with the 3 window cowl arrangement, enough to graft to, and make it flow!
    I'm in your fan club, as I helped a local guy here build a dip tank for molasses.
    There was LESS '32 5 window than you received...
    His Dad said, "You can't be serious, that thing's rusted away (Gone!) up to 6 inches below the gunwales!
    (that's the 'door sills' for you non-Navy and USMC guys)
    But the dip tank got built, from standard steel sheet. (11 gauge) Finished tank was 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet long. Body just barely went in, so it was taken apart at the quarters, then the top section and cowl were still attached. Dipped in a mixture of "Horse Molasses" and water.
    Only molasses to use, get 'em at the feed store.
    Not too expensive, Mark got a 55 gallon drum, I think $70? Been awhile.
    Helped Mark hose it off with water a week or so later, (10 days?) It looked 'black', but when hosed off full force, it was a nice grey color. Real steel! Mixture: 1 part molasses to 10 parts water. Some may differ with this, but it worked well.
    Auzzie John grabbed it when the parts came out of the tank, took it to his rented digs in Fresno. Mark found some more pieces, (Pomona, Washington swap, and a large haul of small pieces at Sacramento)
    John pieced it all together, wife Joey and I went to see it. Mark had pushed it out in the yard, we were looking it over... Joey was enthused, really taken by the welding of pieces...some of the sub flooring was spliced so nicely she was elated.
    It had so many 12" square patches (and structural panels!) all different shades/colors from different sources, however that it resembled the dog in "Pet Semetary"!
    We were still there when the guy from Washington State came to pick it up. He had spotted it while driving by, John had just brought it home to Mark.
    Joey and I helped push it onto the car trailer the guy brought back, a mere week later.
    Joey helped the guy count out $22,000 in hundreds, and only a few fifties.
    Body, gennie rails, old rusty '36 front axle with longer main leaf, '36 rear.
    Thirty twos sure get snapped up in a hurry. Mark sold it to finish his other 'Patchwork' project, a '34 Five Window, helped by some sedan top metal, etc. That car sold for a lot, also...
    so he could finish his chopped '34 Three Window...a 'Rollin' Bones' type, just done now. Whew!

27. titus

titus

damn, i have a extra cowl top here if i woulda known!

the car is looking good, glad to see it saved, i have a rough cabriolet that ill get to someday!

JEFF

28. hammeredt

hammeredt

Jeff, Damn is right!! I've been shaking the trees for a cowl top and haven't turned up anything that was reasonably priced or reasonably close. I'll play with this for a bit. I know there is a bit of redesign needed to pull off the body line fade into the windshield. If it starts looking silly soon, maybe I'll hit you up for that extra of of yours. I saw you were hording deuce parts, never occurred to me that there may be cabriolet parts in the stash.

29. hammeredt

hammeredt

Thanks guys for the welcome and encouragement.

John, at least you have one on the road and it's the 2nd one on the pallet rack.

Mike, that was a mouthful, but thanks for the encouragment. Hard to imagine a deuce with less metal than mine. I bought a cheap waterbed mattress for a molasses vat. I'll build up a wooden structure to support it. Its supposed to arrive on Saturday, so hopefully I'll have some parts in the drink before the weekends over. I've had success with small parts in molasses, this will be the first large parts I'll have tried. I have been knocking loose rust off with a wire brush and sanding. This attempt will be going after the really bonded areas and the deep pits. I'll post pictures of the results.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check out 1931 Ford Slant Window cowls, lot cheaper than '32 stuff. Bob upload_2016-9-8_23-8-14.png