Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

I gotta say the Bowtie sounded pretty good, but just didn't have that "reach out an smack you in the ass" persona of the Rocket.....Mike

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Digging that fender mounted breather set-up! Running alky or e85? just race gas?

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale uses PUMP gas,breathers not on there anymore!!If you are staying under 80mph then the hood latch should work.I had one delaminate at 125,not fun.There is a photo on here of my Comet hood bowing up on the outer edges,not sure what speed that starts but the photo was after the finish line and slowing down.I NEVER wanted to put on hood pins,but after wrecking one hood and seeing that picture,it was clear what had to be done!!!I use the stock hood latch too! ROY.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

If you are staying under 80mph then the hood latch should work.ROY.[/QUOTE]

Ok Roy.I'll try and keep it under 80mph..........But no promises:D
    Myron_

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I was just guessing at the speed that the hood distorts!!!Trust me,you DO NOT want the hood coming apart at speed,not fun,and very costly!!!The hood latch will hold but the forces on the rest of the hood from air pressure through the air ducts plays havoc on the lamination and will eventually weaken and break the bond between the two halves!!The hood I have now,I reinforced with laminating resin and fiberglass strips,obviously not enough! ROY.

6. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

A/FX Dave,give us some more detail about the bracket,pin location etc.on A/FX and B/FX for all the anal guys?

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Before I installed my pins, my hood started to curl up at about 100 mph...

Got rid of the small breather set-up, in an effort to try to get the engine to breathe more. Have a new set-up, but, I still continue on 91 octane!!!

8. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

nice garage:)

Attached Files:

9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Picture wont open up....JOHN

10. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Let's see if these pictures turn out O.K......by permission of Dave.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  11. Here's my future axle car!! Just hauled it out of Virginia!!

Attached Files:

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

YEEEEE-HAAAAW!!!!

Thats BITCHIN!!!! I love it when we take a near perfect car- and cut it up!!!!!!! Everyone should be well-versed in the use of grinders, SawZalls, and mig welders!!! Let hear what plans you have??!!

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;how does that old saying go,"anybody can restore a car,it takes a real man to cut one up"!!! Even a similar color to how the 'ROCKET' started out with! ROY.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Indeed, the colors are about identical:

[​IMG]

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Just throwing out there. How Fast is too fast for a straight axle car? Are there 9 sec Straight axle comets out there?

Also has anyone tried the coil over stle straight axle like a Logghe chassis ?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Straight Front Axles on AFX Cars!! Did you ever see "Dyno" Don run his 65 AFX car at Piemonte Dragway in 1965. He was all over the track when he Matched Raced Ronny Sox's 65 AFX Plymouth. Sox won by a long shot that time. They came back the next week, "Dyno" Don put the Straight Front Axle on and Walked away from Sox like he was sitting still. As far as I know he was the First AFX Comet to run a straight front axle. I never Seen a 64 AFX Comet with a Straignt Front Axle until the 80's. It is Great for running Straight, trust me.
    If any body has got pictures of a 64 AFX Comet Please Put them on this Site, I don't mean Comets that were done in the last 30 years.~~~AFX DAVE~~~

17. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Hurt the engine in my Rocket. Not sure how badly, but it seems I've lost the thrust bearing entirely. That "clank" you hear when crankshaft hits a cap with no bearing material ??? I'll be off the radar for a bit. Sheesh..... What it takes to go fast.....:(

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

What about the Shake Rattle roll 64 Comet Late 60's maybe

[​IMG]

Heres the Axle in Jack Chrismans Comet, I think he was the only one with a transverse style spring. I was thinking something like this but with Coil overs like a Logghe Chassis.

Photos courtesy of Fran Hernandez
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I had the Honor of going with Ron Leslie to his induction to the Colorado Motorsports Hall of fame a Couple weeks ago.

Heres a Little Video Clip I put Together For Those who want to see.

[​IMG]

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;you thinking of putting an axle under the Comet? ROY.

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Not that I need another project but I have been thinking of building a Second race car so that I could leave the Sox Comet on the east coast to run some of those series out there.

Here in Denver there is nothing, Just a ET series that is open to everything. I just want to run the nostalgic stuff.

So I've been thinking of Building something for the west coast stuff.I was going to use the current engine for what ever and build a faster FE for the Sox Comet.

I've narrowed it down to either Buying My T-Bolt Project back and finishing it or Doing another 64 Comet that was an Axle, Altered , Injected Car. Something like the Outer Limits, (I think hes in the 9's out there) 64 Plymouth out there.

So I guess thinking out loud, Maybe motivate Fast Eddie on the way to work on his Wagon

Any Ideas

22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I just picked up a '65 Fairlane, out of that collection, Ken. Two door coupe, V-8 car. Could make an easy low-buck screamer out of it. Told Eddie about it, he can fill you in.

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Another transverse axle Comet as delivered in 1965 and as found in 1991.Jimmy Pfluegers 1965 A/FX Comet driven by Earle Char in Honolulu.

Attached Files:

24. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Ken;
    The Shake Rattle Roll 64 Comet Was not done in 64 maybe 65 or later for a gaser class they couldn't run that 64 in 65 AFX, only 65 cars thats what was selling 65 Comet Cyclones.
    The Jack Chrisman 65 Comet was originaly a 64 AFX Comet with 65 Comet sheet metal (rear quarters) to update it to 65 and added the straight front axle when they updated to 65. But it didn't run AFX Class it had a special class. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Awesome shots, Would love to know how the two different styles worked at the track. I'm thinking the single spring set up may have been lighter.Looks like a 4 - 6 inch drop on that Axle

Did Stroppe do that conversion? Good stuff

[​IMG]

26. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Pfluegers 65 A/FX Comet was originally a B/FX Comet.Jimmy Pflueger had a Mercury Dealership in Honolulu and he was very involved with the racing scene.He even owned Hawaii Raceway Park out in Campbell Industrial Park.He tried to order a 1965 A/FX Comet with his connections,but couldn't get one.He was able to get a B/FX Comet,but still wanted a A/FX Comet.He talked to his long time friend Bill Stroppe and Stroppe converted the B/FX to A/FX.The info: 5J27A515030 Body:63E, Color:J, Trim:85, Date:01E, DSO:847315, Axle:1, Trans:5 I have been told that 7 of these Comets were built,and this is the only one built with a straight front axle.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

There is some COOL stuff to be learned from these photos! Adjustable height for the spring perch, for better weight transfer to the back, with the drop axle. These are very, very interesting pics. I doubt if anyone has re-used this technique today... Ken- this may be an interesting project, eh. I'm gonna start looking for a - - - - - to try this on!!!!

28. Dale, what happened to the rocket! Are u still shipping it? Are u going to change you 289 on the front fenders when you "upgrade"

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

It seems the only plausible explanation for the moment is the excessive line pressure from the race trans may have affected the thrust bearing, squishing out the oil on those 8 grand passes. Not sure until I get it pulled and diagnosed...

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;it will be interesting to find out why it wiped out the thrust.Will's wife's 289 had a stock C-4 behind a mostly stock 289 when it took out the thrust.I have pulled worn out engines apart and found the thrust OK,INTERESTING!!!! ROY.